Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2015 6:18:14 PM EDT
Don't know much of anything about them.

It will go on a 16" mid-length. 556

Money is an object, but I can spend a little on it.

Which one should I get ?

Help / advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Whats your price range?

What is your expectation on a cans performance? 5.56 will still be pretty loud compared to a 22 or pistol can.

Any other hosts?

Ill start with saying the Gemtek Trek off gunbroker for cost. Good can at 300ish in cost.
Shorter and lighter than some other 5.56 options.

Or SiCo Specwar for best sound suppression at a good price point. Can move it around on other hosts. Little heavy and long.

If you want to spend more, the SiCo Omega will be light, shorter, Qd for connecting to other guns including. 30 cal and high good sound suppression.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whats your price range?

What is your expectation on a cans performance? 5.56 will still be pretty loud compared to a 22 or pistol can.

Any other hosts?

Ill start with saying the Gemtek Trek off gunbroker for cost. Good can at 300ish in cost.
Shorter and lighter than some other 5.56 options.

Or SiCo Specwar for best sound suppression at a good price point. Can move it around on other hosts. Little heavy and long.

If you want to spend more, the SiCo Omega will be light, shorter, Qd for connecting to other guns including. 30 cal and high good sound suppression.
View Quote

I want it as quiet as I can get it.
I may can go $800ish.

I don't know anything about them.
I want it to function with with different factory loads 556/223.

I know I'll need a new flash suppressor, and maybe an adjustable gas block.

Other than that, I don't know anything.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Which one should I get ?

View Quote

I always suggest that the first suppressor purchase should be a .22. They are insanely quiet, cheap and fun to shot. Don't get me wrong 5.56 suppressors are fun but still require ear pro.

Do you know how the process works yet?

Easiest way is to

1)get a trust setup(cost around $100)(my dealer suggested a lawyer to get it setup)
2)find the suppressor you want
 A) if you find one in stock you will cut off about 3 months of transfer time by a form 3
 B) if you have to order one and get it transferred to your dealer they will file a form 3 to transfer it. It takes about 3 months and you will have to pay a transfer fee at your dealer.
3)fill out your form 4 with the help of your dealer (if you have a good dealer they will send in your form 4 and everything needed)
4)wait for a long time to get approved. Around 6 months currently.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Obviously whatever the cost of the suppressor is + $200 for the stamp.

My trust was $250. Which I think is reasonable for a good one.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Decide what is most important to you.

A quieter can may often be larger.
A smaller can will be usually be louder.
A lighter can will often be more expensive.
A QD can will cost more.
etc.

For example, I prefer a smaller/lighter can over a slightly quieter can that is much larger.  I want QD, so that I will pay more for that.

Figure out what is most important to you, and get the very best you can afford that does what you want.  Remember your pretty much going to be stuck with what ever you get, so get the right can the first time.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you know that even with a suppressor on a 5.56 AR that you will still have to wear hearing protection?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Which one should I get ?

View Quote

Go and get a Specwar 7.62. Its worth its weight in gold. Plus you can run 7.62 in the future if you feel like it. I love mine on my stag arms 5.56 and savage model 10 bore barrel 308win. Its has a few extra ounces than the rest of them but it puts out in suppression every time.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, I would see if there is a suppressor dealer in your area that will demo some with you. That way you can put your hands on them and see if you want direct thread, qd, long, short, etc.

It is a big difference hearing them on youtube or reading about specs, and then hearing them in person and handling them attached to the end of an AR15.

Also check and see what the dealers around you have for fees for form 3 transfers. Since you are in TX hopefully you are near Capital Armory or SilencerShop as they can certainly get you squared away.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Which one should I get ?

View Quote

Im not sure a Specwar would be practical on a 16" barrel. That will be an extremely long stick
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:52:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Go to capitol armory. They let you use the easy pay method, you pay four payments while waiting on your can.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#11]
It was like three years ago that I was in the OPs shoes. I knew nothing about silencers. So I went to Silencer Shop and just bought a handful of silencers, without knowing what was what.

They have better prices than GB.

