Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/30/2005 2:25:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/30/2005 2:25:32 AM EDT by 82ndAbn]
Cant have a real one (don't have that kind of money). I know that ORF makes them and I know of a bobcat one and a Vulcan?? If anyone knows about these tell me about them. Also if you own one do you like it. Are they jamomatics? Any info will be great. Also how much do they cost (Im seeing they running $1200 - $1500). And how much do extra 30 round mags cost as well. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:29:14 PM EDT
the only MP5 I've handled was Mojo's MP5SD. I about near had to clean my pants out after firing a couple magazines through it. It's just SO freaking sweet.

It's definitely near the top, if not at the top, of firearms I would buy if I had the means.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:31:42 PM EDT
I have no chance of affording a genuine NFA MP5. My best bet would be a slick clone. I can't even afford that though
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:33:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:11:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/28/2005 6:17:59 PM EDT by Boom_Stick]

Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:

Originally Posted By Boom_Stick:
I always liked the look of 'em and wanted one till I handled it at a gunshow. Compared to a 9mm AR that H&K was heavy! A 9mm carbine/rifle shouldn’t be that heavy. Plus the AR readily accepts accessories where the MP5 (or it's clones) will not.

The MP5 is romanticized by many, but it's just not practical beyond it's intended sub-gun configuration.

And exactly what accessories do my 9mm ARs accept that my MP5 wont?

I admit the weight of an MP5 is advantageous for full-auto but it's waisted if your limited to semi. I'm not hate'in on the HK design...I'm just say'in for those reasons I woulden't own one and recomend to others that they dont buy it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:13:41 PM EDT

I always liked the look of 'em and wanted one till I handled it at a gunshow. Compared to a 9mm AR that H&K was heavy! A 9mm carbine/rifle shouldn’t be that heavy. Plus the AR readily accepts accessories, the MP5 (or it's clones) will not.

The MP5 is romanticized by many, but it's just not practical beyond it's intended sub-gun configuration.

Then get one from vectorarms.com and get it in .223
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:20:08 PM EDT
The 9mm AR kicks harder than a .223 I swear. The H&K recoils so much less = better gun. I really like my 9 ar don't get me wrong but the HK is just alot smoother.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:28:23 PM EDT

I always liked the look of 'em and wanted one till I handled it at a gunshow. Compared to a 9mm AR that H&K was heavy! A 9mm carbine/rifle shouldn’t be that heavy. Plus the AR readily accepts accessories where the MP5 (or it's clones) will not.

I admit the weight of an MP5 is advantageous for full-auto but it's waisted if your limited to semi. I'm not hate'in on the HK design...I'm just say'in for those reasons I woulden't own one and recomend to others that they dont buy it.

What accessories does my 9mm AR "readily accept" that my MP5 does not?

As for weight, the 9mm AR is HEAVIER than the MP5. Even an UZI is heavier than a MP5.

The HK is a LOT more modular than the 9mm AR15. Stock configs can be changed with one pushpin. RAS handguards can be installed with one pushpin.

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:32:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/28/2005 6:40:35 PM EDT by Boom_Stick]

As for weight, the 9mm AR is HEAVIER than the MP5. Even an UZI is heavier than a MP5.

The HK is a LOT more modular than the 9mm AR15. Stock configs can be changed with one pushpin. RAS handguards can be installed with one pushpin.

I humbly disagree with you [subliminal] (HK MP5 sucks!!!!) [/subliminal] and hope that you will [subliminal] sell me a NIB AR6450 below market value. [/subliminal]

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:58:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/28/2005 7:00:58 PM EDT by WildBoar]

Shooting them is quite different that hefting one at a show.

The 9mm AR in FA was fun to shoot. I did like it quite a .bit

Then I shot and MP5D with a full stock, world of difference.

Then I shot an MP5K, I fell in love. Nicest handling submachinegun ever made.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:00:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/28/2005 7:00:36 PM EDT by jkstexas2001]
MP5's are bad guns. I will be more than happy to dispose of them for you, and heck, I'll even pay the shipping charges.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:20:21 PM EDT

I humbly disagree with you [subliminal] (HK MP5 sucks!!!!) [/subliminal] and hope that you will [subliminal] sell me a NIB AR6450 below market value. [/subliminal]

Your mind games won't work on me boy...

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:33:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kevinR:
Cant have a real one (don't have that kind of money). I know that ORF makes them and I know of a bobcat one and a Vulcan?? If anyone knows about these tell me about them. Also if you own one do you like it. Are they jamomatics? Any info will be great. Also how much do they cost (Im seeing they running $1200 - $1500). And how much do extra 30 round mags cost as well. Thanks guys.

