Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2009 9:10:09 PM EDT
I think I may have loaded up some 9mm with small rifle primers. The load was:

147gr FMJ
3.9 W231
CCI Magnum pistol primer

The rifle primers where CCI regular small rifle primers. I think the only difference is the rifle cup thickness. Diameter is the same, should I randsom rest+glock from behind a barrier?
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#1]
How many you make?

I'd try 2-3 thru a glock or something, see if the primers are flattened or if there's other signs of pressure. If not then I'd treat them as +P ammo, if so, I'd pull all the bullets, dump the powder, decap all the primers
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I would actualy love to know how this turns out.

If we don't hear back, we'll assume 1 or more fingers lost in testing.

Would be nice if it works out though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I would actualy love to know how this turns out.

If we don't hear back, we'll assume 1 or more fingers lost in testing.

Would be nice if it works out though.

Glad to know my misfortune amuses you. :/
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Aren't rifle primers longer?
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 12:46:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I can never remember if small rifle in pistol loads is okay...

Somebody had contacted Speer at one point and asked, the rep said the two had such small differences (dimensional) that it wasn't a problem.

Once again, I only remember enough to get you in trouble, not get you out.

Tomorrow take a friend shooting and let them use the reloads.  It is like going hunting, you take the other persons car so yours doesn't get dinged up.

Quick "Google" search says you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 12:55:08 AM EDT
[#6]
All the dimensions of the CCI small magnum pistol primers and CCI small rifle are the same. The filling on the inside of the rifle primers is yellow and the pistol is orange. I identified(just pulled a bullet from each batch and shinned a flashlight into the case to see the color of the primer cup) the batch of 9mm that has the rifle primers, its about 175rds .  Will probably end up pulling them all eventually.

The moral of the story: KEEP YOUR RIFLE AND PISTOL PRIMERS SEPARATE!
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 1:43:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I load my 9mm with SR and they work fine.  SR have a harder cup and some pistols may not work with them but you need to take that on a case by case basis.

Obviously you should always work up a load but I can say that with Bullseye my loads with SR are them same as my load with SP primers.

I would test a few and check for pressure signs and take it from there.

Link Posted: 9/5/2009 2:25:14 AM EDT
[#8]
depends on the gun. i have guns i wouldn't give it a second thought, others i wouldn't use because it isn't worth it. I think though, you won't even noticeand difference. you may "feel" that you can but not really.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 5:08:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
All the dimensions of the CCI small magnum pistol primers and CCI small rifle are the same. The filling on the inside of the rifle primers is yellow and the pistol is orange. I identified(just pulled a bullet from each batch and shinned a flashlight into the case to see the color of the primer cup) the batch of 9mm that has the rifle primers, its about 175rds .  Will probably end up pulling them all eventually.

The moral of the story: KEEP YOUR RIFLE AND PISTOL PRIMERS SEPARATE!

You're not seeing the priming compound, that's the foil seal over the priming.  But, that doesn't mean it's not a way to sort through the primers you have.  Next batch might be different, however.

I hear you. I think I'll be fine because I loaded all these rounds in the past couple weeks with the same bunch of primers. Gonna see what CCI says on mon.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I've used small rifle primers for pistol loads....they shot just fine in both my glock 19 and 9mm AR15....the only problem I have heard is some pistols hammers/strikers dont have enough power to set the primer off.  I'd say fire a few and check for signs of pressure....you should be fine though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I've accidentally done that with 38 special before.

A decent 38 or 357 will light them up just like any small pistol primer, you won't notice the difference if the Glock manages to set them off.

Link Posted: 9/5/2009 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've used small rifle primers for pistol loads....they shot just fine in both my glock 19 and 9mm AR15....the only problem I have heard is some pistols hammers/strikers dont have enough power to set the primer off.  I'd say fire a few and check for signs of pressure....you should be fine though.

+1, worked in my G17 just fine.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm just finishing up a brick of sr. for my 9mm , not seeing any adverse effects
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I've used small rifle for 9mm with no problems whatsoever.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How many you make?

I'd try 2-3 thru a glock or something, see if the primers are flattened or if there's other signs of pressure.

He'll never see flattened primers.  Since rifle primers are thicker they won't flatten until much higher pressure than pistol primers do.

Link Posted: 9/6/2009 1:11:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Agreed with all the above.  It shouldn't cause any pressure issues, it's mainly an issue of whether or not your particular pistol will ignite them reliably, as they're thicker than SP, as others have stated.

I'd definitely go out and shoot some before pulling all of them..................if you don't have reliable ignition, might as well pull 'em, if they fire, then you're good to go.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:47:57 AM EDT
[#18]
This is the thread you're looking for - the OP in that thread talked to tech support at CCI, and found out that most people there just bought small rifle primers to use for ALL their small primer applications (pistol, pistol magnum, AND rifle).

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=282516
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#19]
ShootToKill, have you shot any of your's yet?

Or are you not responding because you lost fingers?

Just kidding, I just wanted to hear your experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top