Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2002 3:31:50 PM EDT
I've got a youth model (mine) 20 gauge I would like to use for home defense besides hunting. I would like to know your opinions on loading it with 3 rounds of 7 shot followed by 2 rounds of number 3 size buckshot. This gun is a 5 shot and shoots only 2 3/4" shells. No magnum. THANKS! CRC
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Dump the #7 and go with #4 shot .
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#2]
1100 20 gge......sabot slugs.....otherwise...#4works good.....
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Third vote for the #4
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#4]
4's with slugs after.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Lose the birdshot sizes entirely...they don't penetrate well enough for self defense. Many of the pellets may not penetrate deeper that 4-5" (shown in gellatin tests) and that just isn't good enough to reach the vitals. Sure, it will make a very large wound but it will be shallow. I would start with and stay with #3 buck as this is regarded by many experts as the best defensive load for the 20 gauge.

If you live in a place that causes you to worry about overpenetration, then you can use the lighter loads, but be prepared with extra buckshot as your second or third rounds to come out, as the birdshot may not stop a crazed or determined attacker. The buck will. Only use slugs if you plan on doing any shooting at a distance. You might keep a few in a sidesaddle or in a nylon carrier on the stock. But buckshot is usually far more useful and practical in a home defense package.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top