Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2002 4:11:05 AM EDT
...  M4 handguards that is. bought it a few days ago and saw that there were no vent holes.

so i charged the old cordless makita and drilled away (as the wife was looking at me with that, "youre bored and crazy!" look she always gives me when i fondle my m4gery). tip: drill from the inside out. my first hole was off center when i drilled from the outside in. i didnt realize the bit slipped a hair off center as i started drilling. oh well. adds character. make sure you smooth the burrs out. then dab the holes with  flat black paint (the pen type from birchwood casey) to darken the shiny aluminum holes.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 4:35:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know if I should bite my tongue or not. I guess I should find out what you are really talking about first. Are you saying that you drilled holes in the heat shield that sits closer to the barrel? I am going to assume that you realized that these were double heat shielded handguards and they are designed that way, the inner shields have the holes off to the sides and the heat vents out of these holes then out of the centered holes of the outer shield. Or did I misread your post?
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 4:44:32 AM EDT
[#2]
yup u read right. i know what kind of handguards they are. i just wanted more ventilation.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 6:02:39 AM EDT
[#3]
As long as your happy, then that is what counts (I guess ).

Let us know how they perform when you get a chance to try them out.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#4]
amazing. i guess all the money uncle sam spent at crane was wasted. just fire up the power tools.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I have never really thoughtthe handguards got hot enough to drill more holes in the heat sheilds on my AR,maybe just me?
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#6]

.............as the wife was looking at me with that, "youre bored and crazy!" look she always gives me..................

uh--hu
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top