Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 8:07:15 AM EDT
 A few years ago Accuracy Speaks in Mesa Arizona BUTCHERED a Remington 700 that I had them work on.  I had them install a sako Extractor conversion which turned out to be one of the WORST ideas I have ever discovered....THE HARD WAY.  They, of course, wouldn't back up their work.

Long story short:  because I live in an APT there is no way in hell I am gonna send my gun to REM because I don't trust it getting back to me.  I don't wanna bother my usual smiths for the trouble ( for sending and receiving ) as these guys have always been so gracious to me in the past.  What I would LIKE to do is just get a stainless long action, magnum (.300 Win ) bolt body ( don't need the firing pin assembly ) and have it headspaced at one of my smiths, a fairy easy job.  Remington does not sell bolt bodies to the public...is there any way I can get one from outside the loop????

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Would it be possible to either ship the rifle from a local gun shop & have Remington ship it back to them for you to pick it up there, or just ship it back to them regardless of where it came from?

It'd be worth the $20 or so to me to pay the gun shop to do this for me, given your circumstances.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Just curious, but how did they screw that up? It is a very common conversion in this area and you usually get a 2nd ejector to boot.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a blued 30-06 size bolt on eBay now. You may be able to get it opened up to mag bolt face size. Be warned, they don't go cheap.

Headspacing is not necessarily an easy job. If the bolt closes on a No-Go gage, the smith will have to set the barrel back a thread. This requires removing the barrel, turning 1/20 of an inch off the breach and shoulder and reaming the chamber. This won't be cheap either.

It would be simpler to FedEx it to Remington and have them FedEx it back. With the return tracking number you can have it held for pickup at the FedEx terminal. This means you don't need to worry about your doper neighbor stealing your rifle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:23:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There's a blued 30-06 size bolt on eBay now. You may be able to get it opened up to mag bolt face size. Be warned, they don't go cheap.

Headspacing is not necessarily an easy job. If the bolt closes on a No-Go gage, the smith will have to set the barrel back a thread. This requires removing the barrel, turning 1/20 of an inch off the breach and shoulder and reaming the chamber. This won't be cheap either.

It would be simpler to FedEx it to Remington and have them FedEx it back. With the return tracking number you can have it held for pickup at the FedEx terminal. This means you don't need to worry about your doper neighbor stealing your rifle.

Looks like this may be the route I take....just wanted to avoid the pain in the ass...I don't you if one can specify pre-ten a.m. delivery in all cases ( not just overnite ) because I am routinely home in the mornings.......I just like to be prepared for any contingency.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:25:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just curious, but how did they screw that up? It is a very common conversion in this area and you usually get a 2nd ejector to boot.

I have thought of using the second ejector but noone that I know of does the conversion.....I'd really like to try it as the extraction on the SAKO works great ( unlike the tin foil extractor I was using ) but the ejection profile is shot...this is where the second ejector comes in....can you gimme info????  Would appreciate it!

IM sent
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Good Morning,
Try here www.wildwestguns.com   Toll Free 1-800-992-4570
Install Sako type extractor with double ejectors $110.00
I would think one could send the bolt only.
I had this done on my "338 Ultra Dog from Hell" it worked well but I never trusted the gun due to all the problems I had with it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:34:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Give Numrich Arms or Gun Parts Corp. or whatever name they go by this week a call. They usually have parts for 700's.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Good Morning,
I had this done on my "338 Ultra Dog from Hell" it worked well but I never trusted the gun due to all the problems I had with it.

I'' do exactly that.  My Rem Sendero is amazingly accurate but the cheesy Rem extractor always left empty cases in the canber, the Sako cured that BUT then the gun would just drop them back into the mag well.  Accuracy speaks said ( and I quote ): "So?"  After careful examination of exactly HOW the extractor works in a Remington I have furthoer sworn off of the Remington action FOREVER.  But dammit!  Why do Remingtons have to be so accurate???  I thought of installing a double ejector when I first analyzed the issue but thought it wouldn't work.....I guess it does???

I should say that you get reliable EJECTION and EXTRACTION????

Thanks for the help, EVERYONE!!!

