Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2007 11:05:21 AM EDT
Hi was wondering the rough turn around time for the response to a technical question when snail mailed into the ATF?  Days? Weeks? Months?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Send in the same question 5 times and ill bet you will get 5 DIFFERENT answers.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Send in the same question 5 times and ill bet you will get 5 DIFFERENT answers.

Hopefully I'll get the right answers the first time :)  Just seems that there are so many opinions without anything concrete on so much in the NFA world.  Planning on doing an SBR but want to make sure I know as best I can the facts on a couple of issues.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#3]
What are the questions?  On SBR, it's fairly straight forward.  Somebody here probably knows the answer.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What are the questions?  On SBR, it's fairly straight forward.  Somebody here probably knows the answer.

Main questions were:

1.  What to put for barrel length if I plan on having multiple uppers (shortest?).  Do I have to tell them if I change upper length?  If I don't know the length of my upper at the time of form submission?

2.  Legality of having more short uppers than SBR/Pistol receivers?

3.  Caliber marking if my receiver says "MULTI" can I put multi as the caliber on the form.

I have seen threads discussing all of the above or portions of threads.  But it seems like I have seen several different answers.  

On #1 I am assuming I just put the length of my first upper (although not sure what length I want that to be) I am hoping they tell me to just put the shortest length I plan on using as that would keep things simpler.  And I have seen some people saying you have to send a letter each time you change upper lengths or send some generic letter saying you may use whatever barrel lengths.  Just wanted to figure out what the real process is.

On #2 I want to see if I would get in trouble for possession of extra uppers if I also own standard rifles (constructive possession?)

On #3 just figured if they will let me put multi and my receiver says multi that should keep things more flexible.

I wish the ATF would just post answers to questions like this in a FAQ as these seem to come up in lots of NFA discussions but it is hard to know what is fact and what is here say.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 5:32:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I can answer number 3 for you.. You can list all calibers on the form at the time you submit it..  I have the letter from the ATF that says this is the way to do it on PDF, i could forward to you if you like.. Just shoot me an email if you want a copy.. [email protected]

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:09:43 AM EDT
[#6]
It's an awefully small box to list all the possible calibers...

.223/5.56
9mm

maybe even more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top