Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/31/2005 12:37:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 12:42:19 PM EDT by Quarterbore]
I had seen a thread over at FalFiles were Dan confirmed he will be getting his kits back. Lucky me, I just spent $400 for a nearly Grade 1 Imbel kit (issues preventing G1 in the pistol grip and stock) and now I learn there may be more kits soon.... not that I expect a whole lot of grade 1 or 2s but we will see!

I have two more kits all planned out (Imbel Carbine and G1 Rifle) but I have been trying to stop spending all my money on AK stuff as I would like just a couple more Imbel kits as man I would like to still build a Para if I got the money for the parts (or could find the parts ) ...

I have dropped over at the Files more in the past few days the I have in the past six months just hoping to get in on this early...

EDIT:

Here is a link: www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=e267574a2e24fb3e64e4aecf6fc2f624&threadid=148297
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:45:53 PM EDT
I'd like to see them back, probably won't be able to buy any but more to just see a past screwing get made right.
I think it's a bit funny though, over on the 'files people took a simple one word answer from Dan (YES) to mean " Put me down for three grade 1s" and all that bullshit. They need a kit nazi over there to say "No kit for you" to some of them pudwhackers.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:38:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2005 5:06:11 PM EDT by keller]
Thats awesome. I expect the price to go up some but with 20k or so kits there should be plenty to go around. Looks like Im gonna scrap my AR10 build and hold off on another AR and build a couple of Fals. I hope he gets a ton of mags as well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:15:00 PM EDT
When I read the news I decided to buy at least one kit... as long as they aren't too expensive.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:45:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/5/2005 1:46:59 AM EDT by Maddogkiller]

Originally Posted By bishopm14:
I'd like to see them back, probably won't be able to buy any but more to just see a past screwing get made right.
I think it's a bit funny though, over on the 'files people took a simple one word answer from Dan (YES) to mean " Put me down for three grade 1s" and all that bullshit. They need a kit nazi over there to say "No kit for you" to some of them pudwhackers.

Why don't you volunteer to be the "kit nazi." It appears that you are well qualified for that position.

I too am anxious for DAN to have kits again. I look forward to doing business with Dan. He is one of the great vendors for our sport/hobby/passion.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:55:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Maddogkiller:
Originally Posted By bishopm14:

Why don't you volunteer to be the "kit nazi." It appears that you are well qualified for that position.

I too am anxious for DAN to have kits again. I look forward to doing business with Dan. He is one of the great vendors for our sport/hobby/passion.

I see I must have forgot a smiley or something in there. Yeah, I want to see those kits on the market again, but it's just humorous the way that thread went. Dan says "Yes (details later)" and nothing more, and folks think that's the cue to pipe up and start calling dibs. Like Dan is going to forgot to notify us when things change or something.
While I'm flattered by your assessment of my abilites, I would rather nominate you for the kit nazi position since you seem to meet the requirement of lacking a sense of humor.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:47:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:37:58 AM EDT
Which country are these kits from?

<=== FAL newb here.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:30:47 PM EDT
What we really need, is for the other Dan (Coonan) to get on with a massive receiver production!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:50:52 PM EDT
Im anxious to find out what these are going to cost. With close to 20k kits there wil be plenty to go around and hopefully the kit prices stay close to what they originally where. I had a grade 3 kit from Dan and other than some light exterior wear it was like brand new.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:57:54 PM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:59:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2005 2:00:44 PM EDT by Templar]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:08:54 PM EDT
No... these kits are from Chile but made in Brazil as suggested above. I have two of the Grade 3 kits that I built up and they make great guns. I also have a Grade 2 (darned near Grade 1) kit I just bought that I want to build up as well...

These kits had been caried a great deal but shot very little... With refinishing these really make some nice rifles... I still have two kits I don't have built so I am struggling with the question of if I really need more then four FALs...

Dan is one of the good guys and I am really glad to see him get his kits back... I am sure I will buy a couple kits for a rainy day...
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:23:19 PM EDT
Are they pretty easy to build up?

