Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2001 1:11:27 PM EDT
I'm saving my lunch money for my 1st AR rifle. I'm looking for sub MOA with my handloaded ammo, & weight below 8lbs. I have heavy varmint rifles, but have always wanted an AR to enjoy. Got my eye on a Bushmaster Vmatch 16", but wonder if a 20" fluted would be better option to get a little more velocity & keep weight down. Also for a newbie, do you recommend Bushmaster, or can I save a bunch of money buying upper & lower from seperate places? Any truth that chrome lines bores & chambers degrade accuracy?

Looks like $900 price for the Bushmaster from local dealers. Can I do just as good or better for less?

Please be specific, as this will be my 1st venture into semi-auto 223's
hanksHS
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Why Bushmaster, Colts hold value better
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Varminter?
IMHO: sounds like for your application you'll want the 24" barrel. The 16" barrel aint gonna cut it down range. Take a peek at some ballastic tables comparing MV and drop between the two barrel lengths given the same cartidge.

Look into the Bushy 24" National Match Target or V Match.

I have a Colt A3 Elite 24" heavy SS I use for cross-pasture wild hogs.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#4]
HogSniper,

As a balance of price and performance, and given your other requirements, I'd recommend a Bushy 20" HBAR.  It's a great rifle for the money.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, I should have been more specific on intended use of rifle. Will be used for a walking varminter, as well as calling of predators, shooting paper & fun. As I said, I have a heavy varmint rifles, so I want all the accuracy I can muster & still be able to pack the rifle all day. May be asking too much with that, I'm not sure. Will want to mount a scope, so a flatop is a definate must have, as well as a 1 in 9" twist rate to stabalize the lighter critter bullets. I like the looks of the shorter 16 - 20" AR's, just seem more close to original design & look more appealing to me. I figured 100 - 200fps loss with a shorter tube, but the 223 should still be quite capable & flat out to 300 yards or so. Am I wrong in that area? I have longer range bolt weapons, 22-250, 221FB, & .243 that are used for most of that type shooting now. If you were to shoot targets & still have a carry rifle, what would be a good compromise?

Never fired an AR yet, I was curious if  muzzle blast & noise level fierce with the shorter barrels?

I'm not stuck on any particular manufacturer. Didn't know if the chrome lining was a negative thing & I've heard positive remarks from most that own the Bushmaster.

Appreciate the feedback,
HS
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you gonna save the pelts?  If so, you might consider buying an upper in .17 Rem.  This round is quite lethal, yet does little damge to the pelts.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Not worried about saving pelts since fur market stinks now. We have some coyotes, but my main target are groundhogs, & fox. Also an occasional coon hunt. I live in WV & any centerfire rifle is legal for whitetail here. I use a 30-06 & .243 for deer, but you would be surprised how many shoot a 22 centerfire for deer. Some of the new .224 bullets designed for deer work quite well, I've witnessed that 1st hand.

Thanks all,
HS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top