I've come to realize that you shouldn't get too caught up on which silencer has better sound reduction. The difference in sound reduction is too minor to make a difference. They all work well.

Now knowing what I know, I would say that it's best to go with the lowest cost suppressor. They're practically all the same, noise reduction-wise.

Also, I like the minimalist look on a silencer. My favorite looking suppressor is the Octane 45 (I forget who makes it), as it looks simple and black. However, the Octane is a pain, and I would never buy it again. The Octane has plastic O-rings that melt away. Also the Octane has a little area, on its rear end cap, at the end that unscrews. So not only do you have to watch the booster and make sure it doesn't unscrew after every magazine, but you also have to make sure the body of the suppressor doesn't unscrew.

Compared to the Mystic, which doesn't have an O-Ring, and doesn't unscrew, as the body fits right. However, the Mystic,  in my highly subjective opinion, is ugly in its design.

A really cool 223 suppressor is a Yankee Hill model, I forget which model. I have a pair of 223 silencers, and the Yankee Hill costs half of what the other one costs. I can't tell the difference, performance-wise. The Yankee Hill is high quality, inexpensive, looks good and does the job. Plus it's full auto rated, in case one day you have the need.

Good luck on your purchase. Shopping for suppressors is a lot of fun.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It was like three years ago that I was in the OPs shoes. I knew nothing about silencers. So I went to Silencer Shop and just bought a handful of silencers, without knowing what was what.

I've come to realize that you shouldn't get too caught up on which silencer has better sound reduction. The difference in sound reduction is too minor to make a difference. They all work well.

Now knowing what I know, I would say that it's best to go with the lowest cost suppressor. They're practically all the same, noise reduction-wise.

Also, I like the minimalist look on a silencer. My favorite looking suppressor is the Octane 45 (I forget who makes it), as it looks simple and black. However, the Octane is a pain, and I would never buy it again. The Octane has plastic O-rings that melt away. Also the Octane has a little area, on its rear end cap, at the end that unscrews. So not only do you have to watch the booster and make sure it doesn't unscrew after every magazine, but you also have to make sure the body of the suppressor doesn't unscrew.

Compared to the Mystic, which doesn't have an O-Ring, and doesn't unscrew, as the body fits right. However, the Mystic,  in my highly subjective opinion, is ugly in its design.

A really cool 223 suppressor is a Yankee Hill model, I forget which model. I have a pair of 223 silencers, and the Yankee Hill costs half of what the other one costs. I can't tell the difference, performance-wise. The Yankee Hill is high quality, inexpensive, looks good and does the job. Plus it's full auto rated, in case one day you have the need.

View Quote

I love your machine gun collection - but I think you're mixing a few things up with regard to the suppressors:

The Octane does not have plastic O-rings. The Octane does have a rubber O-ring on the endcap that the piston body goes through.

The encapsulator of the Octane is Loctited into the suppressor body - it should not come out.

Not sure which part is unscrewing on your Octane but I've never had that experience.

The Mystic does use a rubber O-ring. (both the discontinued Mystic and the Mystic X)

Soundwise, I'll agree that most centerfire rifle suppressors sound "the same" (well at least with hearing protection on). That's why most guys can get decent sounding suppressors from Form 1 FP builds. But you're paying for light weight, a QD mounting system, baffle durability, support, etc. in addition to performance.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Yes, you're right about the rings. I meant rubber, not plastic.

And correct, I'm not an expert on suppressors.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Specwar K. Very affordable & great performance for its size.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#15]
My vote is to get a Liberty Mystic
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Decide what is most important to you.

A quieter can may often be larger.
A smaller can will be usually be louder.
A lighter can will often be more expensive.
A QD can will cost more.
etc.

For example, I prefer a smaller/lighter can over a slightly quieter can that is much larger.  I want QD, so that I will pay more for that.

Figure out what is most important to you, and get the very best you can afford that does what you want.  Remember your pretty much going to be stuck with what ever you get, so get the right can the first time.
View Quote

+1

The more money you spend the better features you will get, just like a car, house or most other material items.