Moon
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#9]
desertmoon,
It just dawned on me your rifle is chambered for the 300 Win Mag, this seems to be where the ejector on the 700 is becoming somewhat taxed, but it should do the job. I think a good bolt cleaning and a new plunger spring may fix you up.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
desertmoon,
It just dawned on me your rifle is chambered for the 300 Win Mag, this seems to be where the ejector on the 700 is becoming somewhat taxed, but it should do the job. I think a good bolt cleaning and a new plunger spring may fix you up.

Already tried it.  This issue is that due to the changing of the fulcrum point of the extractor from 3 o'clock to about 2 o'clock the pressure on the cartridge causes it to ride at a point along the receiver wall that reduces the amount of outward pressure on the cartridge to a point that it falls right out of the extractor claw...what I need is an ejector that compensates for not only the loss of pressure but also for the change of angle.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Good Morning,

What were all of the issues??  Just curious.  More to the point, did it eject reliably afterward???
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Out of the box the 338 Ultra Dog had a very tight chamber and wouldn't chamber the 250 Gr. Remington factory ammunition, the extractor wouldn't catch the case rim to extract the cartridge and I don't know if the ejector would have worked or not.
I contacted Remington and they were very helpful and pleasent. I sent the gun to them as requested, a week or two later I got a call from one of the contractors who does thier warranty service work, he said the gun had been received, would be repaired and shipped the next day. About three weeks later I called to see if there was a problem as I hadn't received the gun they (contractor) had no record of me or the gun, he said he would find out what the problem was and get back to me. Sure enough he called me the next morning and said he had found the gun and would ship it by air. Great, I got the gun, it had around 6000 miles on it, probably handled by numerous people, however it had not been touched by a Smith. At this point I made contact with Remington again, once again they were pleasent and really didn't know what to say. They asked me to ship the gun back at which point I declined and stated I would deal with the gun. I wasn't mad as this wasn't a big deal, it was somewhat comical looking back. I took the gun to Wild West Guns and had them do the work, turned out they are an authorized service center for Remington (NO, I don't know why Remington had me ship the gun to New York.)
Yes, it worked reliably and the guys who shoot Remingtons thought it was great and worked fine, however I wasn't comfortable with it and never would have trusted it in the Bush.
I must admit I was very impressed with the 338 Ultra Mag as a cartridge, it is very flat, very fast and very strong. It also kicked like a mule.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I am gonna give em a ring today!!!

Thanks, Rabon, I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Moon
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, I gave them a ring...the poor bastard was up to his eyeballs in alligators....also, they need the whole gun.  I do have another idea....looks like I'll try this conversion myself.  Yes, I can do it.....I just need the time......THAT is something I am currently rather short on.

Rabon...can you post a pic of your 338 bolt face?  It sounds like you no longer have it but if you do.....

or

Could you tell me how much more opposed the 2nd ejector was to the first???
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:27:42 AM EDT
[#15]
The Ultra Dog has been gone for quite sometime now, I found it a new home first chance I got.  I think the orientation of the second ejector is critical to proper functioning. When I spoke with Remington after getting the gun back untouched, I had allready made the decision they would not touch the gun again. I wanted the gun fixed in a proper manner so I could feel good about selling it, which Wild West was able to do. I'm not bashing Remington but this was not my first problem with a 700. I have not carried a PF Bolt gun in the bush in the last 20 years nor will I. I had a pretty good idea I was makeing a mistake when I bought the gun, so it was a good lesson.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:20:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The Ultra Dog has been gone for quite sometime now, I found it a new home first chance I got.  I think the orientation of the second ejector is critical to proper functioning. When I spoke with Remington after getting the gun back untouched, I had allready made the decision they would not touch the gun again. I wanted the gun fixed in a proper manner so I could feel good about selling it, which Wild West was able to do. I'm not bashing Remington but this was not my first problem with a 700. I have not carried a PF Bolt gun in the bush in the last 20 years nor will I. I had a pretty good idea I was makeing a mistake when I bought the gun, so it was a good lesson.

I, too, have had SEVERAL problems with Remington 700s and with the PF design in general.....for me if it ain't pre64 style Winchester or Mauser then I ain't dealing with it.  This gun is a joint project between my best friend and I....he bought a 700 before I could stop him.....I thought the SAKO Ex. would do the trick....what a Joke!!!!

I am heading to a friend's shop today to see if he can do the job for me or if I can borrow the mill for a while.  Gonna give it the old college try on the 2nd ejector.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I got you IM, good luck with your project.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#18]
another IM inbound.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top