Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 3:51:36 PM EDT
I think I'm becomming a watch junkie.  I'm up to 4 now a Timex Ironman, Casio G-Shock, Seiko Kinetic, and Marathon TSAR 2005.

I'm wanting a Marathon Nav Date 2005, and a Tan or OD Gshock too.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont own a watch
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#3]
What are the criteria for a "tactical watch"???

Only one that comes to my mind is that 5.11 watch/ballistic computer.

There are a lot of "status" watches that say neato military things on them............ "SEAL", "Stealth" etc.

I have a Casio G-Shock........................... I just need 1. I hit it with a hammer and had to get a nwe hammer................ Thing is indestructible. Looks new after appx 2 years of daily use.

I used to go through Timex Indiglo type watches in 6-12 months............... They looked liked they had been attacke by a belt sander, multiple times. I would only replace them AFTER I couldn't read the time. Most had no functioning buttons left. Some I would keep for DST and others for standard time, since I couldn't adjust the time anymore..........

G-Shock............ 2 years............. looks and works like NEW
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Hmm, thats a whole nother thread...but i would say.

Durable, with some level of impact resistance.
Scratch resistant face.
Some form of illumiating for the hands or digits like tritium or indiglo
Water proof
Subdued finish
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
...I have a Casio G-Shock........................... I just need 1. I hit it with a hammer and had to get a nwe hammer................ Thing is indestructible. Looks new after appx 2 years of daily use.

I used to go through Timex Indiglo type watches in 6-12 months...............

Must be a bit of a quality control lottery with Timex & Casio becuase i had the opposite experiance. I bought my Timex Ironman before i deployed to Desert Storm, wore it the rest of my elistment including Restore Hope. Wore it through the academy, Baker to Vegas, countless hours in the gym and years of LE work with only replcing one band and two batteries. Ir does have a small scratch on the face now and all the lettering has worn off.

My G Shock on the other hand eats batteries like my kids eat candy.  Three year old watch is on its third battery already.

Te least durable watch I ever owned was a Luminox.  Band broke in less than 1 year then I dropped it on a linolium floor and one of the hands broke off at the center pin.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...I have a Casio G-Shock........................... I just need 1. I hit it with a hammer and had to get a nwe hammer................ Thing is indestructible. Looks new after appx 2 years of daily use.

Must be a bit of a quality control lottery with Timex & Casio becuase i had the opposite experiance. I bought my Timex Ironman before i deployed to Desert Storm, wore it the rest of my elistment including Restore Hope. Wore it through the academy, Baker to Vegas, countless hours in the gym and years of LE work with only replcing one band and two batteries. Ir does have a small scratch on the face now and all the lettering has worn off.

My G Shock on the other hand eats batteries like my kids eat candy.  Three year old watch is on its third battery already.

Te least durable watch I ever owned was a Luminox.  Band broke in less than 1 year then I dropped it on a linolium floor and one of the hands broke off at the center pin.

You keep watches long enough to wear out batteries............................ I have a drawer full of watches that are too damaged to use, with functioning batteries in them.

I have little solar panels on my G-Shock to keep the battery charged
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You keep watches long enough to wear out batteries............................

Of course. I try to get maximum service life out of everything.  Hell my boots are 15 years old and my truck was 13 when someone else wrecked it.  

I do plan to buy a Solar Gshock when the current battery in my standard  Gshock dies.  Its cost prohibitive to keep replacing the battery when the 10 year battery model and solar model are available now.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I wear a Casio G-shock solar everyday.....

I do have one "dress" watch for those special places...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:58:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I dont own a watch

Same here
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:44:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I wear a Timex Expedition everyday. I've had that one for about 5 years now. My backup is a Timex IronMan.

Tony
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:22:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm kind of a watch junkie......

The 3 tac-ish ones that I rotate through would be:

1) Casio G-shock
2) Seiko Diver with custom MoD face/hands on a NATO band from MKii watches
3) Rolex Sub w/o date
4) Marathon Tritium faced Stainless Steel Navigator on a Zulu Band

good links for these

http://www.broadarrow.net/
http://www.westcoastime.com/

Blitz

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:25:46 AM EDT
[#12]
When I was in the Army, I got a Citizen Aqualand Promaster for diving.  It got stolen out of my truck.

So, I got a Citizen Navisail for sailboat racing.

