Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2012 3:42:48 PM EDT
As I said I shot my first 600 yrd. match and I need feedback. I am shooting my Springfield M1A Loaded with a 6-24X44 BSA, 168 grn SMK's 42 grns of IMR 4895 and Mixed LC brass. I shot a 564 10 X out of 600.Is this an acceptable score for my first time? I think I did OK but boy am I sore today after shooting 60 rnds and pulling in the pits for 6 hours.

It sure was fun but some of those guys are real snobs as far as their equipment and mentality goes. $1500 setup vs. $10,000 set ups I think not too bad.Woo Hoo.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you did great!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#2]
564 10x?

Me thinks you don't "really" need to ask anymore than you need me to answer.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I am pretty pumped. I won a bore light and a jag tip box and jags. This was the last match of the year but they MAY have another one just before Holloween. and maybe one on New Years Eve.

NEW YEAR'S EVE.......It might be COLD...DAMN COLD in MI by then. LOL

If anyone is interested this shoot will be at the Midland County Sportsmans Club in Midland MI. go on line @ MCSC and find out more.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#4]
F/TR class sounds pretty good for shooting off of a bipod...how about taking that scope off and shoot with your sling and iron sights?
Where I shoot, I don't ever see that kind of snobbery, everyone is always glad to help the noobies.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 5:43:56 AM EDT
[#5]
ehh, its probably just that you with your 1500.00 rig outshot thier 15000.00 rig and they are but hurt...
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 9:25:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you had a good day.

Overall would you say you like the 168 SMK's?

I have been kicking around what round to load up for my Garand. I also have a a M1A that I have been shooting with a M118LR clone (175 SMK) and was debating keeping my bullet selection simple (i.e. just one round). I know some people say that 174 is the max for a Garand and I would not be shooting at anything over 600 yards anyway....

anyone's thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have been kicking around what round to load up for my Garand. I also have a a M1A that I have been shooting with a M118LR clone (175 SMK) and was debating keeping my bullet selection simple (i.e. just one round). I know some people say that 174 is the max for a Garand and I would not be shooting at anything over 600 yards anyway....

anyone's thoughts?

I shoot 168 SMK's at 600 yards for High Power competition...my load is 41.5 grains IMR 4895, CCI 34 primers, OAL 2.8 in LC cases. That is pretty much an old standard for the M14.

I haven't settled on a favorite 30-06 load for M1's yet.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

anyone's thoughts?

I shoot 168 SMK's at 600 yards for High Power competition...my load is 41.5 grains IMR 4895, CCI 34 primers, OAL 2.8 in LC cases. That is pretty much an old standard for the M14.

I haven't settled on a favorite 30-06 load for M1's yet.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

anyone's thoughts?

O.K I will say that I shot my M-1 Garand at 100yrds yesterday and after cold bore shots and cleaning out the small amount of cleaning oil i shot 4 in the X ring and 2 in the 10 ring. My load....168 grn SMK's
48 grns IMR 4895,LC brass and CCI large rifle primers.  Pretty good for a 60 year old battle rifle.

Not braggin............. it sure feels good shooting a good ole' rifle....and hearing that ping!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try a few of those loads out and you should like them. I  have not shot them at 600 yet but my buddy, who is a die hard military firearm fan uses the same load.

Enjoy shooting and post your results.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 7:05:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ehh, its probably just that you with your 1500.00 rig outshot thier 15000.00 rig and they are but hurt...

This is usually the case saw a Marine do this to some of the comp snobs showing up with just basics and you have the serious enthusiast out there with top of the line everything and he basically showed what a Devil Dog can do with a rifle and they were all pissed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

anyone's thoughts?

O.K I will say that I shot my M-1 Garand at 100yrds yesterday and after cold bore shots and cleaning out the small amount of cleaning oil i shot 4 in the X ring and 2 in the 10 ring. My load....168 grn SMK's
48 grns IMR 4895,LC brass and CCI large rifle primers.  Pretty good for a 60 year old battle rifle.

Not braggin............. it sure feels good shooting a good ole' rifle....and hearing that ping!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/M1AJAS/MYNEWTOY.jpg

Try a few of those loads out and you should like them. I  have not shot them at 600 yet but my buddy, who is a die hard military firearm fan uses the same load.

Wow, that is a beautiful piece of wood!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is usually the case saw a Marine do this to some of the comp snobs showing up with just basics and you have the serious enthusiast out there with top of the line everything and he basically showed what a Devil Dog can do with a rifle and they were all pissed.

Everyone probably wanted his rifle when it was all done and they probably thought his rifle or ammo was something special.  Hehehhehe.  OK, not ALL but some.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

anyone's thoughts?

I have to admit that this stock is BRAND NEW on a rifle that was rebuilt in 1957.....I don't care I didn't buy it for a safe queen... I bought it as a shooter

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#14]
NRA Mid-Range Highpower Rifle Classifications:

19.15 Individual Class Averages - Competitors classified or reclassified on the basis of scores fired under the conditions specified in Rule 19.4, reduced to 10 shot averages, those averages leading to classifications as shown in Table II or III below:

TABLE NO. II
INDIVIDUAL & LONG RANGE
High Master . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 97.00 and above
Master . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 94.00 to 96.99
Expert . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 89.00 to 93.99
Sharpshooter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 84.00 to 88.99
Marksman . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Below 84.00
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 8:29:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

19.15 Individual Class Averages - Competitors classified or reclassified on the basis of scores fired under the conditions specified in Rule 19.4, reduced to 10 shot averages, those averages leading to classifications as shown in Table II or III below:

TABLE NO. II
INDIVIDUAL & LONG RANGE

So if my calculations are right I shot in the master class is that right?

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

anyone's thoughts?

I have to admit that this stock is BRAND NEW on a rifle that was rebuilt in 1957.....I don't care I didn't buy it for a safe queen... I bought it as a shooter

yea, I new it was a repop, I am a sucker for light colored stocks on a Garand. Where did you get it?
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Yup.  I believe once you've fired 80 shots in competition you will get an NRA Classification Card in the mail.

Congrats –– quite an accomplishment first time out!
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yup.  I believe once you've fired 80 shots in competition you will get an NRA Classification Card in the mail.

I believe he has to fire three matches in a row or 180 rounds for MRP to get his average and ranking. I know it's three matches for shooting Across the Course (XTC) or 240 rounds to move up in rank.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:17:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

TABLE NO. II
INDIVIDUAL & LONG RANGE

I thought those were for HP and not F-class?
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 3:02:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TABLE NO. II
INDIVIDUAL & LONG RANGE

I thought those were for HP and not F-class?

I believe you're right, that is for HP!
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

anyone's thoughts?

yea, I new it was a repop, I am a sucker for light colored stocks on a Garand. Where did you get it?

Yea I got it in March from the CMP. I sent a letter sayin' I didn't care about correctness but good but good numbers on TE and ME. I LOVE THIS RIFLE.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well I have to admit that I practiced all last summer.

But there is another match just before Halloween................ I better get my warm clothes out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  After all it is Michigan.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top