Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2002 7:46:54 PM EDT
I got the Winchester classic stainless.

Now I need to figure out what to top it with. I'm looking at Kahles, Swarovski, and Zeiss.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I got the Winchester classic stainless.

Now I need to figure out what to top it with. I'm looking at Kahles, Swarovski, and Zeiss.

Congradulations, I just got the "Coyote" medium barreled varmint model, I'm using the 150grn BST and have a 4.5-14x50 Leopold mil-dot long range tactical on top.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#3]
GRRR! Now I want one. Congrats.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:53:03 PM EDT
[#4]
$650
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm thinking about scoping it with one of the new Kahles American Hunter 3.5-10x50. I'd like to get a 30mm scope but I can't justify spending almost $1000.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmmm nice.

I've been wondering about the 300WSM let us know how it shoots.

I have a Remington Sendero in 300Win.Mag. (maybe we should call it 300WLM now - LOL).
I *love* this rifle, it shoots extremely well.

Go with the Leupold scope. I've got a 30mm tube Leupold and I paid around $700 for it. Its a truly excellent scope and I wouldn't hesitate buying another or recommending it.

Here is my Sendero with the Leupold Vari-X III LRT 6.5x20 50mm scope.

I'm sure they have other models in the magnification you may need and probably for less money. I got my scope mail order from Natchez Shooters Supply. Plus you can't beat Leupold's lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:01:23 PM EDT
[#8]
My dealer is trying to get me to buy a Kahles 30mm tube. They are damn nice but $1000 is too much. I'm going to put a limit of about $700 for the scope. This is my first bolt gun so I have a question. What kind of base should I get? One piece, two piece, dovetail rings? I'm also going to replace the recoil pad because it's pretty hard rubber.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#9]
For most shooting a two piece base is fine and it may be allow for easier cleaning as it won't cover the ejection port as much.

I have a one piece and this is because of recommendations from long range shooters (I plan to do some long range shooting, 1000yds+).

Supposedly, the one piece base will contract and expand more uniformly [being that its one piece of metal versus two] as the rifle heats up. This is really only important for long range stuff for hunting and most shooting, its kinda moot.

The Leupold dual dove [two pieces, each with a dove tail] base is reasonably strong.

If you need a "bullet proof" setup there is Badger Ordnance but they are expensive (around $200 if I remember correctly).

If you can afford the 30mm tube - Get it.
It allows more light to pass through and is just nice. As I said before you can probably find a Leupold in your price range. They are great scopes and their customer service is great too!
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Get's a job one day and a gun the next.  What did you pay for it?

Apple II becomes the first mass-produced home computer. Star Wars debuts. Rings around Uranus discovered.

LOL, That is exactly what I thought.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Hope they (Winchester) have fixed these problems with your new gun: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=73643

Mike
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Hopefully my run of bad luck with guns is through. After the problems I've had with my latest Kimber I shouldn't have any more problems for 300 more years!
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:00:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Congrats on your 300WSM!  I have one myself, although it's a Browning.  Unless you're a big fan of downright EVIL RECOIL, I'd advise you to replace that factory synthetic stock with a quality aftermarket.  Not only will you add some weight to the gun, taming some of that recoil, but a new bedding job is a must if your want the best accuracy from you're rifle.  [The factory synthetic stocks seem to be bedded with hot glue].  For instance, my 300WSM Browning Abolt hunter shot a lousy 2"+ group with factory 150BSTs (which are reportedly the worst performing ammo - maybe, maybe not - read on).  After replacing my factory wood stock with a laminated thumbhole, rebedding the action, and hand-lapping the barrel, my new and improved Abolt shoots .625" groups with FACTORY 150BSTs, and .750" groups with factory 180FS ammo.  As for optics, that's your decision.  However, I would advise on using at least double dove-tail mounts and rings.  As for me, I topped mine off with Leupy VXIII 3.5-10X50 (purchased from Natchez).  I'll be working up a load with the new Barnes 168gr XLCs and CT 165gr FSs in the next few weeks and will post the results.  Enjoy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top