Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 1:38:20 PM EDT
My great great aunt has a cabinet full of old guns that she asked me to do some research on for her. I think she wants an idea of the value too, because she wants to insure them.
I figured if any body could help it would be somebody on here. I have pictures (about 80 of them) but I'm not sure exactly how to go about putting that many pics up here. I don't know if photbucket will let me save that many pics.
If anybody has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.
I'll start out with a few and see how many I can get on here. Thank you for the help.

ETA: The markings on this 12 ga shotgun were Iverson________Rifleworks

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#1]
photobucket will....I've got over 400 in mine
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#2]
The single shot Iver Johnson won't be worth very much, maybe $95 or so?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:58:44 AM EDT
[#3]
The second gun pictured is a Stevens Pope coach gun.  Theycame in sets, rifle, shotgun, and pistol.  That is worth $300-$600.  The Krag carbine is probably around $500 tops; I am not up to speed on Krags like I once was.  An original carbine is worth at least $1,500 do some research at jouster and see if it is a legit carbine or a cutdown rifle.  That old Colt pistol should fetch a few bucks as well, big bucks!  A nice bunch of older pieces there, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:27:50 AM EDT
[#4]
You've got your work cut out as far as research goes. Your old Colt pistols will bring a chunk of change.
I would see if you can find some old sales brochures from large auction houses and see if you can find examples of the types of guns your GG Aunt has.
Sometimes they are available and the prices the guns sold for.
I'm not sure of what the antique trade periodicals are that have that information but they exist.
There are all types of "experts" that will set values on guns for a fee but they may not be worth a damn. You wouldn't find out until you had to file an insurance claim. Best to get two or three opinions before you insure them.
As far as prices and values go, they vary around the country. What someone in Texas or Oklahoma will pay for a SA Colt is generally more than someone will pay in South Carolina or North Carolina, etc.
So any "book value" is subjective to a large degree.
Your black powder shotgun (third gun down) is most likely an English made double. I had one about 30 years ago. I had paid $75 for it, cleaned it up, admired it, then sold it to purchase a washer and dryer when my wife became pregnant with our first born. I sold it for $500 in 1978.
So I would bet that shotgun is worth a large chunk of change also.
Please post more pics. I enjoy looking at them and I thank you for showing them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:21:09 AM EDT
[#5]
generic old single-barrel shotgun $100

Stevens Tip-up w/ foreend  $400-500

Generic double-barreled percission shotgun missing ram -

Generic double-barreled percussion shotgun w.ram -

The Krag is a cutdown M1896 rifle. It has an 1896 rear sight, a M1903 front sight, is missing the top handguard, and some of the parts look to have been painted at some point (buttplate, front band and triggerguard).   $200-300

M1864 Snider breechloading rifle w/ butchered stock. $200-300

Generic double-barreled percussion shotgun w/ fancy engravings

US Revolver Co topbreak(think Lorcin of the day) - $50

Blued Marlin 1887 revolver - $100-200

H&R Bulldog Safety Hammerless - $50

Generic Spur-Trigger revolver -

Manhattan(?) Hammer Pistol - $200-300

Hunkajunk Dbl-bbl percussion pistol - $10

Colt Model 1851 Navy revolver, Fourth Model, pitted and rusting - $400-500

JM Cooper Pocket Model Revolver, 2nd model, ? variation - $200-300

Any markings info on the "Generic" ones would help, a clear photo of the address on the Cooper also.

Basically, they are all old and show it.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

1st gun - I disagree that its a generic old single shot. It needs some more research. Not to mean its some rare $$$ shotgun just that it doesn't appear to be the
garden variety single shot turn of the century shotgun.

Its not English at all. The barrel is Belgian proofed and I see "Etienne" on the side plate as in St.Etienne, France.
Its a French Snider conversion and is probably a shotgun as in Zulu shotgun.
http://arms2armor.com/store/product381.html

Pretty sure Iver-Johnson made these.

This one needs more research.

Needs more research. Interesting for some reason.

Actually, its Hunkajunk Gun & Bicycle Works Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts .
Not an uncommon design double barrel pistol Probably 1850s. There's something about it that screams....... (Negro gun)

Back in the 1950s in the middle of Nowhere, USA were places that had "world's largest rattlesnake" or "indian mummy woman" or Burma shave signs all along the road. So this place had a "gun" collection hanging on the walls of guns collected from the town barber (and undertaker) and that's where they came from.

I agree on the 1851 Colt. NRA Junky condition but people are crazy on Colts. The Stevens is kinda cool but it looks to have been "cleaned" rather severely at one point on the receiver.

