Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2013 8:02:49 PM EDT

How much dent on the shoulder is too much? See the photo. It's just a little dent, but it is there. This piece went into the scrap pile just to be safe, but is that acceptable in the future?

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#2]
It isn't a really clear picture, but it looks like it isn't dangerous. If you are being picky you put this in the plinking pile.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#4]
For 223...
I put the cases with dents near or above the shoulder (no matter how small) in the "Future 300BO Box"... Why? No real reason. Just figured it serves two purposes (no worry and more BO rounds).

Before I reloaded blackout, I would have just reloaded those dented cases as 223. Never had an issue with those small dents. But now that I reload both, it makes it an easier decision.

So, my recommendation, reload both and move on.

For other big boy rounds:
I am too cheap to toss a case for a small dent but not stupid enough to reload a really dinged one.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I have reloaded about 1500 this week and i'd say 10% of them have much bigger dents in them than those. You should be just fine. Watch for cracks, deep scratches, gouges, very uneven wear, and signs of case separation. Toss those cases aside to be recycled.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#6]
That case can be fired.  Cannot see it very well.  You might watch in future as that could be the starting point of a crack, depending upon the type and depth of the dent.

Risizing will smooth out most dents sufficiently for firing.  Dents due to excessive case lube are a special kind, and if small not a problem.

If I have moderate dents I will check the case and loaded round for runout with my RCBS gage just to make sure it is reasonably concentric.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:27:23 AM EDT
[#7]
its fine
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:04:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I would use that one. I usually judge by type of dent, if it is a large gradual dent, I will use it. If it has sharp edges or a kink I will throw it out because I feel it has been compromised.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Did you post the wrong photo?  I think you need to post a photo of the brass in question because you must have posted the wrong photo by mistake.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#10]
That's hardly a dent. It is nothing really, I've loaded cases with dents 10 times bigger than that and they were fine.

Just make sure they fit the gauge or chamber and shoot 'em. The dent will pop out back to normal when fired and you'll never know it was there.

Take it out of the scrap bucket and load it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#11]
It's ok, but you may want to take the die apart and clean the debris out of it.
Looks like a piece of corncob or walnut shell from tumbling got in the die.

I take my dies apart pretty often now and clean them.
It's amazing how they get crudded up.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top