Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/30/2010 1:36:45 PM EDT
How does it rate, especially the reliablity? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2010 5:38:47 PM EDT
I have two. Both function just fine. I did have to send one back for an exchange because of multiple issues. The one the sent in return is beautiful. Because they are built off parts kits (no two exactly the same) I'd recommend buying ones that you can inspect yourself. I think the most common issue is that they shoot low out of the box. Most folks file the base of the front post down so they can get them sighted in (12-16" low at 25yrds is not uncommon).

Old photo of one that I SBR'd.....

Link Posted: 7/30/2010 6:00:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sunnybean:
I have two. Both function just fine. I did have to send one back for an exchange because of multiple issues. The one the sent in return is beautiful. Because they are built off parts kits (no two exactly the same) I'd recommend buying ones that you can inspect yourself. I think the most common issue is that they shoot low out of the box. Most folks file the base of the front post down so they can get them sighted in (12-16" low at 25yrds is not uncommon).

Old photo of one that I SBR'd.....

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac180/AssSupt/Sterling/P1060807.jpg

I've read reports of these impacting low. Any idea why this occurs? Is an issue of how the sight bases are welded?

Surely the difference between the loads these weapons were intended for and those commercially available here in the states wouldn't account for this sort of low impact at such a short range.
Link Posted: 7/30/2010 6:07:41 PM EDT
Not sure. The whole front and rear cap is welded/rewelded on from the original parts kit. Maybe something with the new barrel.? Or loads...I shoot mostly WWB 115gr.
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 12:05:16 PM EDT
Mine shot low also so I flipped the rear sight up to the higher hole and all is fine now. My 4 sterling mags are great and never fail but I had several sten mags and some misfeed and also some get stuck in the magwell and are a bitch to remove.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 5:25:22 AM EDT
Thanks, you all. I'm trying to decide between this and an UZI for my first sbr. I have no interest at all in buying a gun that suffers in the reliablity department.... let me know if you have any more imput.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 10:02:26 AM EDT
Mine has run great other than a broken firing pin (bought it used, no telling how many times it'd been dryfired before I got it). Easy enuff to replace, now that I bought an extra to keep on hand as back-up it'll probably never ever break another firing pin....
No jams at all with Sterling mags, Sten mags I haven't used as much because I don't have a loader & Sten mags are a mfkr to load without one.
+1 on it shooting low, I just flip the rear sight to the longer range setting & she's close enuff for now until I work out a scope mount for a red dot....thinking of using one of my '70s vintage Single Point scopes to give it a more Star Wars look.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 10:12:44 AM EDT
Impacting low ––-

I would give it a 99% chance the reason they’re impacting low is because of the barrel that Wiselite is using. Under the ventilated handguard, it’s a heavy barrel, and the original Sterling used a light weight barrel the whole way. So between the extra meat on the barrel under the handguard, and the extra meat because it’s a 16” barrel, the recoil impulse is much less than a Sterling with a military light weight barrel. Recoil is factored into sight in whether you realize it or not. The muzzle will rise almost imperceptivity before the bullet leaves the barrel. Because of the longer and much heavier barrel, the muzzle rise is less than a Sterling with a standard barrel, so the bullet impact is lower. I would stake my reputation on this being the issue.

Look at the bright side, hitting low is a much easier fix than hitting high.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:32:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By RiffRandall:
Mine has run great other than a broken firing pin (bought it used, no telling how many times it'd been dryfired before I got it). Easy enuff to replace, now that I bought an extra to keep on hand as back-up it'll probably never ever break another firing pin....
No jams at all with Sterling mags, Sten mags I haven't used as much because I don't have a loader & Sten mags are a mfkr to load without one.
+1 on it shooting low, I just flip the rear sight to the longer range setting & she's close enuff for now until I work out a scope mount for a red dot....thinking of using one of my '70s vintage Single Point scopes to give it a more Star Wars look.

Where did you get your replacement firing pin? I broke mine as well. I didn't realize they had brittle firing pins. I do dry fire practice a lot so....
Mine also hits low. Its abt 4 in low at 20 yards on the 100 yard setting.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:06:47 AM EDT
Good guns, reliable. Beware of doubling though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:06:48 AM EDT
I just got mine and put 100 rounds through it. Not one problem, It shoots and handles great. it does shoot low, but I knew that was a possibility after reading this thread. I used the smaller rear site and it does help, but it will shoot low. The trigger pull is light. I don't know if Wiselite will be building anymore so I'm glad i got mine.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:26:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 423aaron:
Originally Posted By RiffRandall:

Where did you get your replacement firing pin? I broke mine as well. I didn't realize they had brittle firing pins. I do dry fire practice a lot so....
Mine also hits low. Its abt 4 in low at 20 yards on the 100 yard setting.

Apex Gun Parts had some but it looks as if they're out now. Not sure WTF is going on with Wise Lite re getting parts from them. The firing pin looks like it wouldn't be too hard to have a new one made but paying a local machine shop for it.....

Top Top