Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/14/2011 4:07:55 PM EDT
The wife is getting on me about my collection of guns and I am not any where near what I want to have . I will admit ive bought a few this year but I want to get all I want before we move in a couple of years , cause i know I wont have the money then to buy them. So my question to you is how many is to many , and yes you can only shoot one at a time.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
and yes you can only shoot one at a time.

Fail,I can dual wield my USPc's..
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I try to keep my collection below 100 right now it is at 103. But decisions decisions
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't get the appeal of duplicate guns. Jcrowl confuses me. One of each is fine, I guess.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't understand the question.

Try this conversation:
You: "How many pairs of shoes is too many?"
Her: "Well, they're for different things."

Bingo.

My fiancee asked me once, "why do you need so many?" I told her "don't make me make a choice".

She's now my ex-wife.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If I had to try and figure out a minimum number of firearms it would look like this:

- 1 varmint rifle w/ glass
- 1 bolt action hunting rifle w/ glass
- 1 Bolt action in .308 w/ nice glass
- 1 Semi auto in .308 w/ nice glass
- 1 AK47 7.62x39
- 2 AR15 5.56
- 1 Ruger 10/22
- 2 good carry pistols (favorite caliber: 9mm/40/45)
- 2 full size pistols  (favorite caliber)
- 1 Pistol 22lr
- 1 Shotgun for Birds 12 gauge
- 1 Shotgun for Home Defense 12 gauge

10 Mags for each firearm.  1000 Rounds in each caliber.  Replacement springs/bolt/pins for each firearm.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Show her this picture and say "atleast your not married to THAT guy..." My wife deals with my guns, even puts up with the m2 setting infront of the Tv.

Heck, she did not even fuss when I dropped $4000 for a transferable sten mkII and the next day found a silencer for it.

Link Posted: 11/14/2011 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I think she should let us be the judges of whether or not you have too many
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#8]
87?
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#9]
One zillion!
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, if you have less than 30, you are fine.  If you have more, post a list and we will critique it for you.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If I had to try and figure out a minimum number of firearms it would look like this:

- 1 varmint rifle w/ glass
- 1 bolt action hunting rifle w/ glass
- 1 Bolt action in .308 w/ nice glass
- 1 Semi auto in .308 w/ nice glass
- 1 AK47 7.62x39
- 2 AR15 5.56
- 1 Ruger 10/22
- 2 good carry pistols (favorite caliber: 9mm/40/45)
- 2 full size pistols  (favorite caliber)
- 1 Pistol 22lr
- 1 Shotgun for Birds 12 gauge
- 1 Shotgun for Home Defense 12 gauge

10 Mags for each firearm.  1000 Rounds in each caliber.  Replacement springs/bolt/pins for each firearm.  

I started that wayNow I go with the impulse and buyColt,S&W,Ruger,ect make different flavors and I want to taste them!
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't understand the question.

Try this conversation:
You: "How many pairs of shoes is too many?"
Her: "Well, they're for different things."

Bingo.

My fiancee asked me once, "why do you need so many?" I told her "don't make me make a choice".

She's now my ex-wife.

+1

Link Posted: 11/14/2011 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Tell your wife to be quite and enjoy the fact you are not into Golf or Collector cars.
"How many clubs do you really need to play that stupid game??!"
"How many spare parts are you going to buy before you realize that rattle trap is never going to run again??!"
BLAH_BLAH_BLAH
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Two guns is one too many, ship all extras to my house for proper disposal.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#15]
A friend of mine at work his wife bitches about his guns and he might have 6 or 8...so I guess its all relative. I have a few I guess I should say and needless to say my Wife bitches from time to time...but she has come to realize me and guns are a package deal.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#16]
If you have 5 to 10 thousand guns in your personal collection, you might want to think about moving some into a museum.  Other than that I do not have any advise for you, if your wife holds you back to much, replace her.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I use to try and keep my gun number equal to my age.  I've aged a lot in the last ten years but not enough to keep up.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#18]
all of them

all but one would be ok though
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#19]
That question is about as idiotic as the question, how many books are too many. If you have to ask you aren't there yet.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Can she see them from the kitchen?
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Get a gunsafe. Out of sight = out of mind.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I just happened to think of something while talking to my girlfriends dad about this weekends deer season opener. Who has more guns? you or her dad? she might be scared if you have more than him or can out gun him.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I try to keep my collection below 100 right now it is at 103. But decisions decisions

I lost count after 100.