The real HK-MP5's are the only ones I can speak to, and they are among my top three favorite guns. The one I have experience with had a collapsible stock and suppressor. Never jammed once. Solid as a rock. Atlantic Firearms sells a good clone, from what I hear. Stay away from Vulcan.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:33:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/28/2005 4:36:36 PM EDT by SirDrinksAlot]
if you go with ORF you'll be waiting alittle while.

some people like their bobcat MP5s, some have problems with it, and others just plum don't like the company.

The general talk of the town is to stay away from anything Vulcan or Hesse made.

edit: I'll be honest the only MP5 I've gotten to handle and fire a few hundred rounds through was a real deal H&K MP5, I didn't have any problems with it and out of the many thousands of rounds that was fired through it that day, they had only 1 or 3 problems.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:45:42 PM EDT
Bobcat = Speshul Weppins = Toad Bailey = sketchy.

I'm sure SteyrAUG will be along shortly to sort this issue out for you.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:27:25 PM EDT
Ohio Rapid Fire makes a good clone, from what I've heard.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:36:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/28/2005 6:15:43 PM EDT by Boom_Stick]

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:51:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/28/2005 5:52:36 PM EDT by jkstexas2001]
I did not think that they were too heavy. I've seen folks add all kinds of gadgets to them (flashlight, laser, Aimpoint all at the same time) that made them ugly and heavy, but a standard configuration never felt heavy to me.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:47:58 PM EDT

I always liked the look of 'em and wanted one till I handled it at a gunshow. Compared to a 9mm AR that H&K was heavy! A 9mm carbine/rifle shouldn’t be that heavy. Plus the AR readily accepts accessories, the MP5 (or it's clones) will not.

Bah, your just jealous.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:58:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jkstexas2001:
I did not think that they were too heavy. I've seen folks add all kinds of gadgets to them (flashlight, laser, Aimpoint all at the same time) that made them ugly and heavy, but a standard configuration never felt heavy to me.

Its not, mine is rock solid and feels just right. Mine has no extras, like I like most of my guns, and its a dream to shoot.

As far as mags: Tapco sometimes (end of last year) had deals for 10 strait 30 rnd mags for 115.00 or even 99.00 sometimes. I believe those deals are all done now though. You can probably still fine a few for only a little more. I haven't checked recently on the prices.

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:00:35 PM EDT
Very easy to keep on target, too, for a subgun.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:01:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/28/2005 6:02:59 PM EDT by rara1141]
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:02:41 PM EDT

Ohio Rapid Fire makes a good clone, from what I've heard.

Currently they are using Bobcat / Special Weapons parts so while reportedly a better build a chef is only as good as his ingredients. Reportedly ORF is developing a HK94 receiver but I haven't seen one yet to offer an opinion. When they do, a ORF receiver coupled with a POF parts kits (also currently not available and possibly might not happen at all with the new ATF regulation) would be the way to go unless you can get ahold of a REAL post sample MP5 to cut for parts.

I can't say I'd recommend either Bobcat or Vulcan and have done a few posts detailing several flaws in the former and the latter is generally worse.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:02:43 PM EDT

The weight and the design of the delayed locked roller bolt is great!!! almost no recoil and WAAAAAYYY more easier to shoot than a 9mm AR in FA and semi.

I love the AR platform...have plenty of AR's... but the HK design is far superior for fire control than the Colt.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:03:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/28/2005 6:04:46 PM EDT by SteyrAUG]

All of my 9mm ARs are heavier than all of my MP5s.

Hell my UZIs are heavier than my MP5s.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:38:55 AM EDT

MP5 - 5.59 lbs.
Colt9mm SMG - 5.75 lbs.

And there is every accessory available for the MP5 that is available for the M16/Colt SMG...even a folding stock. Forearm rails, optics rails, white lights, lasers, suppressors, everything.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:58:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kc3:

MP5 - 5.59 lbs.
Colt9mm SMG - 5.75 lbs.

And there is every accessory available for the MP5 that is available for the M16/Colt SMG...even a folding stock. Forearm rails, optics rails, white lights, lasers, suppressors, everything.

but not at the same price or quantity.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:22:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Cape_hunter:

MP5 - 5.59 lbs.
Colt9mm SMG - 5.75 lbs.

There are products available for the MP5 all the way from Uber-crap to Gucci gear. Tapco sells the uber-crap and DSA sell the B&T gucci-gear (there are other manuf. as well, such as Knights).

As for the MP5, it is one of the few guns H&K ever got right (even though it was an after thought) and is far easier to shoot than the 9mm M16. But then again, it is a pistol caliber subgun and there is the whole CQB rifle vs. SMG argument...

