Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 12:16:20 PM EDT
Was in my local NFA gun store the other day and was watching a lawyer pick up an MP-5 full-auto. We got to talking as I had my UMP SBR there when the topic came to lifting the 86 ban. The awyer floored me when he stated he would fight tooth and nail to keep the ban in place.

When I asked why he stated that his investment in full-auto stuff would be wiped out. He was very up front that this was about money and keeping the prices high. If the ban was lifted then his $15,000 MP-5 would again be reduced to $1500. He stated he had a few hundred thousand invested in full-auto weaponry that he does not want to see reduced in any way as far as price is concerned.

So this got me thinking- how much resistance would current full-auto NFA owners put up to a ban removal? If you had just scrimped and saved for a few years to purchase a nice full-auto would you want to see its value reduced by a factor of 10 or more?

This really kind of rocked me as most full-auto owners at least mouth the words they would like the ban repealed but now I wonder if that is just a facade.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, what a fucking prick. I don't own any F/A, but even if I had shelled out the cash I would love for the NFA laws to be torn down or at least rewritten for the sake of those who aren't penny pinching lawyers.

That's like saying "What? Hell no I don't want the Berlin wall to come down, I'm doing great charging people outrageous sums to go through this secret tunnel I built!"
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That's like saying "What? Hell no I don't want the Berlin wall to come down, I'm doing great charging people outrageous sums to go through this secret tunnel I built!"

Actually, that makes a lot of business sense.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:56:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So this got me thinking- how much resistance would current full-auto NFA owners put up to a ban removal?

Wouldn't matter. They would be .001% of the voice. The zillions of NON-FULL-AUTO owners wanting to buy an M16, MASADA, whatever for $1200 would drown out anything they have to say.

Of course, gun owners are more interested in buying semi-autos right now at inflated prices than electing pro-gun candidates that might repeal the MG ban.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]
hmmmm let me see....   I can go out and finally buy an M60 and many others that I have wanted for years but could not afford?  hmmmmmmmm uh, um no I dont think I would make much of a stink  

I have 3 MGs now and a lot of money invested.  Maybe not nearly as much as others but enough for my current financial situation.  But a green light for many more MGs with lower prices??????

uh yeah I am down with that....

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the difference is whether the full auto weapons were bought by someone intending to shoot them or someone who bought them only as a financial investment.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I find it to be a small segment of NFA owners.  Most of the ones I know just like to shoot, and any change in the law that means they can have more guns to shoot is viewed favorably.

Purely hypothetical though.  Ain't gonna happen.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:38:01 PM EDT
[#7]
We had this discussion back before heller was decided and probably more times before and since then.  The general answer was that we would welcome it.

Sure you've lost all the $$ value in your weapons, but you'd be able to Form 1 all your AR15's into MG's and buy M429's (etc) for pretty cheap!

I, for one, wouldn't mind that at all :)
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd glad give up a few thousand of my "investment" dollars to be able to buy cheap MGs
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I dont believe the price would change a ridiculous amount, I am sure they will still be pretty high as there would still be a demand as a TON of people would want them.  Well at least for the first few years I guess, after a while they would probably level off.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I did not "invest" in a full auto, I JUST WANNA ROCK AND FUCKIN ROLL!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#11]
My "investment" would depreciate by about 95% if the MG ban were lifted.

But hey, I bought it to shoot it. I didn't buy it to sell it later :)  I'm okay with losing value because I'd be able to make RR conversions for $250.  Oh, and a glock sear, yup, I'd make a few of those too - cheap at that price.  

While we are all dreaming, can we lift the import ban in 68?  I'd really like an MG-42 or MG-3 if it's not going to set me back $40k :)
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:40:08 AM EDT
[#12]

you'd see none from me. in fact, i won't be able to "afford" another MG unless the ban gets repealed or they do another amnesty (increasing supply).

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:44:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I dont believe the price would change a ridiculous amount, I am sure they will still be pretty high as there would still be a demand as a TON of people would want them.  Well at least for the first few years I guess, after a while they would probably level off.

I would bet you are wrong. Hell, bushmaster is selling auto sears for $40 or so. Papered ones are running, what, $10k or so?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#14]
It is not going to happen, but I would love to see the 1986 gun control act lifted.  I am not in this for the investment, I just like to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It is not going to happen, but I would love to see the 1986 gun control act lifted.  I am not in this for the investment, I just like to shoot.

I would love it too!

Hard to believe it's stood so long.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:24:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Well I agree we probably wont see a repeal of 1986 (nevermind 1968!).

I am also with the majority in that I buy to shoot not invest. I would love to see a repeal- I'd get a full-auto trigger pack for the UMP in a heartbeat.

It's just that his "I dont want my investment hurt" statement really threw me for a loop as I never thought of how a repeal of 86 would affect current F/A NFA values. And yes- he seemed like the arrogant prick type anyway!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#17]
If 922(o) were repealed, I'd lose approximately $60,000 in inflated transferrable value.

But.... I'd get to keep all my post-samples, and would embark on a furious flurry of new construction and registration.

I win either way, and would rather see 922(o) repealed, than hang onto the values of my transferrables.  I got into this hobby to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Keep in mind some MGs will retain value even if 922o is repealed because they are items that have historical value, are not in new production, or cannot be imported into the country.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I would offset my losses by selling off some ammo, b/c that shit would SKY ROCKET!
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:51:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Personally, absolutely none - I'd eat the loss on my only remaining MG (factory Colt M16-A1) .... screw it ....

I have a 1918A2 BAR display gun built on an 80% Philly Ordnance receiver and a Royal Typewriter parts kit - everytime I look at the damn thing, I want to run out and buy a mill (and learn how to use it) ......... dang .....

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:02:07 AM EDT
[#21]
wow... thats a nice display gun.  Whats one of those display guns go for?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:06:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
wow... thats a nice display gun.  Whats one of those display guns go for?

The receiver is about $500 and parts kits are going for $1,500 or so for a basic kit (not many small parts or complete assemblys/groups) and going up .... some parts kits are not as complete as others .....

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#23]
i would be happy to give up the value on all of my guns to have 3 more legal transferables.
BAR ak 74 and another m16 would be on the top of my list.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Personally, I'd be glad for my "investments" to be worth much less.  Hell, I don't intend to ever sell them anyway.  

As far as severe drops in worth, it depends on what it is.  Historic pieces will not go down much (original Thompsons, Colt M16s, BAR, Grease Guns, etc.)  It's the newer stuff, especially RR M16s that would take a serious dive.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#25]
This lawyer/nfa owner would have little issue with the country moving in the direction of following the Constitution.  What a change that would be!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top