Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2012 4:57:08 PM EDT
I'm pretty sure I want a Marlin 1894C in .357.  I handled a Rossi this weekend and it was....ok.  

For context, most of my guns are black, and nearly all my handguns involve plastic.  I don't know much about lever guns, other than they are fun to shoot, feel solid, and all of a sudden I just want one.  I'm not a big revolver guy either...but I figured I wanted one, so I bought a Python.  

I want something like that - something I will probably never sell/trade, something with a buttery action, and a great shooter.  I also prefer a carbine style.  Blued.  

It will probably see more .38 than anything, so the strength isn't a huge issue.  I'm not going to be loading it up hot.

Unfortunately....these things are like vaporware.  I've got cash in hand and been all over town, all over the internet, and cannot dig one up.  

Is the 1984C a good example of a .357 levergun, or are there better options out there?  

I figure if I have to hunt one down, I'd at least like to look for the right one.  

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#1]
If you handled one and liked it, and you handled a Rossi and did not like it, what is there to decide?

I wouldn't trade my Rossi 92 for three Marlins, but I sure wouldn't try to change your mind.

If it feels right to you, it is right for you.

Good luck finding one.

ETA: Look for an older Marlin and you will have to decide if you want one with micro-groove rifling, so don't jump until you get more information from the Marlin crowd on here.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Sorry for the confusion, I think I want a 1894C merely because it seems like the only other option out there.  I've not handled one.  

Link Posted: 11/11/2012 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you checked out the Henry models? I passed on one earlier in the year trying to negotiate the seller down. Now I feel like an idiot for not grabbing it.  In 357 haven't been able to find much around here since I'm not a fan of the retail price that any Henry / Marlin / Rossi are fetching.

The new Marlins can be a bit rough, so you'll also have to decide on if you want to find an older JM marked 1894C or if you want to try your luck with the new ones. Good luck on the search though. A 357 in lever action is a dream to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I just picked up a JM 1894 44 mag a few weeks ago and love it .I'm a Marlin fan boy so take that for what it's worth.

I have been looking for the 44 for quite some time,trying to find one in like new condition and at a decent price.

The one thing to be aware of is the micro groove barrels don't like cast bullets unless they have a gas check and are over-sized so they don't lead the barrel.
I would think the 357 would be the same ,so something for you to take a look at if you reload.
I have about 1400 lead 44 bullets without a gas check that I cant use for the rifle but will use in my 44 pistol,so I'm reloading jacketed that I had to buy for the rifle.

But overall the 1894 is a small, light, fast handling rifle that just feels right to me.I bought a 1895GS 45/70 a few years back and then a 39a 22 and now the 1894 44 and now I'm looking for a 1894 357 and a 336 in 35 rem for my next levers.They are fun and addicting, just as bad as black rifles.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Marlin.

/thread.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Rossi 92, a Browning 92, and 2 Marlins in .357.

I have a Marlin 1894c, this is the best choice if you want to add a scope.  Mine has a Weaver V3 mounted, and I keep it for the women and kids to use.  I also have a Marlin 357 Cowboy, octagon barrel.  Just got this one and haven't played with it much yet.  

The Browning 92 is a gorgeous gun, but is not as accurate as my Marlin or Rossi.

My Rossi 92 is a stainless trapper.  This is my favorite 357 levergun.  It's been tuned by Steve Young and is slick as butter.  I even like the stock sights on it, and have no intention of changing them.  It's my most accurate iron sighted lever gun.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Marlin 1894c in .38/.357 and it's a gem. I wouldn't trade it for anything. It was hard to find but I plopped cash down as soon as I laid my mitts on it. I also had a Henry Big Boy in .44 magnum that was a gorgeous gun but had cycling issues and even went back to Henry for repair...never did cycle right with certain ammo so I sold it...I believe, rightly or wrongly, that a gun should shoot everything in it's caliber. I also have a Henry .22 Golden boy that has an action as smooth as silk and shoots like a gem also. I can't speak on Rossi, but I hate Winchesters and love Marlins.

roy d...but I may be in a minority on that
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#8]
1894c.  Love mine.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#9]

I really like my 16" ROSSI .357  1892

after doing the STEVEZDVD tune-up, it's amazingly smooth

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#10]
If you find a new marlin that you like then go for it most rossi's need a little work. that I like to make them function good! I love my rossi the new japchesters are not very refined so with Rossi and winchester and remlins or marlins you never know what you'll get. But the roosi are esy to fix if you can turn a wrench lol
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Have you looked at the Winchester (Miroku) 1892s?  I have the Trapper model in .357 with a 16" heavy barrel and love it...great fit / finish and very smooth action.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:33:45 AM EDT
[#12]
First thing to decide is if you want to scope it; if so go with a pre Remington Marlin, it's by far the easiest lever rifle to scope; if you want irons then the other options come in to play.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 8:01:39 AM EDT
[#13]
My list in order from best to worst:

Uberti 1873
Marlin
Rossi
Remlin
Henry
Chapparel 1873
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/IMG_0489.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/IMG_0490.jpg

Derek,
The wood on your rifle looks great.  What did you do to it?

Also, have you tried Remington 158 HP from Walmart?  I have one just like yours but have not shot it yet because the 100 rd bulk box ammo goes in at at wrong angle and jams the action up.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/IMG_0489.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/IMG_0490.jpg

Derek,
The wood on your rifle looks great.  What did you do to it?

Also, have you tried Remington 158 HP from Walmart?  I have one just like yours but have not shot it yet because the 100 rd bulk box ammo goes in at at wrong angle and jams the action up.

Nothing...that's how it looked when I bought it.

I handload all my 357 on a DILLON machine.

Mine cycles HP, SWC, and RNFP just fine.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:15:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Oh yeah, and IF you can ever find the mythical 1894c...pick up a Ruger GP100 in .357/.38 also. It's like they were meant to be together and they share the same ammo.

It's also nice to have a few in the stable that the anti-gun crowd and the gubment doesn't feel totally threatened by your possesion of, and most likely won't have a fit over. Although I like scaring little girls and liberals (redundant, I know) with my possession of evil black guns! I might buy one of those hideous Mossberg 464 tactical lever-actions just to cause them seizures.

roy d...but the GP100 is vaporware also
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top