Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2002 7:29:04 PM EDT
Ok, so I buggered up one mag and I don't want to screw up the rest, so I'm asking for all your help!  

I just bought a bunch of green followers and I'm trying to install them.  I've had trouble getting the front end of the follower in since it has the corrected extension on it and I can't "turn" the follower into the mag.  

Can someone post a how-to on installing these into my mags?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, I've got the whole "bottom loading" thing down, but my problem started with  the spring that keeps the base plate in place.  I tried bending it up to allow for a simple slipping in of the new follower/spring assembly and it popped a rivet on the front edge of the magazine.  Maybe this is unique to 20 rd Colt mags, but I'm assuming that the spring (not the follower spring, the base/body spring) is presant on all mags.  Its also on a universal I own and I'm having the same problem with that one.

Oh yeah, its also worth noting that these 20 round mags had 5 round limiters in them, will that pose any legal problems for me?  There was a brass limiter arrangement which easily popped out.

So where do I go from here?  If noone knows what I'm talking about, let me know so I can take a dig pic in the morning.  

Thanks for the response Bee man!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, this is where I feel like a jackass and scurry off to apologize to my mag for man handling it!  Thanks B!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#6]
mwuahahahahah!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't feel bad about this. Not everyone is mag guru's like most folks here. But you learned something today by your mistake and I am sure you will never forget it! That's how we all learn.

But on to your matter, the 20 round mags do not use the green follower. Check the mag section here and see what is said there. There should be a FAQ in there. I think it may be possible to trim the green followers and get them to fit in a 20 round mag, but I see no need for them.

If your mags have the alloy follower in them, then just leave them alone. These followers are fine. I have actually noticed that these have less tilting potential than even the 30 rounders after green followers are installed. This just isn't a problem with these mags. If they are heavily used, then take the mag apart and clean the follower and replace it. If you have one of the Colt factory mags with the black plastic follower, the try to trade them for ones with the metal one or hunt for metal ones. The plastic follower 20 rounders are not as common as the the GI contract 20 rounders with metal follower, but they are out there.

Anyway good luck and I hope you get all your mags fixed up. If you need any help later, feel free to come back and we'll try to help you out as best as we can.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#8]
so, what are you going to do with the green followers?
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:15:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top