Link Posted: 11/14/2011 9:19:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The wife is getting on me about my collection of guns and I am not any where near what I want to have . I will admit ive bought a few this year but I want to get all I want before we move in a couple of years , cause i know I wont have the money then to buy them. So my question to you is how many is to many , and yes you can only shoot one at a time.
The trick is to keep buying them so they lose track of when a new one has joined the collection.  That and have a wife that understands that it is your hobby.  My wife likes to do mosaics, I encourage her hobby and show some interest interest and she doesn't hassle me about mine.  Its been working for us for over 30 years.

You can never have too many.  I thought I was near there, but then there is the NFA toys I want, and I was thinking about a Colt SAA and a nice vintage lever gun to go with it, and.....

Link Posted: 11/14/2011 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#25]
This thread makes me feel normal.  I only have 60, and that's mainly because of my C&R collection.  I'm pretty young though, and I'm sure it will grown into the hundreds before i know it.

Of course when most people notice that I have more than just 10 rifles, they give me one of these:
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 1:09:07 AM EDT
[#26]
to infinity and beyond !

Collection is the wrong word ........ not sure what to use.

I stopped counting years ago, but I buy many copies of what I like.
I like the gun safe idea, out of sight out of mind. But with 3 full size Ft Knox safes that can become a problem if you move. Ask me how I know? I need or rather want a full basement vault. I would like to have the problem of filling that, Oh goodie a new goal!
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 4:53:42 AM EDT
[#27]
An honest answer: Too many of anything is when you can not afford whatever the item is.  

If you are financially secure, it doesn't really matter.  But if you owe out the rear, then common sense and priorities must be set/used on whatever the item(s) may be.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
An honest answer: Too many of anything is when you can not afford whatever the item is.  

If you are financially secure, it doesn't really matter.  But if you owe out the rear, then common sense and priorities must be set/used on whatever the item(s) may be.

+1

This is probably the best advice I've ever seen given on here.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 7:27:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I would say when you start buying 2-3+ of the same gun just to have extras you may have a problem
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 7:30:36 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Show her this picture and say "atleast your not married to THAT guy..." My wife deals with my guns, even puts up with the m2 setting infront of the Tv.

Heck, she did not even fuss when I dropped $4000 for a transferable sten mkII and the next day found a silencer for it.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8757/200903200018.jpg

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A friend of mine at work his wife bitches about his guns and he might have 6 or 8...so I guess its all relative. I have a few I guess I should say and needless to say my Wife bitches from time to time...but she has come to realize me and guns are a package deal.

My wife is filthy rich, she and my daughter are two gun-nuts too.
They also have a bunch of guns.  
We shoot ALL of our guns, none are safe queens.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#32]
You need to get her a hobby so she quits bitching about yours. Her hobby should have a comparable size space as yours.

If you are paying your bills and still get her a nice gift every now and then then who gives a fuck. My wife gives me shit right now because we do have some debt and pending bills but I'm not buying new stuff. It kinda sucks when she seems me tinkering with something she has never seen before, it makes her assume it's 'new'.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#33]
My wife is amazing. She is a gun collector like me and every time I get something new she feel's the need to compete. For instance a few days ago I got a PS90 and a mini ACOG so she then gets 16" REPR with an ACOG. It's hard to keep up with her because I seem to always buy 2 of the same gun for backup/parts purposes while she only gets one of each.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I got close to a hundred.  Then one day I found some in the back of safe No. 2 with some rust on them.  

I decided that I wasn't interested in being a curator.  I sold about 2/3rds of my pile-o-guns.  It was actually therapeutic.  

I want to be a shooter and a user...not a collector.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 2:18:47 PM EDT
[#35]
It's a personal decision.

