Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 11/20/2010 12:20:06 PM EDT
I think the Apa bipod is going to be best for me. Who has them in stock? does armalite stock these or just list them? Anyone cheaper?

l have read thread after thread of bipod reviews. mostly older threads.  I want a bipod, that will of course be strong enough. ( i know, m-60, prince etc), but I also want cantable, adjustable.  I have checked and checked.  How about the heavy duty GG&G? what about the other bipod that Armalite sells for the AR-50? does it extend? any good ideas?  I would also like to know if any of you actually have and use a carry handle.

I just bought my used left handed AR-50 moments ago, online.  So, I dont have any experience with it.   Also is the pelican 1750 the case to get?  Thanks for all your  help.

Link Posted: 11/20/2010 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
l have read thread after thread of bipod reviews. mostly older threads.  I want a bipod, that will of course be strong enough. ( i know, m-60, prince etc), but I also want cantable, adjustable.  I have checked and checked.  How about the heavy duty GG&G? what about the other bipod that Armalite sells for the AR-50? does it extend? any good ideas?  I would also like to know if any of you actually have and use a carry handle.

I just bought my used left handed AR-50 moments ago, online.  So, I dont have any experience with it.   Also is the pelican 1750 the case to get?  Thanks for all your  help.

The APA bipod is the best out there right now.

The GG&G is a GREAT bipod (I have one on another 50) but it is too narrow of a footprint for the AR-50.,.
Will it work? YES. -but it isn't what you want.
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I really like my APA and won't go back to the prince after having it.  They are not adjustable in their stock form but there is another company out there that makes adjustable legs for it.  You take off the feet of the APA and and install them on the new legs.  The new leg slips over the APA leg and uses the original bolt hole for the foot for a pin.  The legs can then be adjusted.  I forget the company's name but I was thinking they were about $50.  

Or you could just make something like that on your own and improve upon it like I am.
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I did a thread back in feb. And it went to archive though. You can only see the first post but you see my measurements. They do make adjustable legs for the bipod but its extra. I dont have them yet but it would be nice.
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=3&t=305762

And a carry handle is next for me. That bitch is heavy.
http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EX3204&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=600225d3-2ad4-483a-819b-8e304e873dd6
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have never used an APA, but you cannot say it is the best out there when you have not tried a Long Range Accuracy bipod!!!  I have one of these and it is by far the best that I have ever tried or seen!!!  Just my opinion also!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2010 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have never used an APA, but you cannot say it is the best out there when you have not tried a Long Range Accuracy bipod!!!  I have one of these and it is by far the best that I have ever tried or seen!!!  Just my opinion also!!

So how much is it. Searched but didnt see it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2010 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#6]
$450.00 but well worth the money!!

Its lraccuracy.com
Link Posted: 11/23/2010 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#7]
i bought the apa today, with leg extensions. so, i hope its good.
Link Posted: 11/23/2010 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i bought the apa today, with leg extensions. so, i hope its good.

I would havd got those extensions if i had known it didn't adjust. That way i try and make that very clear to people. You'll be happy with it. Now just find someone to carry it all for ya.
Link Posted: 11/23/2010 11:39:56 AM EDT
[#9]
i humped alot of crew served weapons in the Corps. But, Im not too worried, I can shoot out to 300 yards from the house, and accross the driveway to 600yards. about a mile up the road i can shoot past 1200 yards (i only ever shoot to 1000 with the .308) I shouldnt have to carry it much.
Link Posted: 11/23/2010 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#10]
lucky asshole
Link Posted: 11/23/2010 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
lucky asshole

x2

there's approximately 1 place in the state where I can shoot out to 1000 :(

(fortunately it's within a 45 minute drive )
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 5:35:42 AM EDT
[#12]
i could shoot to 1000 from my house. i mean the front door. but, at about 300 yards I woud be shooting over a road, Thats a no no. We have 6 houses on out 3 mile stretch of road. So, I know when anyone is coming, because you can see down the road 2 miles from my house. but, i wont do it. it is a pity living in the country in Colorado.
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 6:09:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Its lraccuracy.com

That is absolutely retarded to pay for any bipod

Link Posted: 11/24/2010 6:18:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Its lraccuracy.com

That is absolutely retarded to pay for any bipod

+1
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 8:44:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, I know its a high price, but you are getting what you pay for.  If you want solid, total adjustability and great service it is worth it.  I have owned alot of bipods and I needed one on my .50 that was superior to other and this one is it. Yes, again it is alot of money, but you have put alot of money into your rifle and optics, why not get the best bipod?  Ask me some questions on comparison to others and I will tell you why its better? I see the APA is not adjustable and you have to put more cash down to get some different kind of extended legs?  I am not saying that the APA is not solid, nor is it not a good bipod, I am just saying anything and everything you ever wanted in a bipod is right on with the Long Range Accuracy setup. Just stating my opinion with hands on experience with the LRA bipod.
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#16]
I just cant see why it's that much. Ya it has a lot of thought put into it but it's not titanum is it? Everyone seems to jack the price to 2 or 3 times when the word 50 bmg is said in the sales pitch. Hell i dont think the AI bipods are that much and all there shit is really overpriced. I had a hard time buying the apa and didnt know it was not adjustable at the time. Again i think there price is more than it should be.
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#17]
the apa with bipod and adjustable leg kit it $340. that is ridiculous. they are all ridiculous price for what you get. i could go to the steel supplier and buy a lot of steel and weld up  crude bipods all day long for 1/10 the cost. BUT, what we pay for is their machining, trial and error, fit and finish. not the components.  i think the long range accuracy is nice bipod. i looked at a ton of websites and reviews, of all the bipods. the apa had most feedback. the LRA could be better, but has less feedback at this point.

but i bought the APA.
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I know people that have bought the State Arms bipod for about $250.00 and had an adapter made to put it on an AR50, They are very heavy duty and adjustable.

Ed
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I know people that have bought the State Arms bipod for about $250.00 and had an adapter made to put it on an AR50, They are very heavy duty and adjustable.

Ed

Thats a good idea.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2010 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Sako's bipod for their RG rifles is $500 and one of those isn't as nice as the LRA unit. Nice parts cost money and a good bipod is a critical piece of equipment for a .50bmg.
Clint
Link Posted: 12/9/2010 3:35:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Sako's bipod for their RG rifles is $500 and one of those isn't as nice as the LRA unit. Nice parts cost money and a good bipod is a critical piece of equipment for a .50bmg.

Clint

I'm doing ok with my $50 Harris bipod

Link Posted: 12/9/2010 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Clint

For $50 it must be a knock-off Harris.  Not a slam, if it works for you.
Link Posted: 12/10/2010 3:59:37 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Clint

For $50 it must be a knock-off Harris.  Not a slam, if it works for you.

Actually I was just assuming that's what they cost. The LAR's come from the factory with a Harris bipod. I've had the rifle at last 10 years now.

Link Posted: 12/10/2010 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Excellent!  I remember picking up my 1st and only Harris back in 99, I believe it was around $90 then.  There is a Chinese knock off, not a bad setup but not a Harris either.  They WERE being sold at Walmart and Gander Mts, I think $50 was the going rate on the smaller ones.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 8:56:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm sure you guys who just bought the APA Bipods will be very pleased with them.  They are BAR-NONE the best made 50 BMG available.  I have one for my 338 Lapua and it works AWESOME.  Little heavy for hunting but VERY STABLE for any non-hunting uses.

Mine's the adjustable leg version.

-David
Edgewood, NM
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top