Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2009 7:31:35 PM EDT
It's been a few months but the safe has had a max of 40% RH in the last few months due to silica gel, golden rod, and generally dry climate here in the NE.  How often should they be oiled down in the winter months?  Is using a simple "silicon" cloth sufficient.  Guns are also in the "gun socks".
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I would like to know too...
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't oil them except for the mechanical areas that need lube.  I wax.  Oil will get displaced by water or moisture.  Oil will float on water.  I use wax.  It sticks to the metal and does not break down like oil, it doesn't rub off, and won't show finger prints.    I wax every 6 months with Flitz rifle and gun wax.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I use most of my guns often enough for this not to be a problem.

However, when I plan not to use something for an extended period I cover it in axle grease.

It sticks and prevents rust well. I usually even fill the bore of my rifles.

It takes a few minutes to clean off, but it isn't too bad.

I just use an old toothbrush and some foaming "engine degreaser" from walmart.

MAX
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 10:17:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I use most of my guns often enough for this not to be a problem.
However, when I plan not to use something for an extended period I cover it in axle grease.
It sticks and prevents rust well. I usually even fill the bore of my rifles.
It takes a few minutes to clean off, but it isn't too bad.
I just use an old toothbrush and some foaming "engine degreaser" from walmart.

MAX

usually the degreasers contain lye... are you concerned about damaging them?
Link Posted: 1/22/2009 12:02:37 AM EDT
[#5]

"Contains Aromatic Hydrocarbons [Benzene and Toluene]. Butoxy Ethanol [Ether], and Butane".

I chose a brand that does not contain lye. That being said I give the gun a good rinse right after I am done so it really wouldn't concern me much even if it did. Lye takes a while before it starts to cause any damage and water rinses it right off. Your engine is made out of the same material as your gun so anything good enough for your engine is good enough for your gun. After the rinse (as prescribed on the can), I dry the gun off very well then oil it back up. On a side note, the gun is VERY clean after completing this procedure. I also generally use engine cleaner after purchasing a used gun as nobody seems to clean their gun well before selling it. For oil I have started using 85W-140 "gear lubricant". It is about the same viscocity as Hoppes lubricating oil but only about $3.00 a quart! Remember what I said about things being "good enough for your engine, good enough for your gun". The only thing that I buy for gun maintainance that was made for the job are patches and Hoppes powder solvent because they are both still very cheap and I haven't found any better / cheaper substitutes.

MAX

Link Posted: 1/22/2009 5:08:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a couple long guns that hadn't seen light for close to a decade.
They are all in SackUp gun socks and had been oiled before they went in and they came out looking just like when they went in.

The sackups have silicone impregnated into the fabric that probably does all the work.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe half my guns never get shot and sit in the safe with a Goldenrod.  Probably every other year I swab the bore with oil and wipe off the metal with Sheath/Barricade.
Never had a problem.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I usually use a little oil or lithium grease on the moving parts before I store them.......works pretty good
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#9]
About once a year I pull them out and go over them with Ed's Red and then stick them back in the safe.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#10]
About once a year I pull them out and go over them with Ed's Red on the metal and BLO on the wood. Then I stick them back in the safe.
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I use only Corrosion-X now. It lasts for years. Great stuff!!!

Link Posted: 1/23/2009 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#12]
so I'm good with every 3 or 4 months then...
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 11:42:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Boeshield FTW

Watch yourself on the gun socks. I used one (new in package) once and it made all the guns around it rust in just a couple of months. Must of contained moisture.  This was with a golden rod and silica gel.

I'm much more careful now and do not use gun socks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:11:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Eezox oil down the pipe, Eezox spray on all steel parts, everything in silicone Sackups.

AJTurner1234:

That is an interesting point about gun socks wicking moisture away from the gun inside, but towards adjacent unprotected guns.  Was it the Sackups brand?  I had never heard about anyone having a problem with that before, but it does make sense.  I keep every gun but one (and that is an AR - whose exterior other than barrel shouldn't rust) in Sackups - in part to wick away moisture, in part to protect them from dings.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 6:54:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Eezox oil down the pipe, Eezox spray on all steel parts, everything in silicone Sackups.

