Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2002 4:24:36 AM EDT
Hey Guys, I noticed that IAI offers an FAL rifle. I have yet to see one in person, or for that matter anywhere except on the IAI webpage. Does anyone have any experience, good or bad with them? Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 6:43:03 AM EDT
[#1]
You can get the M-444 from Dan's:

www.falparts.com/firearms.asp

Consensus is that they are better than buying a Century gun, especially if you have a local FFL whoi doesn't rape you on transfers. The muzzle brake is very loud, and it requires that you use US floorplates and followers in your magazines for US compliance.

It does have the benefit of being a complete Imbel rifle, which is a licensee of FN for the FAL. All in all I'd say it's a good starter FAL.

Link Posted: 8/23/2002 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#2]
From reading posts on www.l1a1.com, some of these rifles work, some don't.  

Check out this review from Cruffler.comwww.cruffler.com/review-April-01.html

For what it's worth, buy a G1 kit from DSA with a new barrel for $219, and Imbel receiver for $250 and send it to Arizona Response Systems for build and refinish.

Or you could pay more and get a DSA.

Spambo
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]
i've got 2   M-444s
one with old style muzzle brake which does cheek slap
bought my second from dans with new style brake which is fine...only place I would go for one again
BOTH are near new inside and out and all IMBEL w/ gear logo receivers

i understand the cheek slap is easily corrected by eliminating the constriction in the brake at the last 1/8 " of the brake..a minor adjustment..i just havent done it yet

i did open the gas port (which is a 5 minute job) and this allowed both rifles (which ran fine as bought but on totally closed gas setting) to run at a lower gas setting  (~3.5 now)

i think they are a steal at ~$670 deliverd from Dan's

i have heard of some problems others have had (do a search at FALFILES.com) but for the most part i think most owners are pretty happy

if you saw these you would buy one at this price!
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Does IAI have a website?
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Consider that the DSA stg-58a is 795 + 15 shipping + FFL fee, not much more then that M-444. Plus, it obviously has more usa parts, in my opinion a better receiver, you don't need to worry about mags. I just got one and it looks brand spanking new. Functions flawlessly, fit and finish is excellent. I had also just gotten one of Dan's Grade I kits, and I couldn't say the same for it (the M-444 is supposedly built on this). So, for 810 shipping included, I think.. you would get a much better rifle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#7]
What makes you say that the DSA is a better receiver than the Gear Logo Imbel?  I don;t think I've ever heard a complaint about a GL.

Link Posted: 9/8/2002 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Hearing complaints about the imbel have nothing to do with an opinion of one being better then then the other. :)

First off the fact that it's a USA made receiver. Cuts down on the number of USA complaint parts you must add to the gun to make it legal. Second, it's available in all 3 types. Type I, II, or III. Third it's forged from 4140 steel. In all the reading I've done about DSA receivers, more people would buy them if it weren't for the fact that an Imbel is nearly half the price. But, when you buy their complete rifle you're not paying double for the receiver at that point.

Some other things I like about it, fit and finish is excellent. You can get it with or without carrying handle cuts. Without the cut the receiver is 'suppose' to be stronger. I believe that..  :) Last if you desire a stainless receiver you can get one from DSA.

I left something out..  The DSA receiver also has a lifetime warranty...  :)
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Bullet is right on the money about DSA receivers the only thing he forgot is that DSA has the original tooling and blue prints from Styer which was one of the earliest licensed manufactuers of FALs.

Consequently these receivers are as good as Imbel or better. I say better because they are a US part and have a lifetime warranty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top