Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2009 5:31:11 PM EDT
Selling all my 5.56 ARs and building two more AR10s and buying two more Sig Classics or 556s.

Why would I do that?

I've been disassembling my new 556 and getting to know it.

I'm a long way from knowing it's weak points, but this gun feels very familiar to me.

I plan to buy at least two more Sigs if range trials support my initial assessment.  

I am fortunate.  

I could buy them outright, but there is more at issue here, at least for me.  

If the Masada was obtainable, I would be very interested owning one or four.  

Currently, it is vaporware and the Obama/Biden clock is ticking.

I've built many ARs and FALs and have owned upwards of 20+ AKs, including my 1st, a Clayco Type 56 back in 1983.  

I've owned Colts, Bushys, DPMS, Armalite and RRA ARs. I have a real problem with DI, but not so much in the .308 realm.  Fewer rounds and better accuracy is suitable for my present needs.  

I grew up on the AR while spending 20 years in the USMC and shot it competitively.

I've put more rounds through it as a civilian than on active duty, so I have an intimate understanding of this weapon.

While I've never actually liked the AR or the AK, I appreciated both for what they were designed to do.  They fulfilled their designers requirements and I respect that.  They are durable, rugged rifles.

In the DI vs piston gun argument, they both have strengths and have weaknesses.  

The Sig may be the common ground I've been looking for.

I don't know if my assessment is correct, but the Sig is a promising development.

Jim

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#1]
You are now one of us.

Muaahhhahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa!

Mighty fine rifles they are. I'd say the only drawback I've read about and noticed so far is parts availability. That's where ARs are hard to beat.

Boarslayer
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Getting around the crappy sights and furniture that they come with is the only part that bothers me.  Otherwise, I LOVE my 556, and constantly marvel at the PERFECT melding of AK and AR into a system that carries none of the weaknesses of either.

My tax return should allow me to put optics on her, and at that point I'm going to start looking really hard at a carbine class.  

I have found my platform.  Having owned an AR and an AK, and having sold them both to get my 556, I am a happy gunner.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Mighty fine rifles they are. I'd say the only drawback I've read about and noticed so far is parts availability. That's where ARs are hard to beat.

Boarslayer

+1000.

Wonder what the longevity is on those rubber bolt covers? When I first bought my 556, the cover's had torn right off while drawing the bolt to the rear, leaving a gapping hole in the receivers opening. SIG said that someone didn't install them correctly, but this got me wondering. Since parts can't be obtained, and since the covers have to be removed should the rifle be refinished (According to SIG, they will melt before 300 degrees. GUNKOTE bakes at 325) what then? Perhaps SIG should have used button head HEX screws rather than rivets? This is one area of the SIG55X series that just rubs me the wrong way, that, and the fact that SIG won't sell spare parts.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Your not alone, I  am  contemplating  the  same  thing.

Selling several of my  AR's  and making the SIG 556 my  go to rifle.

I've been a AR15  devotee for 16yrs but have been very impressed with my SIG 556's  

I  like the gas piston set-up  &  the  ease that one can field strip & reassemble the gun

I  like  that  it can reliably shoot a wider variety  of ammo , steel cased eastern euro stuff

I  actually  prefer  the  models that take the AR stocks,  provides more options IMHO
 (don't get all the hubbub over the classic)

I  guess a broken operating rod is the only potential weak spot but I don't see that as a major risk with the civilian semi-auto version.

After  years  of  AR's  I  feel like I'm cheating on my wife with the 556s  , LOL

I'm even considering selling on of my FAL's  (too expensive to shoot these days)
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 2:14:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Hello Group, My name is Bad Luther, and I'm a Sigaholic:
I started out small with Sig handguns, P226 and moved onto the P220. Took several armorers classes at the Sig Academy including the 556 class. Never shot a 556 (though I have shot an AK alot) but decided to get a 556 in the old style (preclassic). Just waiting on for it in the mail. I too like the AR platform, but after taking a 556 apart, I appreciate the swiss engineering. SO add me to the list of recent converts.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 4:31:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I  like  that  it can reliably shoot a wider variety  of ammo , steel cased eastern euro stuff

I'm even considering selling on of my FAL's  (too expensive to shoot these days)

One of my co-workers shoots nothing but Wolf in his Sig 556 by intent, even though he can afford better ammo.  He's at approx a 5000 round count.

I sold off my last FAL, mags and all FAL tools a few weeks ago.

It wasn't a financially driven decision.  I just decided to cull the herd and run with the AR-10 platform.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top