Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2001 9:46:59 PM EDT
How can I tell if my DPMS lower is stainless, carbon, or aluminum?

It's parkerized, and a magnet won't stick to it?  Any help would be appreciated?
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Stainless, and aluminum are both non-magnetic...
Stainless is MUCH, MUCH heavier than aluminum...

If you had a stainless receiver, you wouldn't have any difficulty feeling the difference...

Chances are, it's forged aluminum...
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, it looks like there are casting lines running down the middle of the receiver.  How can I tell for sure?

I haven't handled AR's enough to know for sure what the weight difference would be.

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well, it looks like there are casting lines running down the middle of the receiver.  How can I tell for sure?

I haven't handled AR's enough to know for sure what the weight difference would be.

Thanks for your help.

ANY casting lines, means it's Aluminum...

Stainless is machined from a block of solid metal, leaving NO casting/forging marks...

Carbon Fiber looks just like plastic, but DPMS doesn't offer anything in Carbon Fiber...

99.99% of the AR's out there are Aluminum...
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for your help... I meant carbon steel, not fibre though.  Thanks anyway!
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#5]
i have one and at it would say this on it:
SN 9999S  the last S for stainless.  they are also much heavier than normal lowers.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top