Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2001 3:38:08 PM EDT
I'm just trying to convince myself that I souldn't bother with the time and expense of trading my right handed Ruger M77 for the same thing in a left handed model.  Since many models aren't available in a left handed configuration, I bet there's a lot of lefties shooting right handed guns, right?  Or am I the only one, kinda like Jimmi?
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you're the only one and he spelled it J-I-M-I. One "M" only. Get the left-handed gun. You'll be happier in the long run. Be prepared to keep it, though.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think you're the only one and he spelled it J-I-M-I. One "M" only. Get the left-handed gun. You'll be happier in the long run. Be prepared to keep it, though.

Doh! and Doh! again.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I started out the same way, shooting a right-handed Ruger 77. No more. I've got a left-handed 77 and a left-handed Remington 700. I'll never go back (my 03A3 the single exception).
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Guess I'm just used to it.  I'm also thinking of a Remington 700 P, but I think they only make those right handed as well.  I agree its not ideal, but I would have figured more people would be in the same boat. I feel discriminated against...  
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#5]
The thing of importance here is how many top benchrest shooters right handed shoot left handed guns.

They finaly realized that the firearm could be operated with thier off hand without disturbing thier site picture and taking thier finger away from the fire control.

Lefties do it all better.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The thing of importance here is how many top benchrest shooters right handed shoot left handed guns.

They finaly realized that the firearm could be operated with thier off hand without disturbing thier site picture and taking thier finger away from the fire control.

Lefties do it all better.

So you're saying I shouldn't sweat it?
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 3:55:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Are you a benchrest shooter? Is your rifle a benchrest rifle? Quit acting dyslexic and get a left-handed gun if you're going to shoot left-handed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 4:01:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I shoot anything with a scope right handed, pistols ambi but switching to left hand strong side, shotguns lefty with a bad habit of going back to right handed when I suck!! I shoot my bows right handed.

Ropes
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 4:11:37 AM EDT
[#9]
    I am right hand dominant; however, I have always shot long arms better left handed.  Started with BB guns when I was 8 probably because my left arm was stronger to operate the lever.  I shoot my bow and my pistols Right handed!?!  I have never felt handicapped shooting my right handed bolt guns left handed.  A bolt gun is not designed for a heavy rate of fire anyway, so that well placed first shot(hunting)is the most important anyway.
    Also, there is a very poor market for used left handed rifles, something to consider. By the way, I have learned to shoot both ways (right and left) which is a real advantage in a tree stand or if dominant arm is injured.  Shoot a little with your weak hand each range session, and you'll be suprised how second nature it becomes:>)
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:34:48 AM EDT
[#10]
After 10 years of fighting right handed rifles I gave up the bolt for levers, semi's, and single shots. 10 years of that and I decided to try left handed bolts. I'm glad I did. I've sold 2 and currently own a Win. 70 and a Rem. 700. If you're a deer hunter it won't matter. Really for most cases it won't matter. But there is a definite satisfaction with owning something that truly satisfies you. I never felt real comfortable with right handed bolts. And of course for years you only commonly found Savages or Weatherbys. Things are much better now. I'm still waiting for a left handed model 7 in .260 Remington!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top