Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2007 9:48:16 AM EDT
A while back I bought a $100 Enfield No4 rifle as a wall hanger. Now I'm looking for suggestions on methods of displaying it. I see "shadow box" type display cabinets of the right size in the $125+ range, but I'm resistant to paying more for the display cabinet than I did for the rifle. I'm wondering if anyone here can suggest alternative ways to show this gun off ? I'd prefer the gun to be completely enclosed, to prevent dust build up and so I can place some other accessories in with the rifle. Anybody got any creative solutions ?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#1]
What, 100 readers and no replies ? Come on guys, make an effort .
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:15:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, no ideas on enclosed display that are cheap.

I've used the little brass hangers that Cabelas sells before.  They work well and are a little dressier than using a wood rack.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:26:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Seems like you have three choices:
1.) bite the bullet and buy a box
2.) use hooks
3.) get a wood worker friend to make you one and finish it yourself (doubtful you could do this much cheaper than buying one)

BTW, you might want to consider removing the firing pin
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Seems like you have three choices:
1.) bite the bullet and buy a box
2.) use hooks
3.) get a wood worker friend to make you one and finish it yourself (doubtful you could do this much cheaper than buying one)

BTW, you might want to consider removing the firing pin

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I am leaning towards making a rack of some kind. I'll post pics when I get it done.

I will actually remove the whole bolt and keep it in my gunsafe, in case I ever get the urge to shoot the thing again.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:05:41 AM EDT
[#5]
A display gun with no bolt?

I'd leave the bolt in and stash a charger full of .303 ball close by. Ya never know... (break glass in case of emergency)
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I will actually remove the whole bolt and keep it in my gunsafe, in case I ever get the urge to shoot the thing again.

A gun owner should know how to disassemble a bolt. Putting the firing pin back in should be no great feat. Normal maintenance involves stripping the bolt . . .
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
A gun owner should know how to disassemble a bolt. Putting the firing pin back in should be no great feat. Normal maintenance involves stripping the bolt . . .

True, though I believe the Enfield requires a special tool for removing the striker, right ? In any case, I'm not a big surplus gun shooter (I like my black rifles too much) so this is really primarily a wall hanger. If I hang the gun with its left side showing, the lack of a bolt won't be obvious. If I ever do get the urge to shoot the gun again (probably when my father-in-law visits... he used one in the army), then just slapping the bolt into place will be the simplest solution.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are handy with tools, you could make one.  It wouldn’t take much work, and you could probably do it for a fraction of the price.  All you need is some nice wood, maybe oak or maple, something for the back like plywood or whatever wood you used for the sides, some pegs or hooks to hold the gun and a piece of Plexiglas.   You can make it as simple or fancy as you like.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#9]
If you end up making a box.I think making it look like ammo crate ,the ones with the rope handles would look cool.I not sure if there is any wood crates that shape available but it would be worth a look.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:32:45 AM EDT
[#10]
This is how I did it to put my working guns on the wall of my Montana ranch. fairly easy, bought a wooden dowel and drilled holes in some 1x4s, glued etc. It's been there for 8 years not far from my wood and propane stoves, no problems at all.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top