Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2010 5:32:23 AM EDT
As the title states, I would like a replacement pad for the shotgun below.

She kicks like a mule, so any recoil absorbtion would be good. Google hasn't been too helpful to me. So far, I have found a mention of the Winchester 1300 limbsaver fitting on an M1, but don't know if they meant the field, or the tactical, and I don't necessarily trust the source either.

Also, using the Limbsaver Crossreference Chart, it says to use the Remington 700 pad (10112), but then states that you have to drill new holes.

Has anyone tried either of these wtih success? Are there any alternatives to Limbsaver?
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 8:07:05 AM EDT
Here are some more pics.

This angle shows the mounting of the pad to the stock. As you can see, there is a step down. This presents a problem. Most recoil pads do not offer this step down...they mount flush with the end of hte stock. I will lose a little structural integrity using one of them. They also make a couple of them with the step down, but the overall dimensions are off. It would take manipulation of hte pad such that the depth of the step down was identical. No matter what I go with, the holes aren't going to lineup. This stock has some of the furthest spaced holes of any that I've seen.

I went to limbsaver.com and kickeez.com and printed out the closest templates to what I needed. None of them matched up, so at the least, I need to drill new holes in the pad. But how do I deal with the step down? I thought about using wood. I could make a mounting braket for a flush fitting recoil pad. The wood would be the shape of the step down region, and it would offer some structural reinforcement for the stock. I'd screw the wooden bracket intot he stock using the holes already in the stock. Then, I could drill holes into the wood, and mount a nut of some sort to accept the screws that hold the recoil pad on.

Some recoil pads already have the step down. My options are to modify one of these types of recoil pads, and drill new mounting holes, or to go with a mounting bracket (likely out of wood) and a flush mounting pad. Any insight would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 3:10:57 AM EDT
I'd take the stock off and send it to Guncat. Tell him to custom fit a Limbsaver pad.
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 8:38:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By glazer1972:
I'd take the stock off and send it to Guncat. Tell him to custom fit a Limbsaver pad.

I would be interested to learn what he could offer. How do I establish contact?
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 8:46:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/1/2010 8:47:06 AM EDT by glazer1972]
Send him an IM or email. Link to his barrel threading ad.

or http://roseactionsports.com/default.aspx
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 9:33:11 AM EDT
Make an insert cap/plug out of aluminum that is flush with the stock then add any pad you like.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 10:02:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By HKJAY:
Make an insert cap/plug out of aluminum that is flush with the stock then add any pad you like.

Is aluminum easy to work with? I found some 2X4 scraps in a nearby construction dumpster this weekend, and plan to sketch out the pattern on that, and see what I can come up with. How is it cutting/working with aluminum?
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 10:39:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 12:18:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FreeFloater:

Is aluminum easy to work with? I found some 2X4 scraps in a nearby construction dumpster this weekend, and plan to sketch out the pattern on that, and see what I can come up with. How is it cutting/working with aluminum?

A piece of aluminum plate cut and shaped on a belt sander or dremil will fit right into that recesed stock area. Secure it with counter sunk screws at the stock pad holes and then drill new holes in the plate for the NEW pad hole layout.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 11:04:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By FreeFloater:

A piece of aluminum plate cut and shaped on a belt sander or dremil will fit right into that recesed stock area. Secure it with counter sunk screws at the stock pad holes and then drill new holes in the plate for the NEW pad hole layout.

I made this bracket almost 2 weeks ago, and tested it out this weekend. The Recoil control of the Limbsaver is noticible...though she still kicks like a mule. I use 1/8" aluminum, and secured some Tee Nuts using JB Weld. It came out rough though because my cutting bit on teh Dremmel wasn't the best. I now own a tungsten-carbide cutting bit capable of cutting hardened steel. It should but through the aluminum like butter right? Will I get smoother edges with that bit? Also, on the next version, I may use rivets instead of JB Weld to hold the Tee Nuts in place.

I think I'll use up my 3ft section of aluminum, and make 4-6 more of these. If they look good, I'll try to sell them here and there to recover my costs. Afterall, nobody is selling anything like this...and I would have gladly paid $20-30 for something like this 3 weeks ago.

Also, the 10112 Limbsaver is a perfect fit for the M1 stock. With this bracket, I avoid making new holes in the pad, and I maintain structural integrity. I am sure others with a hard-kicking M1 would want a solution like this...that'll be my market

Top Top