Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2010 3:46:06 PM EDT

how do you guys ship to an FFL?

i was wondering if it's cheaper to ship on your own or through an FFL.  i've only ever shipped from my FFL before.

thanks

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends.

Long gun or pistol?
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#2]
First find out if the destination FFL will accept a shipment from a non-licensee.  Many won't.

If so, then long guns can go USPS or by any common carrier;
handguns cannot go USPS, and most carriers require you to use some sort of express/air service

Since FFLs can ship handguns USPS to other licensees, they're probably the cheapest to use for a handgun shipment - USPS flat-rate priority, plus insurance, plus a fee to the FFL is probably cheaper than most express shipping for handguns.

I find the best deal for long guns to be UPS ground, as priority mail gets really expensive once you've moved beyond the flat rate stuff, and parcel post is really slow, and not much of a cost savings over UPS ground.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Depends.

Long gun or pistol?

handgun

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
First find out if the destination FFL will accept a shipment from a non-licensee.  Many won't.

If so, then long guns can go USPS or by any common carrier;
handguns cannot go USPS, and most carriers require you to use some sort of express/air service

Since FFLs can ship handguns USPS to other licensees, they're probably the cheapest to use for a handgun shipment - USPS flat-rate priority, plus insurance, plus a fee to the FFL is probably cheaper than most express shipping for handguns.

I find the best deal for long guns to be UPS ground, as priority mail gets really expensive once you've moved beyond the flat rate stuff, and parcel post is really slow, and not much of a cost savings over UPS ground.

the FFL i'm shipping to accepts shippments from a non FFL

if i remember correctly the last time i shipped from my FFL it cost about $30

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top