Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/10/2003 3:38:42 PM EDT
I'm sort of confused here. I have a friend that has a Mosin Nagant M44 carbine in 7.62x54R. For some reason he ALWAYS refers to it as a ".308" and I have no idea why. I try to tell him it is not a .308, it is a 7.62x54R. He says "no" it's a .308, you are wrong. I tell him that the .308 is 7.62x51, and he has a 7.62x54R. I tell him that the .308 is an American cartridge, and the 7.62x54R is Russian. He still calls it a .308. I tell him that if he calls his rifle a .308 at the shooting range while i'm with him, I will kill him for embarrasing me. He still says i'm wrong and it is a .308.

He also thinks that 62 grains means the amount of gun powder in the 5.56 military round. I tell him that it is the bullet weight. He tells me I'm wrong.

What the hell is wrong with my friend? I can't seem to pinpoint it?
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 3:44:20 PM EDT
yeah i hear ya , if anything he could refer to it as a .30 caliber rifle, instead of saying its a .308
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 4:09:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 4:24:50 PM EDT
True, very true.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 4:59:59 PM EDT
maybe you should get your friend on some websites.. everyone could have good laugh while learning him.

Is he new to shooting? I had a buddy like that... he got better over time after he made a goof out of himself at the range. Some of his attitude was ignorance and some was just pretty stupid. But now he's pretty good with the "gunstuff".

Buy him a good general purpose book on firearms. If that doesn't change his attitude ask to look at his M44 one day, unfold the bayonet and jab him' in the ass with it everytime he calls it a "308". That should fix the problem.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:04:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2003 5:06:37 PM EDT by RiffRandall]
I think your friend has a bad case of dumbassedness. Besides, the Mosin-Nagant isn't a .308, it's a .311. Maybe if you had him hold a 7.62x51 & a 7.62x54R cartridge side by side then he might see the light. If not then offer to buy his guns because he obviously is too damn stupid & thick headed to own dangerous tools.

<edited to add> MHPDBlue's bayonet aversion therapy idea does have merits.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:24:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Troy:

Originally Posted By hickboy:

I can: your friend is a dumbass.

-Troy

LMAO...careful Troy, that kind of frankness can get you in trouble. We must be sensitive these days.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:27:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MHPDblue:
maybe you should get your friend on some websites.. everyone could have good laugh while learning him.

Is he new to shooting? I had a buddy like that... he got better over time after he made a goof out of himself at the range. Some of his attitude was ignorance and some was just pretty stupid. But now he's pretty good with the "gunstuff".

Buy him a good general purpose book on firearms. If that doesn't change his attitude ask to look at his M44 one day, unfold the bayonet and jab him' in the ass with it everytime he calls it a "308". That should fix the problem.

He is fairly new to shooting, but that isn't the reason he calls it a .308. He is ignorant and thinks that he is always right.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 8:44:13 PM EDT
Tell him to put a "winchester brand .308" in his rifle, and fire it! just kidding of course.
Maybe if you put a .308 cartridge and a 762x54r
cartridge sise by side, he could see for himself.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 11:19:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:

-Troy

LMAO...careful Troy, that kind of frankness can get you in trouble. We must be sensitive these days.

He can say what he wants, you act like this board is a democracy, Its a AR15 worship aristocracy.
GG
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 11:29:54 PM EDT

-Troy

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 4:56:38 AM EDT
Tell your idiot friend to go into the gunstore, buy some .308 and try to fire it in his rifle. Stand VERY FAR AWAY from him if he tries this.

When his dumb ass makes is rifle go Ka-BOOM. You can just laugh at him.

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 8:46:06 AM EDT

He knows what's going on. He just likes to push your buttons, and watch you get worked up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 2:53:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RobarSR60:

He knows what's going on. He just likes to push your buttons, and watch you get worked up.

No no no, he really has no clue what he is talking about. He tries to sound cool by saying all this "gun termonolgy" and he sounds like a dumbass. I know that he isn't trying to screw with me because he tells our other friends the same thing, and our other friends probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a .308 and a 7.62x54R if they saw them side by side!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 3:06:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gun Guru:

-Troy

He can say what he wants, you act like this board is a democracy, Its a AR15 worship aristocracy.
GG

Tell that to the people that get their panties in a bunch every time you bluntly state the truth
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 4:52:13 PM EDT
It's not aristocracy, it's idolatry.
You have offended all of the idolators on this board, and you will pay.

Take away his black rifle.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:35:12 AM EDT
This is your friend? Are all your friends stupid? Give him a caliper and have him measure the thing, if that dosent wake him up, get a new friend.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 2:20:16 PM EDT

-Troy

sensitivity

The man is obviously a dumbass and that is the most accurate term. No need to water it down. Really you should get him some gun magazines(publications) and try to educate him.

Willis
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 3:22:26 PM EDT
I have tried to educate his sorry ass before. All I got was a joking, "Shut up Mike! You don't know more about my rifle than me!" I've given up. Today at school, he tried to tell me that his rifle was DESIGNED to be fired from the hip while running with the bayonet out. I asked him, "How was your rifle DESIGNED to be fired from the hip while running?" He said it was how the Russian's designed it. I asked him, "Then why does it have sights and a butt stock? He told me "the sights are for aiming and the butt stock was for putting the rifle up to you sholder to fire." I said, "I thought it was designed to be fired from the hip?" Well, his arguement took a dive and he tried to change the subject real fast!!

BTW- No, not all my friends are this hard-headed (Stupid). He thinks because his mom bought him a rifle that he knows all about ballistics, gun design, gun history, and gun future. All of my other friends just believe what I tell them even if my dumb friend tells them otherwise because they know that I'm the "master" of firearms at my school.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:10:12 PM EDT
IM us his phone number :) We'll sort things out real fast :)
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:43:41 PM EDT
LOL, yeah right!! If I did and you did call him, he would probably say something along the lines of, "First off, I don't even know you. Besides, you don't know more about my rifle than me!!" Then hang up, go into his room, crawl up in a fetal posistion, and cry forever because he realizes that he is wrong.
Top Top