Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 6/23/2011 12:45:17 PM EDT
I have a dedicated .22 barrel from an AR-15 upper that needs the OD turned from .5" to .45". Only about 1" total length needs to be turned down. I called a local shop in MS and they estimated between 75 and 100 bucks . I know that ADCO could probably do this for me, but besides them, aren't there some barrel makers/machinist here on ARFCOM that have done work like this before. I think there was a guy called Reztadog or something like that. What would be the going rate for that kind of procedure I was hoping to have it come out at less than $50.

The reason I need the work done, is becuase I just got a CMMG .22 conversion, and I need the supplied .45" chamber adapter to fit my .5" chambered Spikes/Lothar Walther Barrel.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 3:55:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By squirrelslayer1:
I have a dedicated .22 barrel from an AR-15 upper that needs the OD turned from .5" to .45". Only about 1" total length needs to be turned down. I called a local shop in MS and they estimated between 75 and 100 bucks . I know that ADCO could probably do this for me, but besides them, aren't there some barrel makers/machinist here on ARFCOM that have done work like this before. I think there was a guy called Reztadog or something like that. What would be the going rate for that kind of procedure I was hoping to have it come out at less than $50.

The reason I need the work done, is becuase I just got a CMMG .22 conversion, and I need the supplied .45" chamber adapter to fit my .5" chambered Spikes/Lothar Walther Barrel.

What do you think they bill their time at?  That's as good a price as you'll get from a local shop that isn't a gunsmith, IMO.  I surely wouldn't do it for less if I was a gunsmith, either.

When I worked at one of the cheapest rated job shops in our area, it was $60/hour on the LOW end.

Link Posted: 6/24/2011 3:59:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 4:29:00 AM EDT
The $75 isn't so bad when you consider that they are going to have a little set up time to properly turn your bbl between centers.  The $100 is a little steep for that task seeing that it is only two or three cuts.

MLG
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 5:55:56 AM EDT
The more i look at the cost of tooling and machines the more i understand the prices machinist want.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 6:22:39 AM EDT
I decided to go a different route. I had a revelation; instead of cutting the barrel down to work with my CMMG kit, I realized that I could just order a Spikes ST-22 collar adapter for $45. Sometimes, I think about all the times I have needed just a little bit of lathe work, and I wonder if I just just buy a small table top lathe.
Top Top