Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2016 9:51:32 PM EDT
Don't know if this is the best place as most stuff is attached to rifle/head/vehicle but.

At work we have some NV cameras that the NV capability is based up IR illumination.  What is the best source that has decent prices with quality products for IR lights?

At one of our other facilities they got some fixtures that look like a standard Wallpack fixture that puts out decent amount of IR light. IIRC they paid ~$2,000+ for the fixture. Is this normal price?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#1]
All kinds of them on Ebay and Amazon....................
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#2]

+1... Many cheap LED arrays for IR at just about any power. Fairly cheap too. Typically from about $30 to $100.

Regards

David
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Good to know.

Would something like this (Link) really illuminate 300'?

Seems like on Amazone 500' is the farthest I have found.  I assume then it would be more advantageous to put multiple lamps out to cover the distance/area required?

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:08:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good to know.

Would something like this (Link) really illuminate 300'?

Seems like on Amazone 500' is the farthest I have found.  I assume then it would be more advantageous to put multiple lamps out to cover the distance/area required?

View Quote

The feet measurements are nominal and pretty much worthless for real calculations.

If you're talking about intensified NV equipment, 1000 feet isn't unreasonable for that array. Actually, 10,000 feet would seem reasonable for intensified cameras. And if you're talking about CMOS cameras, that range could vary from 100 feet to 500 feet depending on the camera. What you really want to know is lumens output or at least watts - And then you could make some reasonable calculations around illumination levels.

But generally, the claims aren't too far outside of realistic with that many LEDs. They are probably a little optimistic though.

Regards

David
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#5]
It depends on two factors:

1 - how covert your lighting needs to be

and

2 - how sensitive your imager is.

You shouldn't have to spend a great deal, but understand these things put off a lot of heat. Heat kills componentry. Illuminators that don't address heat issues won't last as long. Also, buying no-name stuff isn't much less safer than buying the same crap from burle, pelco or diebold.  

It really comes down to maintenance hassles. How many times you want to climb a ladder to replace a failing unit? I'd personally buy cheap, and take care to position them less like a searchlight, and more for a shadow eraser.

In other words, instead of one monster spot illuminator, I'd look at the surveilled area, and see if there's a couple of places some smaller floods could be positioned to give a better effect. If it is your goal, have someone walk the area before you commit, too. You may wash out details with too much IR, especially in the dusk and dawn hours.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Good to know.

Looks like we need it to throw about 600' probably 180*

From all I could research it looks like RayMax 100 Platinum will work (~950.00).  

Link

Any idea on how durable these things are?  We try to by once cry once if possible.

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I have no direct knowledge of that product.

I also don't know raymax, but my industry knowledge is a little dated.

Looking at the advertising, it appears well built, with some heat sinking on the rear.

At that price point, I'd really want to know more about service after the sale, and what their warranties really do cover, and how much they'll honor them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Good point.  I will have to look into it to find out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top