I ask because I was going to build an AK< but I would rather get a FAL. . .
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:52:47 PM EDT
This is the first of three Grade II kits from Dan's I built in 2002-2003 two on DC receivers and one on an Imbel gear logo receiver. I may pick some more of these new kits up.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:47:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Krazny13:
Are they pretty easy to build up?

I ask because I was going to build an AK< but I would rather get a FAL. . .

Building a FAL is much easier then building an AK! There are a few tools you need but you can buy them used and resell them when done or just go to a build party or make friends with someone with the tools... Gunplumber's video on building a FAL is an AWSOME piece and that is where I learnded how to do it... Look him up on falfiles.com as he is marking down his VHS tapes to make a new DVD version... It was like $35 for the 2 VHS tapes set with the 2 books while thay are marked down.

I may have some other tidbits here that may help:

www.quarterbore.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100

I need to update some of those threads as I do have some new projects and directions for those kits I have listed but I am curently waiting on a new Imbel Gear Receiver I found and a DSA Para kit that is back ordered... Now I wish I had that $900 or so I spent as that would buy me a few more kits for the future... not that I really need more then five FALs I guess.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:25:18 AM EDT
With there only being $400 receivers on the market, I'm having a hard time getting excited about the kits. I was reading the letter about the kit seizure by the ATF and the original price for these kits was $85.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:04:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mtchristman:
With there only being $400 receivers on the market, I'm having a hard time getting excited about the kits. I was reading the letter about the kit seizure by the ATF and the original price for these kits was $85.

No, the original price of the rifles I believe was $85. That doesn't include importing, sorting, demilling, and all the work that comes with making kits from guns...

...as for getting excited, in a couple years you may have a different view. i wish I had got into kits sooner as I would have a Thompson, Grease Gun, and perhaps a few other kits sitting in my basement waiting on me to develope the skill needed for some of these projects.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:55:05 PM EDT
I'll definetly pick atleast 1 up for trading purposes, but I'm looking foward to some inch builds.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:02:24 PM EDT
Based on some of Bob's posting over on the FALfiles it looks like there is la lot less than the 18k+ kits that most thought were available. It also looks like the kits are going to be selling at "todays" prices instead of being closer to the original.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:16:20 PM EDT
Damn.

If these kits are any more than $250-$300 I am not goin to be able to afford one.

I can hope tho. . . .
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:20:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Quarterbore:

Originally Posted By mtchristman:

No, the original price of the rifles I believe was $85. That doesn't include importing, sorting, demilling, and all the work that comes with making kits from guns...

...as for getting excited, in a couple years you may have a different view. i wish I had got into kits sooner as I would have a Thompson, Grease Gun, and perhaps a few other kits sitting in my basement waiting on me to develope the skill needed for some of these projects.

I stand corrected $85 for the rifle. Then if I read right they were selling the kits for $135 to dealers.

Luckily I got a couple of kits and recievers while they were still priced decently. It's hard to build a kit cheaper than just buying a new rifle when a reciever cost $400 and you still have to buy your compliance parts. A kit build would still be easier for the guy that can only spend $200 here and there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:37:59 AM EDT
The Grade 3 kits were $130 shipped and included a manual, bfd, and oiler. Other than finish wear they were like brand new. It would be nice to see the kits under $200 but we'll have to wait and see.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:13:53 PM EDT
I was very excited until Bob began alluding to the fact these kits will be in the $400 price range. I guess thats fair and all - just hard to swallow since I'm use to purchasing these kits in the 150-225 range.

I guess people will pay it in the end. ,,, probably me too... As long as DC starts kicking out some damn receivers.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:35:04 AM EDT
I bought 8 of the grade 3 kits when they were $129 delivered. Man, those were the days.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:25:23 PM EDT
If they end up in the $400.00 range, I may aswell just buy a DSA...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:39:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By R-32:
If they end up in the $400.00 range, I may aswell just buy a DSA...

EXACTLY! I'm not sure how the hobby could/would support kits that approach 400 and receivers that are basically non-existent that cost between 275-300. DSA looks better and better these days.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:33:16 PM EDT
Just hope DSA doesn't catch on and jack up their prices!
Top Top