AJTurner1234:

That is an interesting point about gun socks wicking moisture away from the gun inside, but towards adjacent unprotected guns.  Was it the Sackups brand?  I had never heard about anyone having a problem with that before, but it does make sense.  I keep every gun but one (and that is an AR - whose exterior other than barrel shouldn't rust) in Sackups - in part to wick away moisture, in part to protect them from dings.

I do this as well, and expect no problems (time will tell I guess)
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 7:14:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

AJTurner1234:

I use the Eezox also.  However, I just wipe them down and put them back in the Gun Socks.  I don't let it dry, do you?  also, are you supposed to replace the gun socks?

Link Posted: 1/24/2009 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Overkill IMO unless you are storing them in a damp are or you live in a real humid area.

Link Posted: 1/24/2009 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Boeshield FTW

Watch yourself on the gun socks. I used one (new in package) once and it made all the guns around it rust in just a couple of months. Must of contained moisture.  This was with a golden rod and silica gel.

I'm much more careful now and do not use gun socks.

That's really weird.  My dad and I have used gun socks for something like 15 years and we have never ever seen a problem like that.  I wonder how that would cause the guns around it to rust.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:28:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overkill IMO unless you are storing them in a damp are or you live in a real humid area.

basically the same climate as you... what about blued guns? any concern with rusting?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

basically the same climate as you... what about blued guns? any concern with rusting?

Same for the blued.  I've done really well with the Birchwood Casey Sheath or Barricade as its now called.  The only thing I am anal about is if I handle the weapon I'll wipe it off with an old Sheath soaked rag before I put it away.

If you ran a patch of good quality oil through the bore and put it away, you will see that the bore looks wet 1 year later.   I inherited a 1965 Rem 700 from my father that sat in a vinly and cloth gun case in a closet for maybe 9 years without being touched (everyting you're not supposed to do).  The bluing has lost some luster compared to new but was otherwise not pitted or rusted in any way.  

In a non-humid environment, a once a year cleaning is sufficient.  I'll stretch to 2 years if I get lazy.  Funny thing for me, I never damaged a gun by shooting, hunting or storing it.  Guns me or my buddies have damaged or scratched have only been from taking them apart and cleaning them!
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same for the blued.  I've done really well with the Birchwood Casey Sheath or Barricade as its now called.  The only thing I am anal about is if I handle the weapon I'll wipe it off with an old Sheath soaked rag before I put it away.

If you ran a patch of good quality oil through the bore and put it away, you will see that the bore looks wet 1 year later.   I inherited a 1965 Rem 700 from my father that sat in a vinly and cloth gun case in a closet for maybe 9 years without being touched (everyting you're not supposed to do).  The bluing has lost some luster compared to new but was otherwise not pitted or rusted in any way.  

In a non-humid environment, a once a year cleaning is sufficient.  I'll stretch to 2 years if I get lazy.  Funny thing for me, I never damaged a gun by shooting, hunting or storing it.  Guns me or my buddies have damaged or scratched have only been from taking them apart and cleaning them!

Although Barricade may work well for you, it is actually a poor rust inhibitor. Boeshield is FAR superior. I recommend you go to Brownells.com and research the corrosion testing they have done.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Another vote for Boeshield. Awesome stuff for long-term storage of anything metal. Will not harm paint or plastics that I've ever seen.

The key is to lay it on thick and let it dry completely. It's mineral-spirit based and drying can take a week. Get the gallon jug and spray it yourself.

I also coat the bottom of my Tacoma with it every year. But that's a different story....
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Funny thing for me, I never damaged a gun by shooting, hunting or storing it.  Guns me or my buddies have damaged or scratched have only been from taking them apart and cleaning them!

tell me about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top