Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2008 3:32:28 PM EDT
I have for a long time wanted a nice side by side double barrel shotgun. I think it is time to actually get one. I have pretty much settled on a CZ after looking around their website. I would probably mostly use it to bust clays, take hunting and as an inside the home defense gun.  I like the Durango, which is basically a coach gun with short 20in. barrels. The other model that interests me is the Ringneck which can be had with either 26 or 28 in. barrels. Both have chrome lined chambers and bores, plus are threaded for choke tubes. For the intended purpose I think the longer barreled gun would serve me best, but the shorty keeps calling my name too. It definitey would be more maneuverable. What to do? Getting both is not an option right now. Anyone have any experience with the CZ shotguns? I don't ever remember seeing one in any local gunshops in my area.
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO, unless you plan on hunting quail over dogs, the 20" barrels will probably be useless.

check over on shotgunworld.com, they have a forum dedicated to the CZ shotguns. Everything I've heard on them has been positive.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I had one of the early ringnecks (12ga, 28" barrels, single trigger, prince of wales grip).
That one actually broke after about 5000 rounds and I sent it back and they sent me another one.  
That one started to double (both barrels at once, pretty fucking exciting) after about a 1000 rounds, it's back at CZ now.

having said that, it's a hell of a value in a SxS.  For under a $1000 you can't touch it in anything else.
I'd still buy another one.

I have a Beretta SilverHawk 471 now that I use a lot, because well, SxS's rock.  But it's a much more expensive gun (and you can tell)

The shorty guns are only for cowboy shooting, get the longer gun.  And BTW, the shorty ones aren't made anymore (2008), they fell out of the catalog.  My buddy tried to order one for HD (don't ask, i've tried for 3 years to convince him to get a pump) and that's what they said.

Get one with an English grip (straight stock), I've had both and once you get used to it, the english grip is the way to go.  
Enjoy
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Scour the used gun racks and see if you can find an Ithaca/SKB Model 100/200/280 SxS, or a Browning BSS.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I had the same lusting - managed to find a Spanish made gun - 12 gauge Magnum with real sidelock actions for $435.  So I would agree to hunt around and take the time to research about them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I had one of the early ringnecks (12ga, 28" barrels, single trigger, prince of wales grip).
That one actually broke after about 5000 rounds and I sent it back and they sent me another one.  
That one started to double (both barrels at once, pretty fucking exciting) after about a 1000 rounds, it's back at CZ now.

having said that, it's a hell of a value in a SxS.  For under a $1000 you can't touch it in anything else.
I'd still buy another one.

What happened to your first gun causing it to break? How do you rate the fit and finish on these guns? I haven't had the chance to get my hands on one to look over. Perhaps the newer models are better than the early one you had?
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#6]
The solder on the barrels came apart/got loose, something.
Causing the barrels to come apart.  I asked a gunsmith and they said it's a pretty huge job, which I gather is true because CZ took it back and just sent me another one (different serial number, whole bit).

Until then (5000+ rounds, I used to shoot a LOT (back before ammo got totally outrageous) in under a year on just that gun)

The 2nd one failing bums me out, I hoped they had fixed it.  I think this is fixable, it just both sears fall with one trigger pull, I'm sure that's not a huge deal.

I think they are pretty well put together.  They are a little heavy for a SxS, but the wood fit is very good and they mount very nicely.  MUCH better than teh russian clubs.  I wouldn't buy a russian club (shotgun) with your money.  a used Browning SxS (BSS) is a nice value right in that same $1000 range.  SxS's aren't cheap, not much you can do about it.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#7]
What about Stoager?
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What about Stoager?

I have a stoeger Uplander in 20 gauge. Mine has been a good shotgun. My uncle bought one in 12 gauge, and he hasn't had any problems either. That being said, the CZ appears to me to be a higher quality firearm.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What about Stoager?

nice club
[spit]

Look, I freely admit I'm a gun snob.
But SxS's are lithe beautiful instruments and the russian guns are none of those things.
It misses the whole point of a SxS.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 11:43:36 AM EDT
[#10]
OR, they can be the perfect beater gun.

It simply depends on the end usage.
My "club" works just fine...
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm such a snob, I wouldn't put a russian gun in YOUR truck.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Yeah, I don't feel so bad hacking and grinding on a $200 scattergun...

Wait 'til you see what the bandsaw and a Form 1 will do to it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#13]
If my budget allowed it, I would steer clear of the CZ (made in Turkey by Huglu), even though I have a DeHaan made in the same factory (but given some extra QC and a "tune-up" by DeHaan in the US).  It looks nice enough, but durability is definitely suspect and it swings like a 'possum on a rake.  It just doesn't have that nice "lively" feel of a good Spanish or Italian gun.

I think the best value in a decent quality, affordable SxS right now is the Ugartechea from Spain.  Check them out here: http://ugartechea.com/ugarUC1.htm

Buying a SxS is one of those deals where you can spend a good amount of money and get a gun that you won't quite be really happy with (or that has any resale value) or you can spend some more and get a gun you'll be proud to own and love to shoot.

Good shooting,
desmobob
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got a Smith 311 in 16 that I love.

While I love my Beretta auto, there's just something about being afield with a double.

Makes me yearn for a tweed jacket and a pipe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top