For me I would not own more than I could care for or properly secure.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This thread makes me feel normal.  I only have 60, and that's mainly because of my C&R collection.  I'm pretty young though, and I'm sure it will grown into the hundreds before i know it.

Of course when most people notice that I have more than just 10 rifles, they give me one of these:

Reason why there should make a forum and a range for us guys with lots of guns.
So "they" will leave us along enjoying our shit in peace.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I decided that I wasn't interested in being a curator.  I sold about 2/3rds of my pile-o-guns.  It was actually therapeutic.  

I want to be a shooter and a user...not a collector.

Same here.  I am thinning my herd as well.

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#38]
First, you need to start stockpiling lower receivers.  A good ARFCOMMER will have at least 4 stripped lowers on standby.

Get a C&R license and start by Mosin Nagants by the crate load. You may have to arm your neighborhood some day and you want a simple, cheap gun to do it.

If you catch the Glock bug, then you are required by Glock law to possess at least 3 different Glocks (preferably a full size, mid size, and compact).

Make sure you have a safe.  When it gets full, it's time to buy another safe and fill it up.  Make sure you purchase a separate safe for ammunition.

Buy some of those PVC storage tubes and bury several firearms around your yard.

After you have your stockpile, buy a boat and "load all of your guns on the boat".  Chances are, your boat will capsize due to the weight and sink to the bottom thereby "losing" your stockpile in an "unfortunate boating accident".  Gun owners and boating never ends well
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#39]
At one time I had so many I realized if one were missing, I wouldn't even notice it––-at least not right away.

I've thinned the herd considerably to a more managable amount since then.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 3:23:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I don't get the appeal of duplicate guns. Jcrowl confuses me. One of each is fine, I guess.

Do you mean exact duplicates, or guns of the same basic model?

In any case, I can see the advantage of owning more than one of the same exact gun:

1)  If its a defensive gun, you have the advantage of training.  If your backups are teh same exact gun, nothing new to learn.

2) You can station the guns in different locations.  One can be your "bedrioom gun,"  Another your "trunk gun" and another fro the range.  If they are all the same (or very similar) configuration, then training on your range gun applies to them all.  

3) When in a gunfight, bring friends, with guns.  If the S ever does HTF, there could be an advantage in outfitting any friends and relatives with guns of the same configuration.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:15:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 7:45:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A man has to establish firm boundaries with a women or she will never respect him. I'm not saying be an asshole, but stick to your beliefs.

You may not get laid for a while, but in the long run you will be happier.

It also helps when life throws you a curve that allows you to prove the worth of your guns. My ex-wife got pissed when I dropped $800 on my Para Nite Hawg in .45 ACP, she took it all back about 8 months later when someone broke into our house and got a 230gr hollow point in his arm (as well as a 10 year sentence for armed B&E). After that she had no issues with me having guns in the house, the problem occured when she decided to bring other guy's guns into my house and let them be stored where only my gun is supposed to be stored.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 7:59:26 AM EDT
[#43]
.[/quote] the problem occured when she decided to bring other guy's guns into my house and let them be stored where only my gun is supposed to be stored.[/quote]

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#44]
How many guns is too many?

When you honestly realize "I have too many guns!".
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
the problem occured when she decided to bring other guy's guns into my house and let them be stored where only my gun is supposed to be stored.

I'm glad at least one person figured out what I meant by that
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the problem occured when she decided to bring other guy's guns into my house and let them be stored where only my gun is supposed to be stored.

I'm glad at least one person figured out what I meant by that[/quote]

No... we got it. We were being polite in not saying that she "got both", like all good ARFCOMers.

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

This is probably the best advice I've ever seen given on here.

Hell, about the only usable advice I have ever seen on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#48]
I was to the point where I thought I was happy...

Then I acquired some old stuff and I am hooked. I have a bad feeling my gun collection is going to get huge
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#49]
ALOT more than I gots.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Collection is the wrong word ........ not sure what to use.

Names I use for my pile -

"the accumulation"

or

"the magnetic anomaly"

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top