Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2002 6:00:24 AM EDT
I was perusing Botach's web site and saw their Galil stuff. Anyone familiar with this setup able to enlighten me about the details? (availability, reliability, price, all that stuff)

http://www.botachtactical.com/botach/ad.html

It says LEO/MIL only, but is there a ordinary chitizen (or, we don't get chit) version?

TIA!
--LS
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 6:11:06 AM EDT
[#1]
It is a great rigle based on the AK design.  you can get the in 7.62 and 5.56.  However since most of them are pre ban, plan on spending $3000 +.  I would love to get one
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Does anyone make barrels and accessories for AK's that could mimic this setup in 7.62?

It is sweet.

-LS
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#3]
7.62x39 versions can be made.  You need a milled AK receiver and AK barrel.  The rest of the parts are Galil.  Here is one that was made by Krebs, it has a wood stock though.

http://www.krebscustom.com/CustomRifleSuggestions.html
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It says LEO/MIL only, but is there a ordinary chitizen (or, we don't get chit) version?

--LS

Pre-ban versions of the Galil in both .308 and .223 in AR and ARM variants are around, not plentiful but certainly not "hen's teeth" rare. Prices I've seen lately are in the 2k range, depending on condition and accessories included.  There are also a few post ban Galil "Sporters" that have made it over. I've also seen bare receivers and kits for sale from time to time.  I like the .223 version myself, with a AR mag adapter you don't need to spend money on expensive Galil mags, just use your AR mags.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Of course the original "AK" came from Russia.
Then Finland made their very fine AK version - the Valmet.

Israel imported unmarked Valmet receivers early on and made their first AK rifles.

From the Valmet receivers evolved the "Galil."

The Galil in the minds of many is the KING of the AK type weapons.

Careful shopping can get you a pre-ban Galil for $1800 - $2000.  That's about a 90% rifle.

There is a 'sleeper' Galil called the Hadar II.  This rifle has a thumb-hole stock but is a pre-ban rifle.  Very fine rifle with a modestly better gas system than the Galil AR or ARM.
The Hadar II can be bought for $800 - $1000.

(For whatever reason no country has been able to make an accurate sniper version of the AK.  Israel tried but they too failed and switched to the Stoner SR-25 for their semi-auto sniper and to the Mauser 66 and 86 for their bolt-gun sniper rifles.)
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#6]
If you ask me, Sig-551 is the King of the AK's. Way better that Valmet or Galil....I know its not really considered an AK by many, but the bolt, gas system, received and trigger group are all classic Kalashnikov..only 100X better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top