Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2003 6:52:16 PM EDT
I'm looking for an online manual that shows how to clean the gas system on a Remington 742 woodmaster.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#1]
There is a screw at the front of the forearm.  Remove it.  Slide the forearm off.

Leaving an empty mag in the rifle (the follower acts as the bolt catch), lock the bolt back open, and you can now use a "toothbrush" dipped in Hoppe's, or your favorite solvent, to clean the gas piston assembly.  That is all there is to it.

The bore is cleaned as on any other rifle, but unfortunately, it must be done from the muzzle end.  Don't overdo it.

Remington supplies a Z shaped brush for cleaning the chamber and locking lugs, again, solvent and brush.

The trigger pins can be tapped out and the trigger group removed for cleaning.  Do not disassemble.  Just hose it down with Gunscrubber.  Then relubricate with Breakfree.

The bolt itself is not easily removed.  Just clean it in place by hosing out the inside of the receiver with Gunscrubber.  Some extra brushing with solvent on the face of the bolt will remove any thing not hosed off.  Degrease again with Gunscrubber, then lube it all with Breakfree.

Reassemble and you are done.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:43:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]
My brother has 2 of these 742 in 06 cal. They don't jam, they jerk the rims off the cases. Too much gas?????? I thought about trying to reload something with a fast powder and maybe some 150 gr bullet, downloaded a little from standard vel to get that brass out of that gun without really forceing it into the chamber walls. Any expert advice out there?
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:04:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Listen to what DennysGuns has to say, he speaks the truth!

I have been 'smithing for about a decade, and the Rem 742 is the most commonly seen rifle in my shop.

Hayboy, the most common cause for your problem is a dirty or damaged chamber.  Inspect one of the cartridges that gets stuck by tapping it out with a cleaning rod.  Look closely at the sides of the case.  You should be able to notice marks on it from the corrosion or gunk in the chamber.  The best way to clean it is have a gunsmith remove the bbl, or you could try some type of flexible rod with a brush wrapped in "0000" steel wool.  If the chamber is too pitted, the rifle is junk.

Balming
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 8:15:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Listen to what DennysGuns has to say, he speaks the truth!

I have been 'smithing for about a decade, and the Rem 742 is the most commonly seen rifle in my shop.

Hayboy, the most common cause for your problem is a dirty or damaged chamber.  Inspect one of the cartridges that gets stuck by tapping it out with a cleaning rod.  Look closely at the sides of the case.  You should be able to notice marks on it from the corrosion or gunk in the chamber.  The best way to clean it is have a gunsmith remove the bbl, or you could try some type of flexible rod with a brush wrapped in "0000" steel wool.  If the chamber is too pitted, the rifle is junk.

Balming

Well, I have shot MINE at the range and had zero problems.  I just was curious how to get into the gas system to clean it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Not dissing your rifle photoguy, I'm just sharing my experience.  Many of them that are cared for properly, and never have any 180+ grain bullets shot through them, will work for a long time.

Balming
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Let me suggest a nice load for your 742 in .30-06.  Using Remington or Winchester cases, CCI Large Rifle Primers, 51.0 gr IMR-4064 (medium blue can), and top it off with a 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.  This is a less than max load, will feed smoothly, and function well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top