Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/7/2007 5:42:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2007 5:44:43 PM EST by Wubbman]
So I went to the Louisville National Gun Day today (skipped church ) and met up with a few friends. We are looking around and having a great time making fun of the posers with fake crap ('Original' 400k SA M1 w/ -12 bolt and stamped trigger guard, etc) and we come upon a table with one M1 on and it and several other foreign military rifles. My buddy William (a huge M1 nut) glances at it and walks on. I take another look at it and see its an IHC. I think 'hmm' thats nice. I pick it up and look at the barrel; lo and behold its an LMR with punch mark and with a date that roughly corresponds to the rifle's serial number. I look at the bolt and see its an IHC D- variation. Hmmm....

I ask the guy if I can take it apart. He's nice as could be and says sure. I take out the trigger group and discover that its 100% IHC. Hmm.....

The guy is saying that he shot it recently and that it shoots fine and that he got it for $325 a logn time ago.

I look at the stock and see an OR 1612 stamp as well as the remnants of a DoD eagle and P stamp. I look at the oprod and see thats its an IHC D- variation. Hmmm!!

I look at the sights and see a DRC IHC windage knob and a IHC Weatherhead (W in hexagon) elevation knob. I look at the gas cylinder and see an 'F' stamp. I also notice an IHC NHC gas plug, SA front sight, and WWII gas lock. Hmmm!!!!!

I take a look at the buttplate and see that it has parkerizing on it but almost no checkering. I have William and another buddy, Bryan, to take a look and it and thinks its great. I'm getting extremely excited and short of breath. The guy has it priced for $900. I don't have $900, so I ask if he'll take $600. He says no, but he'll take $700. I give him $200 to take it off the table and literally run to the ATM to draw the last $500 I have to spend until pay day. I make it back and put the money down and walk away with the rifle.

We later got together to check it out and were astounded by it. I'm pretty sure its a mostly original IHC from mid-1953. It does have some pitting under the stock, as the guy said it sat in his attic for about 25 years. I spent the rest of the show spending the little cash I had left or using the extra parts I brought along to barter for a high hump gas lock and IHC front sight. I was also able to take it to a dealer with a TE guage: 2.5 TE and 2.5 MW!!

I cannot say how pleased I am to find this. Talk about a gun show score! Enjoy the pics.

The overall shot of the rifle.

The serial number. Born around mid-1953 I think.

The barrel nomenclature.

The windage knob.

The elevation knob.

The receiver and bolt top shot.

Some oxidation of the oprod.

The trigger housing.

The side view of the trigger housing w/ the safety.

The hammer.

The oprod.

The internals.

Any idea why the heel is anealed?

The worst pitting.

More pitting.

And more pitting.

Final pic of pitting.

The gas cylinder. Why is it so splotchy?

'F' marked baby.

IHC NHC gas plug. It also has an SA front sight (that I couldn't get off!) and a high hump gas lock I put on (came w/ WWII gas lock).

A pretty stock.

Another long shot of the stock. You can see the remnants of a DoD cartouche.

A close up of whats left of the DoD stamp.

Whats left of the P stamp.

Made in 1952. YAY YAY!!

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:44:39 AM EST
Still a very nice rifle at an excellent price!

Excellent score!

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:47:15 AM EST
Very nice "tractor" gun.
I have an IHC barreled receiver I am looking for parts for.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:51:37 AM EST
I think I hate you!

Thats just what I need to round out my M1 collection, great score!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:51:36 PM EST
It's had a repark at least once before. Not a bad price. I wouldn't worry too much about the annealing. Shoot it and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:09:36 PM EST
Yeah, it has definately been reparked. I took the gas cylinder off last night and discovered the chromed area around the gas port has been finished over, with only a little bit of chrome visible around the gas port itself. Also, does anybody have any idea who made the gas cylinder? Duff's book mentions very little about letter coded gas cylinders.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:38:59 PM EST
Looks like a restoration based on a Korean refinished barreled recvr.

$700 isn't that bad of a deal these days for any type of IHC Garand, I probably would of passed on it ......but I have 4-5 IHC's already.
Top Top