Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2009 7:49:02 AM EDT
At least it's not a terrible problem, but still one that has me a bit disappointed. I was loading up some .45acp and had a spent primer some how jam up the whole press, I tired to raise the ram back up a bit and try and just re-press in station 1, after removing stating 3 with the newly charged case to prevent double charge of course, and it would not budge. I applied a MINIMAL amount of pressure to try and unjam and SNAP! Down slammed the ram and out fell a chunk of metal. Tore my guide spring for the cases all to shit too. I quickly found out it was one of the detents used to cycle the cam on the bottom, at least that's what I think it was called. Basically it's a small metal pin that catches the cam on the bottom and makes the press cycle the stations. I doubt it will  be under warranty but once I get off work I will give Hornady a call. hopefully I can purchase a few spare guide springs while I have them on the phone too. Could have been worse I suppose, here is the damage

Detent

After it took an act of congress to get the broken one out

And yes, I need to dust but at least no toes or blue couch in the pic
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah a friend of mine came over and recently broke mine as well.  I was the same part.  Call Hornady, they will send you a couple for free.  Golden rule in the manual...never force anything on the press.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#2]
The part that broke is called the Pawl. Did you recover the small spring that goes with it?
Once you replace it, you'll have to re-adjust one or both of the pawls to time the indexing correctly.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Hornady will probably stand behind everything that broke. They have a lifetime warranty on the LNL Press. I'd give them a call. I, too, had an indexing problem with the pawl and had to re-time the up-stroke. The shell plate would not center the casing on the primer load station so it could properly receive the primer.

Give 'em a shout at the customer service number. They are good people.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The part that broke is called the Pawl. Did you recover the small spring that goes with it?
Once you replace it, you'll have to re-adjust one or both of the pawls to time the indexing correctly.

The springs never came out, they are still in that chamber. Hope it's not to tedious to adjust the index but should be a learning experience none the less.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Just go very slow and don't force ANYTHING.
It will probably be best if you screw the pawl down to what the other pawl is, that way it will at least hit on the ramp of the pawl, then back it out slowly trying it.
'Borg
ETA You might also check and clean around the primer punch and slide to make sure powder hasn't built up,
that's probably what caused the lock-up.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#6]
One thing I read in a blog about the LNL AP is that you must tighten everything down periodically.  I have found this to be true.  I recently had a problem with the primer feed.  The guide rod that allows the primer feeder to slide back and forth was not tightened down and the rod
attaches to a plastic guide that is attatches to the press with a hex screw.  Because the plastic guide was off by a 1/4" or so the primer feed was not picking up the primers.  It took me a good half hour to trouble shoot the problem because there was no appearance of play in the plastic guide.  Moral of the story is tighten everything down regularly.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#7]
One big tip is to use small and I mean small, as in 1/16 turn adjustments when setting the pawls. Take your time and if you get frustrated stop for a while. Once timed right the press will operate smooth as long as you keep it fairly clean and don't force anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top