For $300-400 you can prob find a Trek, maybe a little cheaper if you hold out for a good deal or buy a used one.

I personally just bought one of these...
https://www.deltapdesign.com/brevisr-ii-ultra-5-56-nato-rifle-suppressor.html

It cost twice as much as the first AR15 i bought, but as far as i know its the lightest and shortest 5.56 suppressors on the market.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#18]

You can easily get lost in suppressors tests. Charts will show Model X is 5 db quieter than Model XX etc.

But honestly, I can't hear a difference.

I have a KAC NT-4, an OPS INC 12th Model (5.56) and a KAC M110 (.30 cal)

The NT-4 and the 12th Model sound pretty much the same. A slighter difference in tone, but they sound alike. The NT4 is a QD mount at the muzzle. The 12th Model is a recessed suppressor and has more volume.

My M110 (shooting .300 Win Mag) sounds about the same as my NT4 and 12th Model.

For the money and quality, here is a great deal on a Surefire SOCOM-RC 5.56 can for $800 with free shipping. Available in Black and Tan

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_118/1447947_SureFire_SOCOM_RC_Fast_Attach_223_556_Rifle_Sound_Suppressor____799_95_w__FREE_shipping.html

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Get a trust from a lawyer.  I can help with that as I do a lot of them for Texas Residents.

Are you only going to use it on that one rifle?

If so, then a direct thread can is the way to go.

If multiple rifles, then a Quick attach can is a better option

What caliber will the can be used on?

556 only or is a 30 caliber cartridge in the future?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Silencerco Octane rear section should not unscrew. If it does call or email Silencerco and they fix it. I just sent mine in for the same issue.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:22:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Saker556. Good down to 7" barrels, unobtanium aka Hoplon(?) baffles 30% stronger, one handed on and off (no tabs or levers to press), quiet compared to other 556 suppressors, and the size is in between the smaller (mini) and larger 556 suppressors. Another good thing about the Saker is the flashider/muzzle brake which is a QD design (and one handed on/off).

Also, SilShop has a Direct Program that'll cost you $270. That includes the $200 stamp, your local dealer transfer fee, and SilShop will handle all the paperwork submitting and email you updates during the wait process. This is slightly over your budgeted $800 for a suppressor, but not by much, when you consider the $200 tax, which suddenly becomes a $1000 budget.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Silencerco Octane rear section should not unscrew. If it does call or email Silencerco and they fix it. I just sent mine in for the same issue.

View Quote
Thanks. I didn't know that it wasn't supposed to do that. I just thought it was a design issue. I'll call them up and get it serviced.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Surefire Socom cans are stupid cheap right now at $800 -
Get one.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:12:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Surefire Socom cans are stupid cheap right now COMPARED TO WHAT THE USUALLY SELL FOR at $800 -
Get one.
View Quote

That's an important caveat when we've seen $399 specwars and $599 SDN-6s in the past 4 months.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the reply's.

I've been looking at different ones and like one poster said, the ones I've look at spec's showed they were all close on the DB chart.

This would be used on an AR15 only SO 556/223 would be it.

Probably more then one so I think I'd need the quick detach system.

Never shot one or even heard one in person so I really don't know anything about them.

I'l going to look at the models that have been listed here and do more research on them.

There is a dealer hear but they are pretty pricey on their firearms so I think they may be extra pricy on the suppressors. I'll check to be sure though.

I didn't realize there were so many manufactures of these. Going to be difficult to narrow it down.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Never shot one or even heard one in person so I really don't know anything about them.

View Quote

Can I ask what your expectations are for the suppressor? What are you hoping that it will do for you? Do you expect it to take the edge off or are you expecting to be able to ditch the earplugs altogether?

If you've never heard a suppressed AR, I just want to make sure your expectations are aligned with reality.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's an important caveat when we've seen $399 specwars and $599 SDN-6s in the past 4 months.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Surefire Socom cans are stupid cheap right now COMPARED TO WHAT THE USUALLY SELL FOR at $800 -
Get one.

I'd still take a socom over those two
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top