Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/15/2005 11:43:18 AM EDT
Is it really that much difference for a casual shooter who would be happy hitting a paper plate sized target at say 400 yards or so?

Also, if a bipod is attached does this cause more problems for a non free floated barrell?

Also, I am referring do AR-15 rifles.....not super-duper sniper rifles. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:03:55 PM EDT
FF does improve accuracy somewhat, but not nearly as much as using good ammunition. I have a carbine that shoots 1.2 MOA from the bench with regular handguards and good ammo. It shot 1.0 MOA when I had it free-floated. With GI-type ammo, it shoots about 2 MOA either way.

IMHO FF is really essential when you are using a sling or bipod, where the point of impact change can be pretty substantial.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:21:45 PM EDT
I'd be pretty happy with being able to see let alone hit a paper plate size target at 400 yds. For where the AR excels at ranges under 150 yds you won't see a difference. However if you are talking about adding a bipod i assume your talking about 400 -600 yds.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:32:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By curt:
I'd be pretty happy with being able to see let alone hit a paper plate size target at 400 yds.

Not using iron sights of course........it would be with a nice scope.

Heck, I have almost perfect vision and the big paper target 100 yds down range gets blurry pretty quick to me.

I basically want to one day build a rifle for longer range shots. Either a 20" or 24" barrell and bipod and scope. Nothing fancy.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:33:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LonghornAR15:

Originally Posted By curt:
I'd be pretty happy with being able to see let alone hit a paper plate size target at 400 yds.

Not using iron sights of course........it would be with a nice scope.

Heck, I have almost perfect vision and the big paper target 100 yds down range gets blurry pretty quick to me.

I basically want to one day build a rifle for longer range shots. Either a 20" or 24" barrell and bipod and scope. Nothing fancy.

I built one with a used cryo'd barrel (20 inch) the first time i went out with it i shot a 5 shot group of 0.86 inches...i put it away and haven't shot it since.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:14:28 PM EDT
On average, based on my observations watching other shooters and their AR's, there are VERY few shooters who would benefit from the additional Accuracy a freefloated barrel offers. most shooters are weekend plinkers shooting what ever cheap ammo they can buy at the local Gun show. I like and Use the KAC RAS and think it is a excellent rail, Surefire also makes a decent non freefloated rail. just my $.02
Top Top