Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 1/11/2015 12:34:20 AM EST
Title pretty much says it all. I need guidance from the scattergun gurus on the board finding a semi-auto SG that can be relatively easily (ie. without extensive custom gunsmithing/fabrication) converted to a pistol grip only setup. More specifically, I'd like to get a grip cut and shaped from a standard shoulder stock down to a "birds head grip". For those unfamiliar;

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Please note however - Please only make suggestions if you know for certain the model you're recommending will actually work with this style of grip. I searched and found several threads asking the same question but all of the responses were not much more than guesses and ended up being incorrect.

As always, thank you in advance!
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 12:45:47 AM EST
NOTE; Should've mentioned this in the first post, but I do not want a Saiga/VEPR or similar style SG.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:56:32 AM EST
Based on lack of recoil spring in the stock alone, two come to mind, off the top of my head. Stoeger M2000 (which I've had and think they're POS), and the new Remington V3 that is slated to come out this spring. V3 gas action similar to Versa Max which I have two of and LOVE!
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:05:09 PM EST
My M3 fits all the criteria.

-No bird's head available, but you can take a M1 wood stock and cut it; will also need a bolt made
-semi auto, and pump

There is also the 1100 Sage Sidewinder variant, cheapest to do but lots of part switching. Other considerations:
-SPAS-12
-Law-12
-SPAS-15
-M3000
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:13:29 PM EST
I figured I would need to have a standard stock cut down into a birdshead grip shape (and mounting hardware sorted) for any semiauto SG I went with. I figure that shouldn't be anything a decent gunsmith would have a problem with handling.

Thanks for the replies! Tgad2, the V3 sounds like a great option - if it weren't for the recoil spring I'd be using a VersaMax as the base platform for this project anyway.

Another autoloader I came across through my own research that seems like it could work is the Benelli Vinci, which - based on the technical descriptions I can find - uses a more compact version of their Intertia Driven recoil system that either doesn't extend past the rear of the receiver at all, or at least doesn't extend very far into the stock (compact enough to fit inside a grip in the shape of a birdshead grip). Does anyone have any thoughts on the Vinci platform? I'll link to it below;

http://www.benelliusa.com/vinci-shotgun
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:19:15 PM EST
I believe the Stoeger M3000 should work, recoil system is around the mag tube. Might have to shorten the stock retainer but it should be doable.
The Charles Daly shotguns have a similar recoil system but are gas operated.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:19:05 PM EST
Convert a Remington 1100 to an ETA Devastator. I believe they offer kits. It's similar to the Sage modification.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:20:28 PM EST
Took a look at the Stoeger, that looks like it'd also be a perfect option! I of course expected to send the stock and receiver to a gunsmith to have it professionally shaped down into the size and style of a birdshead grip and have the mounting hardware taken care of, so that part shouldn't be too difficult. Looks like the Stoeger will be the probable candidate!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:59:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/17/2015 4:00:13 PM EST by tsg68]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:
Took a look at the Stoeger, that looks like it'd also be a perfect option! I of course expected to send the stock and receiver to a gunsmith to have it professionally shaped down into the size and style of a birdshead grip and have the mounting hardware taken care of, so that part shouldn't be too difficult. Looks like the Stoeger will be the probable candidate!
View Quote

Recoil operated guns tend to choke unless they have adequate mass or are solidly braced (shoulder fired). So be sure the platform will cycle handheld only.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:28:49 PM EST
I think the old Mossberg 9200 "Jungle Gun" had no recoil spring in the stock.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:14:02 AM EST
Originally Posted By Cyclic:
I believe the Stoeger M3000 should work, recoil system is around the mag tube. Might have to shorten the stock retainer but it should be doable.
The Charles Daly shotguns have a similar recoil system but are gas operated.
View Quote

the 3000's were good. far better than 2000 series. They push them 3500 series now. 3 1/2" shells. your up in the $450.00 end for a new 3000.

my 2000 will only run hot stuff.

my 3000 ran shit federal 1 1/8 oz. crap. hell it ran all kinds of shit loads,estate,ect......

yes my buddy beat me out of that 3000 too.

at least I eat alot of dove/duck breast every year
dang he has beat me out of 6 shotguns in 4 years

well at least he works them hard. wingshooters beat they're shit up, goose ,duck. dove ..upland. it's funny to see him take a shotgun to a car power wash and spray the mud and shit off. He dries it by a woodburner after it's stripped down,plastic off. lubes and assembles.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:48:02 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/18/2015 2:48:17 AM EST by PAPPYO]
this is a Stoeger 2000. forend. it likes hot shells.1300 fps+ me I'd get a 3000. when I had my 3000 I'd cycle shit walmart fed. target crap/ stuff.

my buddy that has it, dove hunts with it. light loads.shit loads 7/8 oz. is about 80%. 1 1/8 oz is 100%

hell maybe look at those Girsans Bud's in Kentucky are pushing?

they.....stoeger probably reduced the inertia spring in the bolt on 3000. also the 2000 had to tight of fitting magazine tube recoil springs. they bound up on the mag tube. to tight in windings and not ground flat on the ends.

thats just an old hillbillys findings on side by side between the stoeger 2000 and 3000.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:33:42 PM EST
Hey thanks for all the extra info everyone! I definitely think I've made up my mind to use the 3000 as the base platform for this project. Seems like a reliable gun, has the construction necessary to be capable of being modified the way I want to, and won't entirely shred my wallet!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:49:34 AM EST
Originally Posted By DeltaElite777:
I think the old Mossberg 9200 "Jungle Gun" had no recoil spring in the stock.
View Quote

Yep. But finding one that the owner will turn loose of is the rub. Those guns are as good as it gets for semis, and they WILL cycle with just the pistol grip held. They are my personal unicorn.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:36:37 AM EST
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:
Hey thanks for all the extra info everyone! I definitely think I've made up my mind to use the 3000 as the base platform for this project. Seems like a reliable gun, has the construction necessary to be capable of being modified the way I want to, and won't entirely shred my wallet!
View Quote

like I said my 3000 ran like a top. the 2000 has to have hot loads. hey Benelli owns Stoeger

I think you will be good with the 3000.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:10:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By PAPPYO:
hey Benelli owns Stoeger
View Quote

Kind of... Beretta owns them both.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:09:26 PM EST
I'm pretty sure Winchester 1400s took any standard 1300 stock, wich meens you could use a Speedfeed or Shockwave birdshead. I've always wanted a 1400 for that reason. Negatives are small mag capacity. Can't take extension.

I remember the 9200 Jungle Gun. I heald one many times, never could bring my self buy one. Ironically they had problems back then, now they have a cult following. I had actually been in contact with Mossberg in regards to making a tactical shotgun right before they brought out the 930.

You would think that with as crazy as people go for tactical stuff somebody would have made a semi auto with a folder by now.
Top Top