Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/30/2005 4:06:45 PM EDT
How long before a .308 rifle barrel will be shot out? I have chance at a good deal but need to know how many rounds before a .308 barrel is shot out.

I have a chance to buy a Remington .308 PSS with harris bipod and sling for $499. I am trying to decide if I should. But the finish is pretty beat so I am thinking it might have been shot a lot. I am trying to get an idea of the barrel life for a .308 rifle.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:10:16 PM EDT
Barrel life is really determined by how much heat the barrel has been exposed to. If the gun was shot at a rapid rate of sustained fire throat erosion is accelerated. If the gun was shot a a slow rate and allowed to cool between shots throat erosion is minimized. If the rifle looks like a 'beater' it may have been carried a lot and shot a lot without cleaning or care.

But, Remington rifles generally have pretty good barrel steel and are ideal candidates for barrel 'setbacks'. The setback process allows the eroded portion of the throat to be removed and the chamber to be recut. This can significantly improve accuracy. At a price of $499 I would offer $450 and be ready to walk.

If the gun has throat erosion it can be repaired and the finish is easily renewed by one of several methods. E-mail if any questions. Happy New Year. Charles the Gunsmith.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:43:27 AM EDT
I doubt a PSS rifle would approaching anywhere near it's life limit unless it was a military gun. Most likely it was the usual "carried a lot, shot a little", IMO. A look down the bore should give strong clues, if you can do this?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:55:50 AM EDT
Depends on the Steel and the amount of heat ( rapid fire).

Usually 2-3000 rounds for a truly accurate rifle.
TS
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:14:35 PM EDT
Is the bore dry or oily? Dry = no care. Oily = possibly cared for. Even a SS bbl needs to be brushed, swabbed, patched, etc because of fouling. Usually a well cared for rifle will show it inside AND out.
Top Top