Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2006 9:48:53 AM EDT

I saw a thread on this somewhere, but I can't remember where

Basically, I want to fill in all the stampings, serial numbers, markings, etc with white..well, whatever people use to fill in those markings. Paint? Chalk? Wax? I don't know.

There was some pretty specific techniques to do it correctly without getting it all over the weapon or on the wood or anything, but I can't find the info

Anyone have any good techniques, or links to said techniques?

Link Posted: 8/15/2006 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#1]
A white crayon works fine.  Anyone with kids probably can snag one of those.  I swiped mine from the supplies they have in Children's Church.  Those little booger-eating heathens will never miss it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Gunsmiths and armorers use "Lacquer-Stik" from Brownell's:
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=7778&s=

This is actually paint in a stick form.

To use:
Use lacquer thinner and a brush to degrease the lettering, allow to dry.

Scrape the end of the stick to expose fresh material, and rub the stick into the lettering until it's filled level.

Allow to stand for a few minutes, then use a drop or two of thinner or a little mineral oil on a rag or paper towel to remove the excess.

Allow to dry for 30 minutes or so, then apply a coat of lube to prevent rust.

This stuff is very durable and is more or less permanent.
It can be easily removed with lacquer thinner and a brush.

There are other products that will work, including White-Out, crayons, model airplane paint, etc.

Be warned: Some products like White-Out can absorb moisture.  Remove the White-Out and you can find the lettering is rusted.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#3]
China markers work well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
China markers work well.

+1
www.memorableplaces.com/m1garand/whitelettering/whitelettering1.html

Ahh! That was the exact link I was looking for! I had seen it a while ago but neglected to bookmark it..

Everyone, thanks!!

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I used white crayon on my 1919. Worked good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top