Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/4/2005 6:54:03 PM EDT
Alright, I'm jumping into the M1A scene. And I mean jumping. My rifle was pulled off the rack by Dave at Jensen Arms while my money order is en route. Can't thank him enough for that one, since the local shops wanted to charge me $1400+ for a Standard Springfield w/ walnut stock. Dave and Jensen Arms gave me an outstanding price.

Got mags on the way from CDNN Invesments. Ordered from them before, and I have received high quality products for the money.

Harris bipod adapter is on the way from Brownells. I ordered the #2, which will be inlet to the stock by means of my Dremel. They had the best price shipped for the adapter.

Now brings optics. Why optics? I can shoot irons. I have no issue with iron sights. I just like the convenience of optics.

Here's what I've narrowed the choices down to: (All coming from SWFA.com, they've got the best prices on what I am looking at.)

A.R.M.S. #18 mount.

EO Tech 512 (AA version) I have no need for NV settings.
GG&G EO Tech quick mount adapter

-or-

Leupold European series 3-9x40 with duplex reticle (30mm tube)
Leupold 30mm quick release weaver rings (medium height)

Both setups will run me around $550-$600 total. I know one setup is close quarters and the other is magnified. I currently have an Aimpoint M2 on my 9mm AR, and it suits me fine. My question basically is: should I go EO Thingy and use the irons for long(er) range shots, or vice-versa and use the Leupold for long range and irons for close(er) in shots?

If there is significant reason NOT to go with the european series, please say why. I want to keep the optics in the same price-range ballpark. TIA.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:15:00 AM EDT
I'm not an optics or tactics guru but I vote for the Leupold & Stevens, Inc. rifle scope. The reason being is that you can take better advantage of the range offered by the .308 cartridge using the traditional rifle scope.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:37:46 AM EDT
I went with the ARMS #18 mount, #22M rings, and a Super Sniper 10 x 40 scope. The only reason I went with a Super Sniper is only because it was cheaper. If I had the money I would have went with one of the Leupold Mark 4 tactical scope with Mil-dot.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:40:15 AM EDT
I really like the EOTech and Leupold M8 Scout scope.

My Mk 14 Mod 0 (SASS) EBR clone will have a Leupold Mk4 1.5-5x20 M2 Illum SPR
or the Mk4 3.5-10x40 M3 Illum MIL DOT mounted on a see through SEI side mount.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:44:08 AM EDT
I would use irons.

IF you go the Leupole Euro route, check with Udog 75, I think he had one on his M1A.

R
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:25:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 13foxtrot:
I went with the ARMS #18 mount, #22M rings, and a Super Sniper 10 x 40 scope. The only reason I went with a Super Sniper is only because it was cheaper. If I had the money I would have went with one of the Leupold Mark 4 tactical scope with Mil-dot.

That's a pretty good point actually. The 16x Super Sniper is only $299 at SWFA.com. Hmmm.....damn you for bringing it up!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:51:23 PM EDT
Looking at the Super Sniper scopes on SWFA.com, there are 3 possible choices at the same price level:
10x
16x
20x (which would probably be overkill).

Is the 16x the optimal magnification for the .308?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:35:51 PM EDT
10X is plenty of magnification for the .308.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:25:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Different:
10X is plenty of magnification for the .308.

+1. Once you get over that, you start having to deal with mirage etc.

R
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:16:42 PM EDT
I think you can answer your own question simply by asking the following question:

Do I want to use this rifle for close-in work or for long range work?

Top Top