Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2006 11:08:51 PM EDT
Are the JLD PTR rifles good rifles and are they reliable? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:34:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had no problems with my PTR 91.  I only wish my SW5 worked as well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:52:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Are the JLD PTR rifles good rifles and are they reliable? Thanks.

About as reliable as it gets I'd say. There was the match chambering problem with the first PTR's years ago, but JLD took care of that quickly by converting all the chambers to shoot surplus ammo better as that was what people were shooting mostly and not match rounds. I'd say if the rifle goes bang everytime you pull the trigger, shoots various ammo without a hiccup, is quite accurate not just for a battle rifle, but any rifle and will take a beating and keep on coming. Than yeh, it's a good rifle and damn reliable. You wouldn't get anything better by buying an HK. If there is anything wrong with the JLD PTR91, it's there furniture, it soundly sucks, but is easily changeable. As for the steel parts and machining, not a one that I've seen on many different PTR's over the years. I am very glad I bought mine.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:27:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Got a carbine and a full size, both mine are very accurate, solid, and reliable.  Factory furniture is awful.  Out of the box trigger is poor, but those were easy to fix.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had 2 and both have been reliable and accurate guns.  The only concern I have ever had
is that the mag well is out of spec.  (However, most people don't seem too concerned about the
mags fitting sloppy in their guns.)  Other that I feel it is the best value in a 308
battlerifle out there today.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Best deal in .308 battle rifle once you replace the furniture and send the trigger off for an upgrade.  

Figure the cost off the rifle $600 (Sarco) to $900 plus $50 for the trigger, $140 for new import furniture plus $60 for a US sear, trigger and hammer.  Optional IGF press on muzzle break or flash hider $40.  Find someone with a 20 ton press and press it on yourself.

Thus, a $600 Sarco gun will cost about $900 done which for a top quality .308 is a really good deal.

My PTR has had no FTF problems and the mag fit is good.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:11:09 AM EDT
[#6]
The PTR-91 post ban modle i originally bought two years ago was the deal of the decade and with shorter "K" model i aquired last December expanded the whole package into something more lighter and pratical.

I really enjoy having a short and light weight rifle with a utility of the shorter 93 forearm. the buttstock is a little cheap looking but fuctional.  I was so damm impressed by these guns that DSA fal went packing on the EE.    
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought the  "KurtZ" Model with an original collapsable stock and HK wide forarm. Needless to say, I'm happy
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I have three friends with PTR-91s and each has had his share of difficulties. Out of spec mag wells caused feed issues with one of them. The more frequent problem has been that the barrel was indexed wrong, so the rear sight didn't align properly. Cranked over to the limits of windage neither of two rifles would zero properly.

One guy sent his para model with the collapsible stock back to JLD to get it fixed, and it came back with that atrocity of an M4 telescoping stock on it. He also had some issues with poor customer service.

I like their receivers, and plan to build my own from a minty G3 kit on one. Based on what I've seen, I sure wouldn't buy a complete rifle from them sight unseen (pun intended.)
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Out of 2 PTR-91s ,the initial bolt gap shrank very quickly.

From .016 to .008 after around 700 rounds .

One now has a tiny indent now between where the trunnion
and receiver are.
I believe there was initially a very tiny space here,and shooting it
tightened the gap,causing the shrink in gap and making the indent.

This indent is barely visible ,in the 5-10 thousandths category wide,
and less deep,maybe 1/8 inch long .On both sides of the receiver
just above the weld.

I've seen other PTRs with the exact same thing.

That said ,she gets 1.5 inch 100 yard groups with Federal Match,
and around 2 inches with port.Slightly more with SA ,but still under
2.5 .
Never a single Jam ,FTF ,FTE ,nothing.
Flawless function ,and I mean flawless.
I've tested her with some really crappy ammo to,and this
rifle eats anything !

Does anyone that knows there HKs think the tiny indentation is
something to worry about ?

It hasn't changed now in an additional 500 rounds ,and since the bolt gap
hit .008 inch ,it hasn't moved.
Sights have stayed dead on.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
One guy sent his para model with the collapsible stock back to JLD to get it fixed, and it came back with that atrocity of an M4 telescoping stock on it. He also had some issues with poor customer service.

Yea I read that story on another board. I think the clown sent in a rifle in violation of 922...since he admits it didn't come with that collasible stock on it.

The US parts in these rifles varies from model to model. So by removing the US butt it came with, and putting the German one on, probably screwed his parts count.

JLD most likely "fixed" the problem so they wouldn't be partaking in a cross state lines felony through the mail system.

That is the conclusion I came to seeing as how incredibly simplistic(lack of details) and barely intelligible that guys post was. The people who responded had to fill in the blanks FOR HIM.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Makes my bushamaster m4 look like a toy.  Two thumbs up
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:I was so damm impressed by these guns that DSA fal went packing on the EE.    

No kidding?  What was it that prompted you to get rid of your DSA in favor of your JLD?  I've heard so many great things about the SA58 it's kind of shocking to hear that.

I've heard about the fouling issues with the HK design since they had to vent gasses back into the receiver, how long can they go without cleaning before they gum up?  I take great care of my weapons but I'm just curious about worst case scenarios...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#13]
A lot longer than an AR15, so pretty good to be honest.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:31:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:I was so damm impressed by these guns that DSA fal went packing on the EE.    

No kidding?  What was it that prompted you to get rid of your DSA in favor of your JLD?  I've heard so many great things about the SA58 it's kind of shocking to hear that.

I've heard about the fouling issues with the HK design since they had to vent gasses back into the receiver, how long can they go without cleaning before they gum up?  I take great care of my weapons but I'm just curious about worst case scenarios...

My JLD is far more reliable then my DSA FAL and yes the gas is set right. The JLD is fast becoming my favorite rifle!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:47:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Interesting that you've had problems with your FAL.  I have one built from parts kit using DSA receiver.  Put together by Gunplumber and I have to say that after 2-3000 rounds it has been 100% reliable.  Also a little less recoil than the PTR91and I like the ergonomics just a little bit better.

However, PTR91 is a great rifle.  Has also been nearly 100% after a couple of hundred rounds (I think I had one FTF).  It is also definitely more accurate than the FAL.  FAL will basically shoot 2.5 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards.  With the PTR its closer to 1.5 inch groups.  (Both these are with scope, but that's because my eyesight ain't what it used to be and I just can't snoot as well with irons.  (BTW the iron sights on the PTR91 are definitely superior to the FAL.).
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:01:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I shot an HK-91 for several years without cleaning.
Just lazy really.

Probably well over 1500 rounds , worked like a champ the whole time.
I have since cleaned the rifle and wont let it get that dirty again.

I suspect the JLD will perform to the same level if need be.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#17]
great to hear, thanks for the responses.  I've been debating back and forth over the two for awhile.  It's kind of hard since there aren't any real gun shops that cater to battle rifles in central Illinois.  Hopefully I'll be putting my order in soon...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine shows up Monday from Jensen Arms. They still have some PTR-91 K models.

Woot!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#19]
I just put another 120 rounds through mine today for a grand total of about 600. It's been 100% reliable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top