Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2002 10:02:35 PM EDT
For the longest time, I thought I had at 175-200yds here...but today I actually measured it.

Link Posted: 4/28/2002 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a laser rangefinder but,  i tend to think most people over estimate closer ranges and under estimate longer ranges but that just what if found.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I know now not to take my accuracy for granted.  107yds is a long ways if you're shooting tide bottles. So whoever says they can hit them with iron sights at 150-200yds is just lucky or inaccurately 'eyeing' their distances....as I did.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:11:04 AM EDT
[#3]
A tide bottle is considerably bigger than the 6" dia. X ring on the MR-1 target (600 yd highpower) and I've seen guys hit it at 600, in windy conditions, with iron sights, better than half the time and the other half would have hit the aforementioned tide bottle. Now these guys are damn good shots, if I hit the x 1 out of 4 shots I'm havin' a helluva day :) but hitting a 6" target at 200 is routine if you have a decent rifle, good sights and a good position.

Regards,
    Bo
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:34:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm confused here. Why is it we must re-evaluate our target distances?

We use a Leica range-finder and double check it w/ a Sokkia Total Station and triple prism, (accurate to 0.002 of a foot).

Believe your topic header should read, I need to get a Rangefinder, or I need to learn how to pace off a 100 yards.

My 2cents,
Mike
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:59:51 AM EDT
[#5]
You really couldn't hit that?
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:16:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm confused here. Why is it we must re-evaluate our target distances?

We use a Leica range-finder and double check it w/ a Sokkia Total Station and triple prism, (accurate to 0.002 of a foot).

Believe your topic header should read, I need to get a Rangefinder, or I need to learn how to pace off a 100 yards.

My 2cents,
Mike

I'll second this - I shoot on measured ranges so I KNOW the distance to my targets when practicing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I also shoot archery so I am REAL good at judging distance....at least under 100 yards...

Just do not tell that to the Cop who charged me with following to close!!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:03:19 AM EDT
[#9]
SKSguy, 107 yards is not a stretch.   Roughly 35 shooters engaged 12 inch round steel plates between 135 and 170 yards during the Practical Rifle match, Tri County Gun Club, Oregon.  About half the shooters had iron sights only.  I certainly was not the fastest by any means but I have no problem hitting 12 inch steel at 170 yards with open sights and a bone stock M-15.  

As posted earlier, stop by a 600 yard range sometime when the distance guys are shooting rings at 600 yards standing.  That’s beyond my ability, but its done every weekend at ranges everywhere.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:08:51 AM EDT
[#10]
SKS, the cheapest most accurate way to range for you in that environment is a GPS - about $100.00. Generally speaking - far more accurate than most commercial laser range finders.

It is a thought. Good luck.

ps - don't sweat everyone else, ranging is an acquired skill. In order to acquire it, you must witness what 100 - 1000 yards actually looks like - many times.

Mil Dots are great too if you know the size of you object.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
SKS, the cheapest most accurate way to range for you in that environment is a GPS - about $100.00. Generally speaking - far more accurate than most commercial laser range finders.

How is it that using GPS, with a range of error of up to 21 feet (so up to 14 yards, +/-) is more accurate than using my Bushnell YardagePro Sport, which is accurate to 1 yard?  When my Garmin E-trex locks on,  the screen usually says "Ready to Navigate, accuracy 21 feet".  The best I've ever seen is about 10 feet, which you have to double since you're talking about locking in two targets - the target and your shooting location.  +/- 10 feet on one plus +/- 10 feet on the other.  

Get a Yardage Pro.  You can buy them new for less than $150.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

How is it that using GPS, with a range of error of up to 21 feet (so up to 14 yards, +/-) is more accurate than using my Bushnell YardagePro Sport, which is accurate to 1 yard?  When my Garmin E-trex locks on,  the screen usually says "Ready to Navigate, accuracy 21 feet".  The best I've ever seen is about 10 feet, which you have to double since you're talking about locking in two targets - the target and your shooting location.  +/- 10 feet on one plus +/- 10 feet on the other.  

Get a Yardage Pro.  You can buy them new for less than $150.

A) locking in targets? I just reset the trip and walk - no lock in. A variance of 3 - 5 yards is not an issue. I usually get a +/- of 14 ft.

B). A commercial range finder (to my understanding) has a variance that grows as it ranges to near its capacity. That variance (as I am told is around 5%). At 750 yrds that is 112 ft.(800 yrd finder)

C) A $150 range finder is what a 400 yrd? I am not sure.

ps - For those of us that record such things as temp, wind speed, elevation, and distance when shooting (long range) a GPS can knock out at least two of these. Secondly, I have yet to a confrontation between my Mil Dots and my GPS - works well enough and its cheap.

To each their own.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Poop on you

Link Posted: 4/29/2002 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#14]
In my most humble opinion, the terrain makes alot of difference in judging distance.
In open country it is easy to underestimate the distance to a target since you have few things to relate to in between you and you target.
How do I know this? I used to hunt prairie dogs alot in open country and never was real good at judging distance compared to shooting game or targets around my home area( more trees, etc.).
Lay out a 50 or 100ft tape and practice pacing off yards until your stride is about one yard.
Works for me within a yard most of the time.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top