I would not tell anyone not to buy an MP5.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:50:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/30/2005 3:54:17 PM EDT by Cape_hunter]

Originally Posted By ian187:

MP5 - 5.59 lbs.
Colt9mm SMG - 5.75 lbs.

There are products available for the MP5 all the way from Uber-crap to Gucci gear. Tapco sells the uber-crap and DSA sell the B&T gucci-gear (there are other manuf. as well, such as Knights).

As for the MP5, it is one of the few guns H&K ever got right (even though it was an after thought) and is far easier to shoot than the 9mm M16. But then again, it is a pistol caliber subgun and there is the whole CQB rifle vs. SMG argument...

Nor will I but what I said is true.
Go to any show, open any shottynews, open any ubertactical gun rag and parts and such for the AR platform out number the HK platform with ease. How many companies are building HK94/mP5 clones? How many are build AR clones and parts? Sure knights makes a great forarm for the MP5. THow many different forearms/flaot tubes/four rail FF etc are made for hte AR? I am not knocking the gun, I love them! But when it comes to add-ons, the AR is the small block chevy of the EBR gun world. The HK is more the Mopar. Hemi=hk21
CH
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:20:10 PM EDT

MP5 - 5.59 lbs.
Colt9mm SMG - 5.75 lbs.

Nor will I but what I said is true.
Go to any show, open any shottynews, open any ubertactical gun rag and parts and such for the AR platform out number the HK platform with ease. How many companies are building HK94/mP5 clones? How many are build AR clones and parts? Sure knights makes a great forarm for the MP5. THow many different forearms/flaot tubes/four rail FF etc are made for hte AR? I am not knocking the gun, I love them! But when it comes to add-ons, the AR is the small block chevy of the EBR gun world. The HK is more the Mopar. Hemi=hk21
CH

You are right, there are more AR parts for sale, without a doubt. BUT! there are plenty of MP5 spare parts to keep your firearm running forever. True, they are not cheaper than an M16 but the MP5 is NOT an M16. I have a FA M16 and do not really enjoy shooting it because it recoils more than a regular M16. Plain and simple, the MP5 is a better subgun.

As for the Knights and B&T forearm, it is a railed forearm. The MP5 comes with a freefloated forearm to begin with so it doesn't need too many different options, the MP5 is a subgun so there isn't much need for the complex accessories of the M16.

Only you can decide whether if it is worth the money.

By the way, The comment about not making recommendations was not directed at you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:01:14 PM EDT

MP5 - 5.59 lbs.
Colt9mm SMG - 5.75 lbs.

Maybe he was handling a MP5A3. 6.47 lbs. IIRC
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:27:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2005 10:29:00 AM EDT by Gimme_A_Carbine]

I'm still trying to figure out what role a person might expect a subgun to fill, other than that of a subgun of course.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:50:51 AM EDT
Im not sure where all this talk about recoil is coming from? I've shot both MP5's and Colt SMG's and neither has any recoil to speak of. If you cant control a 9mm sub-gun...you need to start eating some more wheaties.

Now, when you start talking about HK21's and HK51's.....No one will give you a hard time for mentioning recoil.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:55:25 AM EDT

not my pic so don't complain to me about it being sideways.

Thats my favorite MP5 in the world, it's the first FA gun I ever got to shoot. I want one too, but way to muchmoney for me, damn 922(o)
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:54:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By davidp14:
Im not sure where all this talk about recoil is coming from? I've shot both MP5's and Colt SMG's and neither has any recoil to speak of. If you cant control a 9mm sub-gun...you need to start eating some more wheaties.

Now, when you start talking about HK21's and HK51's.....No one will give you a hard time for mentioning recoil.

I agree both the .223 and 9mm in a subgun are light on the recoil, But a HK51 dosent recoil hardly at all either. The barrel length is not long enough for the powder to burn up inside so a large amount is wasted on muzzle flash.

Still one of my favorite FAs to shoot!
CH
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:40:23 PM EDT
First my only experience with a real MP5 was a full auto H&K, but I wanted a clone real bad.
I know the BW is using SW parts and SW receiver, and I heard stuff about Todd and their quality.
I found a used Special weapons SP-10 on the equipement exchange and bought it cheap.
LOVE IT, it shoots semi as well as the H&Ks I played with. Now I would buy another SW or BW in a hartbeat. When Todd at ORF gets his receivers done, I might build one.
Any of the clones but Vulcan are allright in my book.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:31:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 7:33:17 AM EDT by jbntex]
I have heard decent reviews of Bobcat's MP5 semi clones. Personally I would save up some extra cash and buy a real HK-94. There are some out there for decent prices considering the headache and money you might spend in attempting to get a clone to work.

