Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/25/2004 12:30:08 PM EST
I received my recently purchased FAL yesterday. Upon first glance the bore looked full of crud though with strong lands and grooves. After several cleanings and many swipes with a new bore brush, solvent, and patches the bore still looks ruff though less gunked up. I have not seen much pitting in my time, even in all of the C&R rifles that I have purchased since I got my license. This though looks to me like small little dark specks all the way from muzzle to chamber with a sort of unevenness on the surface in both the lands and grooves. Could remaining fouling stuck to the barrel cause the bore to look like this? Patches are coming through pretty clean. Also, it seems like my patches are leaving a lot of lint in the barrel. Is this a sign of pitting and if so what should I do? The bore was described as very good to excellent Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:51:09 AM EST
A very good to excellent barrel should be smooth and shiney all the way through, with sharp rifiling.

Its dosent sound like thats what you have. Have you shot it yet?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:03:21 PM EST
That bore sounds pitted as hell. Maybe try a stainless brush or shoot a few rounds thru it, that will sometimes clean it out somewhat. I would ask for a refund if it does not clean up or at least a refund for the price of rebarreling.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:13:57 PM EST
I agree with Tubby. That bore sounds bad.

The bore should be bright and shiny with sharp edges on the rifling.

I would send it back that is not a good to excellent bore.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:25:01 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:26:31 PM EST
I actually spoke to the vendor and was told that it is likely settled parkerization since the barrel was recently reparked. Though after 60 rounds and a cleaning until my brush was worn out the specks are still there through the bore is more shiney. I can though with a bright light see that at the muzzle there are indeed little pits. It shoots well now, but in how many rounds will it not? So, it is going back. Very good to excellent does not mean pitted.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:12:11 PM EST
If he is claiming that it is park residue that should clean up easily with the brush. It sounds more like pitting. One way to check near the muzzle is to use a Q-tip. Lower it into the bore pressed against one side. Use a bright light against the white of the Q-tip and look at the metal opposite. That usually shows any pitting. Good Luck
Top Top