Nothing to get crazy about here but its always fun to discover new stuff. There's actually quite a bit of education possible here if you're a student of firearms history.
"Flaydermans's Guide to Antique American Firearms" should be on your bookshelf.

Dutch
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1st gun - I disagree that its a generic old single shot. It needs some more research. Not to mean its some rare $$$ shotgun just that it doesn't appear to be the

I used the term Generic to mean "more info needed".

Its not English at all. The barrel is Belgian proofed and I see "Etienne" on the side plate as in St.Etienne, France.

Correct $100

They did, and cheaply.

Not an uncommon design double barrel pistol Probably 1850s. There's something about it that screams....... (Negro gun)

Back in the 1950s in the middle of Nowhere, USA were places that had "world's largest rattlesnake" or "indian mummy woman" or Burma shave signs all along the road. So this place had a "gun" collection hanging on the walls of guns collected from the town barber (and undertaker) and that's where they came from.

I agree on the 1851 Colt. NRA Junky condition but people are crazy on Colts. The Stevens is kinda cool but it looks to have been "cleaned" rather severely at one point on the receiver.

Nothing to get crazy about here but its always fun to discover new stuff. There's actually quite a bit of education possible here if you're a student of firearms history.

Dutch

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:04:27 AM EDT
[#8]
You shure have some history there my friend. The only guns I have interest in is the Hammered shotgun and the Colts. Good luck .....
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I would find someone to appraise them. Sometimes an average looking peice can be worth quite a bit more because of year, varient, or rareity. I'm not saying the person(s) that posted may not be correct, but you never know.
I bought an average looking Thompson/AO 1911a1 in 10mm way back, used from a gunstore. It turns out it was the test bed for the 10mm secret service trials. The serial numbers match the lot manufactured for the trials.
I paid $175.00, book is 8X that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Stevens Tip-up w/ foreend  $400-500

Generic double-barreled percission shotgun missing ram -

Generic double-barreled percussion shotgun w.ram -

The Krag is a cutdown M1896 rifle. It has an 1896 rear sight, a M1903 front sight, is missing the top handguard, and some of the parts look to have been painted at some point (buttplate, front band and triggerguard).   $200-300

Generic double-barreled percussion shotgun w/ fancy engravings

Blued Marlin 1887 revolver - $100-200

H&R Bulldog Safety Hammerless - $50

Colt Model 1851 Navy revolver, Fourth Model, pitted and rusting - $400-500

JM Cooper Pocket Model Revolver, 2nd model, ? variation - $200-300

Any markings info on the "Generic" ones would help, a clear photo of the address on the Cooper also.

The perc. shotgun without the ram Had "London" and then what looked like "Long Guns" on top of the barrels in an old english looking style of print; on the L/H side of the reciever it was stamped "DEAN"
The other perc. shotgun had "MIDDLETON" stamped on one side of the reciever
The last double barrel perc. cap shotgun with the fancy engravings had no markings that I could see
The spur trigger revolver was marked "RETRIEVER MADE BY T.E. Ryan NORWICH. CT"
On the cooper was engraved "ADDRESS COOPER FIREARMS -and then I couldn't read what came next, but there was something there"; There was also "PAT. JAN 7 1851 APR 20 1854 SEP 4 1860 SEP 1 1863 Sep 22 1863"

Thank you all for the great info. There were some bayonets in there as well as an old sword. There was also powder flasks, old ammo ( .303 Savage Soft Point), old knife, pig tusks and a lot of other small stuff. It was all in an old gun cabinet that my great great great grandfather ( I think that's right) made. Oh, and there was a pair of moccasins that his wife wore. She was an indian that he married in California.
I'll post some pics of the other stuff later. I'm sure you all will find those interesting as well.
And, my great great uncle was a funeral director and his father was an undertaker so... there is a possibility that he got a few of them from "clients." My aunt said they have just been collected over time and she didn't know much about them, but she wants to make sure they stay in the family. It was really cool for me to get to go through the gun cabinet.
Thank you again and I will post some more of the markings later along with the other pictures.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dutch

When I looked up the mark on that barrel I came up with Snyder Action
The relatives on that side of the family were undertakers and then funeral directors. My aunt said they have been collected over time so it probably is like the same thing you were talking about. It's neat how things were back then.
Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#12]
That makes the Cooper a 1st Model then if serial # is 1-400, add $50-75.

The T.E. Ryan "Retriever" is a "Suicide Special", cheaply made and unsafe to fire. $50-100

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top