Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2001 8:01:39 PM EDT
hi All,

I've got a couple green follower rebuild kits, and after taking my old Colt 30's apart, I'm having problems getting the plastic part of the new follower back into the mag. I can get the back part in by twisting it 90 degrees...but the front ssems too fat... i thought about bending the 'ears a little and broke two ears off ONE mag already......ahhhh!!!

Any advice?

Thanks

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Hard to explain. Push the front of the follower in with a little twist, with a little wiggle the rear will slide in. I'f you broke the ears on your mag you are pushing WAY to hard. you shouldn't have to push that hard, work them around at an angle.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 5:57:23 AM EDT
[#2]
The one you broke can be repiared to work. It won't look like it did before but it can be done. I would use some sheet metal and some pop-rivets.

You do have to put the front of the follower in first and then the rear. Definitely don't break any more of the tabs.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 8:00:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 8:05:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess he missed that one. Oooops!!!
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Assuming the follower is assembled to the magazine spring, proceed as follows:

1)  Hold the magazine in your left hand, vertically with the bottom up, rear of the magazine toward you;

2)  Holding the follower above the opening at the bottom of the magazine, spring straight up;

3)  Rotate the follower approximately 60 degrees to the right pivoting the right front corner of the follower (as you are looking at it) in the right front corner of the magazine;

4)  Roll (tilt) the follower slightly to the right side and hook the right front corner of the follower (the rounded part) under the right front base plate retaining tab;

5)  Tilt the follower back to the vertical.  The left front corner of the follower should fit easily behind the first groove in the left side of the magazine;

6)  Again pivoting the follower's right front corner in the right front corner of the magazine, slide the left front (rounded) corner of the follower under the left front magazine retaining tab;

7)  With both front corners of the follower under the front magazine retaining tabs, tilt the follower and spring approximately 30 degrees to the right and hook the right edge of the follower under the right rear base plate retaining tab and tilt the follower and spring back to vertical.  The follower should drop into place.

This procedure should require only light pressure.  If significant resistance is encountered, stop, remove the follower and try again.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Some good advise already posted. I can't add anything specific, except to say that jiggling the follower every which way and watching carefully seemed to help me. You will get the hang of it. I always give the floorplate a shot of WD40, even if the mags are new.
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Dave_G, you and I think it's easy because we've done it so many times. Damn JOB's!!!

Link Posted: 11/17/2001 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#8]
THX!   Dave G.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top