Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/23/2005 10:04:12 PM EDT
When I ordered my Greek Return Service Grade M1 rifle from the CMP back in May I realized that I most likely would not get a low serial numbered rifle that may have actually been used in the ETO or PTO. So I said to myself, after a bit of research, that of all the manufacturerers only winchester made rifles for WWII. I logically concluded that since compleate winchseter rifles were not available i would by a Winchester receiver and over the months, weeks, or years it may take. build a compleate winchester Garand. I now believe that I must have had a brain anyerism at the moment that I tacked the order of a winchester receiver to my CMP order. I have since aquired a complete bolt, an have found a source for the type II lockbar sights. And an Operating Rod. But Alas the task has begun to fail due to the lack of money needed to complete such a noble endevour. To bring a Winchester M1 Garand rifle back to life. A task that would require me to reach into my deepest coffers and front the money to complete the rifle as a 100% winchester, or restore it with the more common, less expesive, easier to replace Spriengfieild.parts. I truly seek the wisdom on this forum to help me come to the right conclusion.
#1 sinply quit now before I get too invested that I couldn't back out.
#2try to beg CMP to take the receiver back, pleading insanity.
#3Or put it on the EE and pray God's will be done.
#4 Suck it up and try to complete the task now stood before me.
# 5 Or just finish the damn thing no matter the cost.

Oh great Hive Mind I emplore you to take pity on this foolish mortal and show me direction that I must follow . As always I will keep you informed and offer my first target as a sacrifice to all of wistom that permeates these hallowed halls of knowledge and truth. Thank you for bowing down to hear my cry.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:54:28 AM EDT
#4 and 5

Don't be a quiter.

Max
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:21:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By vinnie935:
When I ordered my Greek Return Service Grade M1 rifle from the CMP back in May I realized that I most likely would not get a low serial numbered rifle that may have actually been used in the ETO or PTO. So I said to myself, after a bit of research, that of all the manufacturerers only winchester made rifles for WWII. I

Springfield turned out more rifles than Winchester during WWII. Any Springfield under 2.8-2.9 million or so would have been made during WWII. Winchesters were only made during WWII (or very shortly thereafter to complete the contract).

I say finish it and stop worrying. An original vintage Garand is cool from any time period. I personally would just like to get one of each manufacturer. Have a couple Springfields and an International Harvester. Need a WIN and an HRA.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:25:51 AM EDT
Prioritize-

1- Get an M1
2- Get a ww2 era M1
3- go Winchester
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:47:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:11:57 AM EDT
If I were to build this receiver into a shooter using mostly Springfield parts how would that affect the overall value of the rifle? At this point my intentions are to have it rebarreled with a commercially manufactured barrel and build the rest with Springfield parts. I also am consibering looking into Deans Guns for reparking. I guess that I failed to research this project and didn't realize that Winchester parts were going to cost three to five times Springfield.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:51:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By vinnie935:
If I were to build this receiver into a shooter using mostly Springfield parts how would that affect the overall value of the rifle? At this point my intentions are to have it rebarreled with a commercially manufactured barrel and build the rest with Springfield parts. I also am consibering looking into Deans Guns for reparking. I guess that I failed to research this project and didn't realize that Winchester parts were going to cost three to five times Springfield.

The vast majorty of Garands out there are mixmasters (ie- parts from any and all manufacturers). I wouldn't worry about devaluing it by using mixed parts to complete the build. Some would argue that a comercial barrel would hurt value (along with reparking), but it would probably be a hell of a shooter.

The question you have to ask yourself is "Is this Garand going to be a collector or a shooter?" To get both will cost $$$ and time to find the parts.

My unsolicited opinion: complete the build with whatever USGI parts you can find and enjoy the hell out of it ASAP!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:31:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 11:44:08 AM EDT by Karsten]
Myself, I would order a Boyd's Un Finished stock collect all the parts I could get my hands on cheap and send it to Warbird for a .308 barreled rebuild.

users3.ev1.net/~hd80/Warbird.HTM

Then if you just have to have one in 30-06 go back through the CMP for another one.

Building a Collector Grade Rifle could take years, the cost to get not only the correct manufactured parts, but you would need the correct numbered parts per the year of the receiver.

If you need parts I have a bunch from a build I had planned a few years back that I just can't justify these days.......I have too many rifles that still haven't been shot these days.

I have op rod, front site, gas cylinder. plug, recoil spring, hardware for the stock (missing butt plate) and you could probably get the rest from the CMP.

Karsten
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:31:30 PM EDT
From what I've acquired among my readings, many Garands were rebuilt at one time or another. I have a springfield that was made in 45 but was rebarreled in 65. An original all matching parts is like buying a ferrari. So to speak. A rare ferrari. One you would not want to drive, much less ruffle the leather on the seats. You may poke it with your pen or something. I find these things useless. I say build the thing with whatever and shoot the piss out of it. It will bring more smiles to your face. And m2 ball is not that expensive. And it'll still look, feel and shoot like any GI Garand that stormed the beaches of normandy, or island hopped in the pacific. There's just nothing like the "ping". You wont regret it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:08:16 PM EDT
Thanks a lot for all of the replies. You've all convincd me, I'm gonna rebuild it and enjoy it. Karsten, E-mail me, I'm looking for an op rod.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:35:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2005 6:01:04 AM EDT by racecar]
#4 and #5 look the same to me.

Building it up with good quality USGI parts is an honorable way to get it shooting. That way it would be in a condition that a US serviceman might have received it. While you are shooting the first barrel out pick up Winny parts as you see and can afford them.
(The barrel may kill you) Going 7.62x51 with it is probably not the best use of a rare receiver like the Winchester.

“Worth” from a collector’s perspective and “Value” to you might be two different things. I don’t have a problem paying a little more to put quality parts into a rifle build that I am going to shoot. Like scraping up USGI parts for an M14 type build, using Rock River parts ala Carte to get the rifle just right or picking and choosing good HK licensed parts for a G3.

Decisions based on quality parts vs. crap are easy to make.

If you are trying to “force match” a Winchester Garand from the receiver up because you have dreamed of one since you were a kid then go to town. You have chosen a labor of love that only you can appreciate. Kind of like being a Cubs fan. If your goal was to have a rifle that saw action in the second world war all you need to do is find all the original pieces of that Garand an get them back together for a family reunion. No big deal. Otherwise what you will have is a bunch of overpriced, possibly interchangeable parts in varying stages of wear and finish.

A Winchester Garand that you build up from collected parts will always be worth less in the marketplace than the sum of its parts.

Force matching is attractive when all you need is an op rod or a trigger hsg. But if you are considering resale value as a condition of purchase I can assure you that no Garand collector is going to mistake any rifle without provenance for being “original” unless it is one of a small known group. To get any value out of it down the road you will have to do one of two things; Part it out to someone who is either close to matching or as foolish as you once were or lie to some even more unfortunate sucker.

“Man's reach should exceed his grasp.” Homer Simpson.

JR
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:18:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:44:17 AM EDT
IMHO if you end up with over 1K in it, it's too much in a built up parts rifle unless it's what YOU REALLY WANT. It will never have any great collectible value to anybody but you. BUT, you will own it and be able to shoot it. You will have a rifle you will enjoy. Do what you want but don't think you'll be able to sell it and recover your $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Top Top