Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2015 12:00:51 PM EST
What are you hog hunters running?
Any cheaper but good alternatives to the Mil grade lights?
It would be used for tooling around in the desert
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:21:24 PM EST
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:25:07 PM EST
[#2]
Larson Electronics, buy Mil-Spec once and cry once.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:35:06 PM EST
[#3]
That is super cool !
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:38:38 PM EST
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Sky Pup,

In proportion to your use of the UTV, how often do you use:
Any light?
White light?
Red light?
IR light?

Thanks,

Love the photo through the NVD!

JPK

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:03:42 PM EST
[#5]
Normally when hunting at night, I have my FLIR M-324 Thermal Pan/Tilt on all the time mobile or still, when mobile I turn on the Larson RED LED to be able to see where I am going without crashing into something since primary navigation with any thermal device is extremeley hazardous and dangerous.

When I take my NV helmets and gear, I turn on the Larson 850nm IR light beam to go into places I am not very familiar with or have lots of forest debris on the ground so I can see what I am doing without crashing into anything. Also can see coyote eyes a long long ways out.

Basically, the FLIR Pan/Tilt is on all the time and I either use Red LED for mobile navigation or 850 IR beam for mobile and/or still if I am using NV.

Pretty much never use any white lights while hunting, but easy to turn them on anytime if you are not hunting.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:14:44 PM EST
[#6]
Quoted:
Normally when hunting at night, I have my FLIR M-324 Thermal Pan/Tilt on all the time mobile or still, when mobile I turn on the Larson RED LED to be able to see where I am going without crashing into something since primary navigation with any thermal device is extremeley hazardous and dangerous.

When I take my NV helmets and gear, I turn on the Larson 850nm IR light beam to go into places I am not very familiar with or have lots of forest debris on the ground so I can see what I am doing without crashing into anything. Also can see coyote eyes a long long ways out.

Basically, the FLIR Pan/Tilt is on all the time and I either use Red LED for mobile navigation or 850 IR beam for mobile and/or still if I am using NV.

Pretty much never use any white lights while hunting, but easy to turn them on anytime if you are not hunting.

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/Pioneer%20700/NV%20Pics/Cattle%20Pasture%20Road%20850nmB.jpg

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/Pioneer%20700/Hondini.JPG
View Quote

Im literally wet with envy right now. What muffler are you running to keep it quiet?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:40:56 PM EST
[#7]
A Yoshimira stuffed with steel wool.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:59:45 PM EST
[#8]
Quoted:
What are you hog hunters running?
Any cheaper but good alternatives to the Mil grade lights?
It would be used for tooling around in the desert
View Quote

In the beginning, maybe 2003, I ran a dual IR flashlights on my Polaris Ranger, and they worked well.

Then a few years later, I found some MILSPEC IR lights:

Then a few years ago, the market finally responded with a true LED Off-Road IR Light (yes I have removed the sticker):

These are awesome, so I put them on all my 4x4s (yes I can drive 70mph down highway with these):

And before you ask about Thermal, been there, done that too (Polaris):

(Gator):

(Hummer):

Of course, no hog hunting excursion is complete without Drone Reconnaissance:

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:54:52 PM EST
[#9]
what FLIR unit is that on the ATV?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:01:21 PM EST
[#10]
Quoted:
what FLIR unit is that on the ATV?
View Quote

PathfindIR

They now have version 2

http://www.flir.com/cores/content/?id=62945
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:37:02 PM EST
[#11]
The new FLIR PathFindIR2 is totally awesome!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:26:30 AM EST
[#12]
Very cool, thanks for the replies!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:55:07 AM EST
[#13]
When installing and using these powerful IR light emitters, also be SURE to also install a visible light switch to indicate that the IR light is ON, so that you will know at all times during the day and night when the IR light is on as it is very dangerous and will destroy a human beings vision completely, making them blind.

Once anyones vision is destroyed, there is no way to get it back.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:00:05 AM EST
[#14]
Quoted:
When installing and using these powerful IR light emitters, also be SURE to also install a visible light switch to indicate that the IR light is ON, so that you will know at all times during the day and night when the IR light is on as it is very dangerous and will destroy a human beings vision completely, making them blind.

Once anyones vision is destroyed, there is no way to get it back.
View Quote

Yep, this is why I ran caps on the flashlights.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:43:24 AM EST
[#15]
Nice set ups I am jelly.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:00:42 AM EST
[#16]
I've actually had pretty good results with these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M3O5ERK ... Not exactly built for ATV use but I've had no issues with them on my SxS
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.