Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2007 1:28:42 PM EDT
Hi Guys,
I need some advice from you experience 10/22ers. I have only $500 for the kids budget. The kids seem to be hogging up the AR's when we go to the range. LOL
Everytime we go out between my two kids they shoot up about 500 rounds of 223, Gets expensive. Ans I am not wealthy.

So, with that being said. I thought it would be cool to build them up a nice target 10/22. in 17cal or 22cal.

Do you all have any links for barrels etc.
I should just buy a bone stock 22 right. Then buy a stock and barrel. I already have a few scopes .

Any recomendations will be apreciated. My one concern is though. Will the stock be to long for my boy to handle. He has litterally grew up with shooting an AR with the stock collapsed all the way. he only 6 so he still has a short arms reach.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Well you have some option's... how about a .22 kit like a Ceiner or the M261 for your AR? they tend to run fairly well, 30 rd mag's are fairly cheap, your kid's and yourself can get AR trigger time at plinking prices.

If you want a 10/22 for the kids and yourself(don't lie) then stick with a BONE STOCK 10/22 for now... they make a youth model IIRC with a shorter length of pull... or do like I did and chop down the standard stock to fit your're kid's. Spend the $ you save by not buying a trick barrel, stock ect. on LOT's of mag's and ammo. You can alway's dress it up later. FORGET the .17!!! not that it's a bad round its just far to expensive for plinking IMHO.

John
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
go here the only site for rimfires
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/
look here first. also look at the marlin, mossberg, remmy, winchester, and cz threads, before deciding on a ruger.  I have one that would be considered superstock, which is, looks very origional, but has upgraded internals, to throw everyone off, on how well it shoots, and it's reliability.  Most 10.22's out of the box, are not that accurate, or reliable.  If you want to dump a bunch of money into a rifle, then a 10.22 is perfect.  Also , if they are going to shoot
500 rounds a piece, dont' get a 17, that ammo is as expensive or more, than 223. get a 17mach 2, or 22lr.  heck , some decent match grade 22 ammo , is as expensive as 17mach 2, and the mach 2 is funner faster, more accurate, and shoots like a laser , out to 150 yds.
I am pretty much totally obsessed with the mach 2 rounds and rifles right now.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 4:42:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I will have to respectfully disagree with maccabbee concerning accuracy and reliability. IMO most 10/22s are reliable and accurate out of the box. In fact, a stock 10/22 is more accurate than most people can shoot them. A decent scope will wring out that accuracy more than anything else.

Are there better 22 rifles out there? Yes, it depends on how much you want to spend.

Are there more versitile 22 rifles out there? NO!

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#4]
MACCABBEE... your crazy... Your seriously the 1st person I have ever heard say negative things about 10/22's....

I must say your full of SHIT... I don't get mine untill tommorow but I have been shooting my father's for years... and they are extremely accurate out of the box and it has never jammed ever... No other gun has the track record the 10/22 has... so stop letting your opinion confuse you with facts... because nothing you said was fact... and your opinion sucks...

Probably more accurate out of the box with Federal value pack .22LR then your capable of shooting... seriously...
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I have found the 10/22 to be the most realiable rifle I ever owned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top