Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2013 4:12:16 PM EDT
So I've started loading .38 special this summer, since the prices and supply went to shit.  Anyways, I use unique in my loads, and average between 4.5, and 5gr which are middle to high end loadings.  So, my question is how many loadings can I get out of a case?  I haven't noticed any real stretching, or anything, and this is my first experience with strait wall cases, so I don't know what to look for, also do these cases need trimming?    They were all at or under trim length when I loaded them the first time....
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#1]
You will probably lose or damage them before they wear out
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Think "end of time".

Straight walled cases don't grow like bottlenecked rounds do. The low pressure and the fact that they will be shot from a revolver (no extractor or getting tossed on the ground) will add to the longevity.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice  so I guess when the primer pockets wear out I'll chuck em'
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 5:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Till the sides start cracking.   Then they go in the recycle bin.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:50:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Roll crimping will eventually crack the case mouth.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on how hard you flair and crimp them and the quality of the brass itself.

Nickle plated is my favorite 38 brass but it doesn't last long before it starts to split.

Back in the 70s I bought a bunch of unfired Norma 38 brass, some of them only lasted 2 loadings before they started to split, it was brittle stuff.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a few hundred cases now, so I'll be in supply for a while, as I'll fire all of them again, before processing and repeating.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got some I've been shooting for ten years.  They've been loaded dozens of times.  They still look brand new when they come out of the wet tumbler.

Every once in a while a case will split.  But, it's rare.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Think "end of time".

Straight walled cases don't grow like bottlenecked rounds do. The low pressure and the fact that they will be shot from a revolver (no extractor or getting tossed on the ground) will add to the longevity.
View Quote

LOL Hitting the nail on the head.^

I got a few thousand. I think they will still be in use a couple generations from now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#11]
87 times
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
87 times
View Quote

YOU LIE!!.....I only get 83 reloads out of mine!!

PS: Brass cases will last much longer than nickel plated cases before they crack!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#13]
When you pick the brass up and notice a odd tinging sound as you drop it in the bag you have a split case, toss that one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top