Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2004 8:51:06 PM EDT
if you were shooting 00 buck out of say a 20" 870 12 ga, how much choke would be too much, meaning, can you have too much choke that it will deform the shot and ruin the pattern,, I have been thinking of getting a turkey barrel with the different chokes instead of one barrel for this or one for that, thanks for any answers.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:23:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
if you were shooting 00 buck out of say a 20" 870 12 ga, how much choke would be too much, meaning, can you have too much choke that it will deform the shot and ruin the pattern,, I have been thinking of getting a turkey barrel with the different chokes instead of one barrel for this or one for that, thanks for any answers.

You'll actually get more deformation from the forcing cone rather than the choke.  A full choke is fine on a 20", but I would have the forcing cone lengthened if you're concerned about patterns.  You will get better patterns and less felt recoil with a lengthened forcing cone.  Very inexpensive mod and you can do it yourself if you buy a reamer from Brownell's.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#2]
you wouldnt happen to have a link on how to do that would ya, if it is too much trouble I would just as rather buy a barrel for the 00 buck, I want the easiest solution I can, done spent too much on my ar. I was hoping it would be alright for home protection then I could use the same barrel for turkey in the spring, would it really matter at under 40 yards? 00 buck with full choke,especially at house distance, also , how would it do out of a turkey choke, make it about the size of a fist
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
you wouldnt happen to have a link on how to do that would ya, if it is too much trouble I would just as rather buy a barrel for the 00 buck, I want the easiest solution I can, done spent too much on my arhoping

Depends on specifically what type of shotgun you have, but you can buy a forcing cone reamer for about $50-$70 which would include sirections on how to do it.

But either way, you'll do fine with a 20" and full-choke.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, I think I will leave the reaming stuff alone and just go with a 20" with the different chokes, the gun is a 870, I had sold the original barrel a couple of years ago and found the stock and receiver in the bottom of the gun cabinet and thought alright I got a project to do. Its a 870 that takes 2 3/4 and 3" shells, thanks for all the replys.
Randy
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Do not use a Card choke U will blow the damn thing right out of the gun. I have one and I cant get my pinky finger half way down it . It is  12 gauge 655" constriction but bad ass for turkey shoots or ham shoots. MMMM fresh bacon is the best.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok Im dumb, whats a card choke
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#7]
A Card choke is designed for shooting #9 shot at Turkey shoot targets.  One can squeeze the smaller shot charge tighter than one can the #4's or 6's that you use for turkey hunting.  In twleve guage the choke diameter for the card choke is .655", for the turkey choke .675".  Two one hundreths difference!It works wonderfully well, too, I win about three or four turkeys every year!  

But i always hunt with the turkey choke.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, I dont think Ill be shooting 00  thru one of those, in fact dont even own one but at least now I know,thanks again.
Randy
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I would go out and buy a few different brands of slugs and grab all of your tubes and go to the range and shoot every combination you can and figure out what works best with your equipment. I have found that different guns shoot different patterns even if the choke tubes all say modified. My Remington 870 likes IC choke with 2 3/4" cheapo Remington or Federal buckshot.  One quick bit of advice bring a bag of shot to use against your shoulder. After a while the recoil may make you start to flinch. Not to mention shooting lots of buck or slugs off a bench hurts.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I ABSOLUTELY agree with Jshooter.  Try a bunch of loads, and a bunch of chokes.

Text books say modified will not work with slugs.  I bear witness that that is wrong.  I have a S&W 1000 that loves slugs with the mod choke tube- go figure.
And it really hurts shooting for group with 12 guage (Whoops we seem to be drifting from the topic).  I use one of my couch pillows stuffed into my jacket as a buffer.

And hey, Jshooter, you're from Ma, too?  where at?  Sorry for the highjack.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#11]
last time I shot for accuracy, I said screw the bench and kneeled.  I know it won't be AS accurate that way but much easier on the ole shoulder, and face too for that matter.  Plus, I used the brenneke managed recoil rounds and they we're powder cakes.  But I don't know if I'm going to use them for deer.  Seems it would cut down on effective range because of drop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top