I recently upgraded to the Citizen Navisail with the titanium and ecodrive thing going on.  I don't think it's tactical, but it tells me what time it is without fail.  In multiple time zones.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:22:44 AM EDT
[#13]
While we're talking about watches, does anyone know a company that sells Coyote Tan or Multicam "Commando Watch Bands"?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
While we're talking about watches, does anyone know a company that sells Coyote Tan or Multicam "Commando Watch Bands"?

www.westcoastime.com/newzulbanare.html

www.countycomm.com/BANDS.htm

www.countycomm.com/zuluTWOBUCKLEINDEX.htm
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Has anyone had any experience with Suunto brand of watches?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:04:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

A shooting buddy got one as a wedding present and brought it to our last overnight shooting trip.  It's huge, the compass is accurate but it's impossible to use on the move.  The altimeter must be continuosly reset. The thermometer is not accurate on or off the wrist.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:35:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I know some watch junkies--AJohnston and Stokes. Course, they go for Rolexes and other assorted bling....
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I used to only get Timex. Every year I'd manage to scratch the hell out of the face, and buy a new one. Used to get them for less than $30 at Wal-Mart. Great watch, imo. I used it as a dive watch too, tracking my bottom time and stuff when I dove. They say not to operate the buttons underwater, but I've done so at 70 feet with no ill effects. I loved this watches.

My parents got me a Fossil watch recently. It's nice, but has that clip thingy to hold the band together. It tends to come loose when I slap a mag in my AR. It is not fun trying to shoot an a rifle with your watch hanging around your elbow.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:57:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Buddy of mine has a Tissot T-Touch. Thing's insane.  You push a button and the hands spin to turn it into a real-time compass.  Yeah, the hands.  Anybody know anything about them?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:39:18 AM EDT
[#21]
"Tactical Watch"
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Does buying at at Camp Lejeune make it tactical?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Only one that comes to my mind is that 5.11 watch/ballistic computer.

There are a lot of "status" watches that say neato military things on them............ "SEAL", "Stealth" etc.

I have a Casio G-Shock........................... I just need 1. I hit it with a hammer and had to get a nwe hammer................ Thing is indestructible. Looks new after appx 2 years of daily use.

I used to go through Timex Indiglo type watches in 6-12 months............... They looked liked they had been attacke by a belt sander, multiple times. I would only replace them AFTER I couldn't read the time. Most had no functioning buttons left. Some I would keep for DST and others for standard time, since I couldn't adjust the time anymore..........

G-Shock............ 2 years............. looks and works like NEW

Could'nt have said it any better. Get a G-shock, they are tougher than nails. I have also had my atomic solar model for approx. 2 years and it is amazing.  I don't think I will ever have to buy a new watch, you just can't hurt the thing. I used to bust watches like crazy until I discovered the G-shock line. I will never wear anything else as long as casio keeps making them like this.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a Suunto Advisor, the compass needs to be recalibrated if you want to use it for dead nuts nav but it will steer you in the right general direction.   The altimeter once you figure it out is highly accurate.  I skydive with it and since my regular altimeter went out it's been my primamry, you just have to zero it prior to take off to get an exact reading.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Never thought of them as "tactical watches' but I have a G-Shock and Suunto that I wear.  G-shock when I am at work, Suunto when I am out hiking/camping.

I have a Rolex Submariner and an Omega Speedmaster, both of which I rarely wear unless I am in a suit.  The Omega I inherited from my Pops and the Rolex was a gift from a grateful client,

10-32
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#26]
they make tan g shocks??
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
they make tan g shocks??

Yeah, they're pretty cool if you're .mil.  Not sure it'd look that great otherwise.

lightfighter.net/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/3556008371/m/2401030431/p/1
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a Casio Pathfinder.  Don't know how tactical it is but it is huge and Denzel Washington wore one in Man on Fire.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a Casio G-shock for the ultra rough-and-tumble training courses. Otherwise, I roll w/ my Breitling.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

after a korean painter stole my Luminox, my wife got me a Suunto Vector.  good watch.  a compass you can recalibrate (pretty easily too), altitude (not very useful except during land nav in mountains), my only complaint is that the bezel markings don't last very long.  i'm pretty hard on gear, so that isn't very surprising.  each battery has lasted me about a year.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Ain't that the truth!   I bought this in 1992 from a Car&Driver ad.   This was the original brand name before they changed to Luminox and added the countdown dials and "Navy Seals" marketing.    No way this would last with a Seal.   My band broke right away, then the face started fogging up from taking a shower.   I don't even know how the second hand came off-  I was still wearing it when I noticed the minute hand was jammed against it and not moving.    13 years and the vials are still illuminated, but quite dim.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#32]
+1  Rolex Submariner
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:50:43 AM EDT
[#33]
1 luminox
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top