HK-94's for under 3K.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/semi4sale.cgi?read=115864

However, if your cash is really tight I would probably consider purchasing a kit from top-notch and have a good smith build it up for you. Jayson at Investment Grade Firearms is a good place to start.

MP5 are great shooters. It doesn't seem to me that my MP5 is any heavier than any other subguns I own. However, I use them for recreational shooting not pretending I am guarding a downed blackhawk so I really dont have any need to hang a laser or mag light off the end. Plus the standard HK ghost ring aperature has always served me just fine and doesn't ever have dead batteries.

As for the 51 not having much recoil. I have a Volmer 51 and it tenderizes the skin on my shoulder plenty. Leaves a blood-blister pattern on my skin erriely similar to the texture of the A3 stockpad. However, the recoil does not compare to the muzzle blast.

Size comparison between the 51 and MP5

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:43:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 7:45:42 AM EDT by Cape_hunter]

Originally Posted By jbntex:
I have heard decent reviews of Bobcat's MP5 semi clones. Personally I would save up some extra cash and buy a real HK-94. There are some out there for decent prices considering the headache and money you might spend in attempting to get a clone to work.

HK-94's for under 3K.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/semi4sale.cgi?read=115864

However, if your cash is really tight I would probably consider purchasing a kit from top-notch and have a good smith build it up for you. Jayson at Investment Grade Firearms is a good place to start.

MP5 are great shooters. It doesn't seem to me that my MP5 is any heavier than any other subguns I own. However, I use them for recreational shooting not pretending I am guarding a downed blackhawk so I really dont have any need to hang a laser or mag light off the end. Plus the standard HK ghost ring aperature has always served me just fine and doesn't ever have dead batteries.

As for the 51 not having much recoil. I have a Volmer 51 and it tenderizes the skin on my shoulder plenty. Leaves a blood-blister pattern on my skin erriely similar to the texture of the A3 stockpad. However, the recoil does not compare to the muzzle blast.

usera.imagecave.com/jbntex/MP5_HK51_small.jpg

Strange. The last HK51 I fired was at one of our local shoots. Belongs to a member here. It is a FA gun also and running full tilt, with a 40 round mag the recoil is less then the FA m16 with 762.39 upper on it. It has an A3 stock and didnt so much as leave a red spot on my shoulder. You shooting with a wife beater on?

The muzzle blast is very impressive, your right!

Still my favorite FA to date!
CH
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:02:55 AM EDT

You have the meat tenderizer on... I put the full stock on my 51 and it helps a little more. Still a killer on recoil.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:12:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 7:

You have the meat tenderizer on... I put the full stock on my 51 and it helps a little more. Still a killer on recoil.

You guys are confusing the hell out of me as I dont remember it recoil that bad at all..

Maybe it was and it has cause memory loss
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:31:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:54:19 AM EDT
If you're gonna go sub, go 45

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:25:26 AM EDT
TheBomber = Show Off
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:16:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thebomber:

www.darlynn.com/albums/UMP-Pictures/ump_usc_10.sized.jpg

Bomber

You find me a source for .45 that is $100 or less for 1K rounds factory new and I'll buy one of those.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:34:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Longboat:
TheBomber = Show Off

you gotta point there
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:35:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thebomber:

www.darlynn.com/albums/UMP-Pictures/ump_usc_10.sized.jpg

Bomber

You find me a source for .45 that is $100 or less for 1K rounds factory new and I'll buy one of those.

you gotta point there

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:41:26 PM EDT
Tag for home.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:44:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By flannagan_bryan:
First my only experience with a real MP5 was a full auto H&K, but I wanted a clone real bad.
I know the BW is using SW parts and SW receiver, and I heard stuff about Todd and their quality.
I found a used Special weapons SP-10 on the equipement exchange and bought it cheap.
LOVE IT, it shoots semi as well as the H&Ks I played with. Now I would buy another SW or BW in a hartbeat. When Todd at ORF gets his receivers done, I might build one.
Any of the clones but Vulcan are allright in my book.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:41:18 PM EDT

These are cheap:

cgi.ebay.com/Classic-Army-M249-MKII-SAW-Machine-Gun_W0QQitemZ7172340605QQcategoryZ64635QQtcZphoto­QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

LOL - $1G for a BB gun
Wonder what my Daisy Red Rider's worth?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:27:33 PM EDT
Are the HK51's....7.62 NATO? Or 5.56 NATO?

Looking at the mag, it could be 7.62.

Can someone clarify for someone not familiar?

Thank you
Rob
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:41:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SKSGuy:
Are the HK51's....7.62 NATO? Or 5.56 NATO?

Looking at the mag, it could be 7.62.

Can someone clarify for someone not familiar?

Thank you
Rob

51= 7.62mm
53= 5.56mm
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top